Paperback and digital editions

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It feels like heartbreak Login/Join

posted
I don't know if this is a spiritual or psychological emergency, but I have an ache in my heart, my chest. The same place that hurts in disappointments or heartbreak or loss. The weird thing is that I am not quite sure what it is my heart is grieving about!!!Is it that I am inwardly aware of a disappointment that I have blocked from my more conscious mind?

This feeling is the absolute worst feeling. And it comes most often in the middle of the night or when I awake in bed in the morning. It ha been going on for about a week. My heart just aches and aches and aches, until I kick the air and writh around in bed trying to "force" it out. I don't do that out of compulsion but its like frustration. If you remember when you had a pain you just wanted to end but couldn't, you'll understand the frustration.

Its not that new either. It is very familiar. Which is why I feel reluctant t call it a spiritual emergency, but considering it affects me, I guess it is an emergency for me. Like I said, it is exactly that wound in the heart (for me its somewhere under my right breast, near to the centre but still firmly on the right side of my chest) that wound that gnaws at your heart when you suddenly lose someone or something you had cherished unexpectedly. Or when you feel rejected. This is why its so frustrating. I know the feelng well, but I cant identify the event that caused me this heart-break I am experiencing in absentia. Perhaps its a delayed form of grief? But shouldn't it trigger a memory that allows me to connect the feeling with the event?

So confused (and frustrated).

Posts: 81 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 22 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
So sorry for the delay in replying, St. Rubia. Thanksgiving holidays in the U.S. and I've kept a distance from the computer to have more time with family.

First, I hope you have your physical heart checked out by a physician. Even if the problem you are experiencing inheres from psychological or spiritual causes, it could be stressing your heart. While you're seeing professionals, it wouldn't hurt to visit with a counselor to help you get to the root of the disturbance. Sometimes hypnosis can help. EMDR is also a good way to move blocked energies, often without dragging one through traumatic memories.

I know many kundalini writers would regard your situation as having something to do with opening the heart chakra, and that may well be the case. But it won't hurt anything in this regard to follow the recommendations above.

Spiritually, you can place your heart in the heart of Christ, and ask Him to care for you and show you the way to healing. I have found this practice helpful many times in my own journey.

Peace, Phil

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Phil. Happy thanksgiving! I am jealous of that American holiday, gratitude s such a beautiful tradition.

Thank you for your reply. I certainly hope there is nothing physically wrong with my heart Frowner But you are right I should get it checked out. I wouldn't want to let something slip by because I immediately assumed it was only emotional.

Opening of heart chakra? Hmm. I should clarify that I don't feel anything physical in my chest...ok, that's strange to describe: it is of course physical because it is clearly in my chest, but it is the kind of physical that comes with heartbreak, no tightness or muscle aches or anything of the sort. Also, its not in my center, its somewhere under my right breast(where it has always been!). My little understanding of chakra is that they are on the spine? If it was that then it should be felt right in my centre, right? Out of curiosity, were it chakra, what would be the solution?

I love the sacred heart idea. I have always loved the devotions of the sacred heart of Jesus and immaculate heart of Mary. Divine Mercy, as well. Thanks for the advice.

Rubia

Posts: 81 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 22 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hard to say, Rubia. Chakras are not so much physical as energetic, with only general associations with parts of the body.
- see http://shalomplace.com/res/chakras.html

That sacred heart practice I suggested (along with Immaculate heart of Mary) can help to steady oneself, spiritually. It can also be helpful to pray for guidance. What are you supposed to be learning from this experience? What are you supposed to do about it?

Spiritual pains are indeed of a different quality than physical ones, even when we feel them in our bodies. Still, the body can be stressed by them, especially when the pains are strong.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post