Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Morality and Theology    Pope Benedicts visit to the United Kingdom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pope Benedicts visit to the United Kingdom Login/Join 
posted
i just got through reading a CNN article about the Pope addressing victims of sexual abuse within the church and now how he is meeting with some of the victims in the UK... outside where he is meeting with the victims there are people with ' expletive-laced signs'..people are angry because in their eyes they see Him as not holding these priest accountable.. and giving lip service only..

do you think the Pope is not doing enough to hold those who did such things accountable?

and what would accountability look like? how does one balance accountability and forgiveness?

i pray for the pope.. i pray for the church as i think it is a huge attack from Satan...one that God is using to purify His church...

how have others here dealt with the grief of what has occurred and how do you deal with it in the light of your faith?

what do you envision to be a healthy response? certainly not holding up signs that are offensive... yes , i am sure they would say that what was done to children is offensive to God..and that is very true.. but two wrongs do not bring about healing....and healing is what is needed...

Posts: 281 | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by faustina:

and what would accountability look like? how does one balance accountability and forgiveness?

I think that's a very good question. I, for one, admire the Pope for speaking frankly...maybe it seems "too little and too late" to those who have been abused, so I can't presume to think I know how they should respond, but so few of our leaders in any sphere of life show that much integrity and humility.

Posts: 578 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
We had an extensive discussion on this topic years ago:
- see https://shalomplace.org/eve/for...10135/m/37510865/p/1

I don't know what Pope Benedict could do differently, though it didn't help that, in a recent document, many perceived the Vatican considered "attempted ordination of women" to be a grievous an offense as clergy sex abuse. They's since tried to clarify this position, but I'm guessing the Brits aren't too impressed.
- http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE66E2C620100716

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post