Find
Notify
Tools

7. Type Development Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
Resources

1. Slides 10 and 14 of the online slideshow:
http://www.heartlandspirituality.org/premium/slideshows/jungtypes/pages/index.html

2. Type development spreadsheet (pages 1 and 2):
http://shalomplace.com/res/jungtypes.pdf

Discussion

We begin to venture now from "parlor-game" typology to a serious study of type development and its implications. Lots of people have taken a test and come up with the four-letter code. They've had their type explained to them, compared it with others, and then gone on to pretty much forget the whole thing. They haven't learned that the discovery of their type is only the first step on a pathway to better understanding:
- their own development through the years;
- certain dynamics in their relationships
- even changes in their spirituality.

I will introduce, now, a concept that is central in Jung's psychology, and that is Individuation. This refers to the lifelong process of becoming whole, which in Jung's understanding is primarily a matter of integrating the opposing tendencies in oneself and one's relationships. Individuation, for Jung, was the primary challenge of adulthood; he also viewed the psyche itself as fundamentally oriented to Individuation. Becoming Individuated (integrated, whole) is not something we have to "try" to do, but, more, a process we learn to consent to and cooperate with through the years.

Slide 10 summarizes a developmental unfolding of the functions, and the spreadsheet presents a detailed breakdown of how this happens for each type. You will note that by the end of adolescence, there is a well-developed Perceiving and Judging function, which provides a kind of balance to the 2-cylinder Ego the conscious young adult has to work with. This enables one to begin to function effectively in the world doing some kind of task that is, hopefully, suitable to one's basic type.

In young adulthood, the third function begins to emerge for integration. This happens on it's own; you don't have to do anything to help it out. The third function is the opposite of the second (auxiliary), and so provides a stronger balance to the Primary function. If the third function is a Judging one, you will be able to evaluate by using both thinking and feeling, although the auxiliary will be the stronger. The same goes if the third is a Perceiving function: both N and S will inform your perception.

Note that the attitude of the 2nd and 3rd functions are opposites. Some researchers question whether this is true for all, but it seems to be generally so. It might also help to explain shifts in your own I or E attitude from adolescence to adulthood.

After 35-40 years of age, the Fourth or Inferior function begins to emerge. Also called the Shadow function, it is the complete opposite of the Primary function. It is also more deeply implanted in the unconscious, as slide 14 shows. More on midlife and the 4th function in a future conference.

Points to Note

1. Type development unfolds through the years, as the different functions emerge in timely fashion for integration.

2. Individuation refers to the process of becoming integrated/whole; this entails integrating the potentialities of the 3rd and 4th functions.

3. If two of your functions on a test you took seem to be almost equally developed (e.g., T and F), it's likely that one is the auxiliary and the other the third function -- especially if you're over 30 years of age.

4. One way to confirm your primary type is to note what your least developed function is; this is probably the fourth function, and the opposite of the primary.

5. If none of this is making sense, please be sure you've worked your way through earlier conferences. Wink

Questions and Comments

- Please do feel free to inquire, and to share how you've noted your own type unfolding through the years.

Posts: 3957 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much of our type and its development is inborn and how much of it is determined by issues and experiences as we grow up? For example, if a child is naturally extroverted, but is in an environment of abuse or excessive control, to deal with the environment the child may take on a more introverted behavior. Could this have some bearing on how the child's type develops over the years?

Perhaps, Phil, you could comment on the role of external forces/circumstances on type development.

My own type development: ISFJ
IS is my primary function. Even as a child I remember being quiet and content with being by myself. I would concur that the sensate function was strong even as a child.

EF is my auxilliary function. During my teen years I was very involved with a number of sports teams. Although I could hold my own on the field or court, I struggled with feeling that I was accepted and a part of the group. I would make decisions as to what would best help me to be more a part of the group.

IT is my 3rd function. I don't know if this fits, but in my early thirties I began to enjoy doing puzzles like the Criptoquip and Crosswords. I also can look back and see myself during this phase of doing more interior thinking kinds of activities. I really don't enjoy "reading for pleasure," but I will try to do it if I find the right book.

EN is my shadow function. I am in this phase now. As I mentioned in an earlier response, I find it difficult to identify an extroverted-intuitive activity to engage in that would help develop this function. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 01 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post