Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Health and Wellness Issues    Should bias be treated as a mental illness?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should bias be treated as a mental illness? Login/Join

Picture of Eric
posted
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10389484/

"Mental health practitioners say they regularly confront extreme forms of racism, homophobia and other prejudice in the course of therapy, and that some patients are disabled by these beliefs. As doctors increasingly weigh the effects of race and culture on mental illness, some are asking whether pathological bias ought to be an official psychiatric diagnosis."............

Posts: 470 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should bias be treated as a mental illness?

Only if those doing the diagnoses are without bias. Only if political, social, and other opinions can be as rationally, logically, and assuredly arrived at as scientific principles so that there can be no doubt about what is a bias and what is just a difference of opinion. Now, certainly one might need treatment for repressed anger and such. But to shift attention to the actual views (biases) that one may use to express that repressed anger is to pervert science, to pervert the profession of psychology. It would simply be another way for the left to try to criminalize, euthanize, or otherwise de-legitimize opinions that they don't agree with.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider myself a "recovering right-winger".
It comes up again and again in my twelve step program and I still hang out with stockbrokers, ex-military personnel and people who grew up very white and suburban as I did. That's the culture I know. I still have a fear of non-Christians, as though it is my responsibility to convert them. I have hit many bottoms in this area, but have learned
to appreciate other points of view. Had a lesbian liberal sitting on my lap the other day, and I force myself to read people like Andrew Harvey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Harvey Frowner Smiler

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't really felt as though I had permission to
bring this up before, but now seems to be a good time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...High_School_massacre

I remember this well, since my first sponsor's wife
was locked in a walk-in refrigerator with other frightened indiviuals for hours, I knew a freind of one of the shooter's mothers, and a therapist and counselor at a neighboring high school, who assisted some really frightened teenagers. The pastor of the church I was attending at the time,
a very nice man who adopted a Chinese orphan girl
and was the first civilian moral chaplain at the
Air Force Academy at the time, was all over national television and all around town speaking
of the breakdown of morals and spirituality, the secular culture, etc. (Round up the usual suspects!) Wink

The other side of the argument said that the bourgeois values of affluent upper-middle-class
suburbans was to blame. (Round up the usual suspects!) Wink

How about both sides being partially right, but being bound up in the false self and their various
control paradigm interperetations, often might contribute to the very social ills they are desiring and conspiring to ameliorate?

What would be the God's Eye View, and how do we get there from here? Now that's the $64,000 question, isn't it?

no_more_columbine_massacres.org

Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
What I gathered from the article was that if you are not with mainstream views you have a mental disorder. What's wrong with this study????

Posts: 470 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Define mainstream. "Normal" is a setting on the dryer.

Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
I mean extremely liberal views that have no hint of conservatism to them. I mean from a moral and ethical standpoint not necessarily a political one. Which is actually hard to separate these days.

For instance if I disagree with homosexual marriage. Would this make me a sociopath? Even If I had no opinion on individual relationships only if it applied to society in whole?

Who can draw the line between morals/paradigms/discrimination?

It sounds like another form of labeling to me....