New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evolution and the beginning of life Login/Join 
posted
Jim Arraj has done it again!

http://www.innerexplorations.c...theomortext/evol.htm

I've only skimmed through it, but will read it soon. Enjoy . . . and let's discuss. Smiler

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still skimming as well. But this bit could fuel a whole thread for months!

Carter, reacting against this kind of extension of the cosmological principle, is saying that the universe is, in fact, a particular kind of universe because it must be the kind of universe that has given rise to intelligent observers.

One might gain an appreciation for this if one has read the Rendezvous with Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke. [Spoiler coming just in case you want to read it.] At the very end of the series it is revealed that God is in fact an experimentalist. He was going about setting several different universes in motion, all with a slightly different set of laws, and examining the results (Rama was one of many automated space ships He used to collect samples).

Of course philosophically it makes sense to say that only in universes with had the conditions which allowed intelligent life to evolve would anyone be around to suppose about the universe in the first place. Other universes that did not lead to consciousness would be "forgotten". What is interesting to me, though, is that if one considers what actually existed just microseconds after the big bang one would never suppose that anything very complex at all would emerge from it, let alone Barbra Streisand! It might not be the particular laws that make such a difference but just the fact that things "are". If there is not consciousness embedded into quarks (or whatever fundamental part or parts exist) then how could consciousness come to exist? I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm sure Jim answers all. Wink

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post