Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No intuition, no metaphysician. Login/Join 
posted
Where does intuition come in to play in religious belief?

Maritain distinguished between types of knowledge and degrees of abstraction.

The scientific method comprises what he calls perinoetic knowledge. Natural philosophy comprises dianoetic knowledge, which looks through things to their nature, their essence. Reasoning by analogy is called ananoetic knowledge and can be distinguished from the logical inference of science.

The first degree of abstraction involves this dianoetic approach concerning an object's essence, its properties. The second degree of abstraction leaves aside sensible qualities and natures of matter, as in mathematics. The third degree of abstraction concerns objects that are independent of matter, as in metaphysics.

It is important to recognize that Maritain is discussing degrees of knowledge and not rather different knowldeges. These distinctions are drawn only because the natures of various objects differ giving rise to differences in our manners of both grasping them and demonstrating our grasps. Natural philosophy (especially its epistemology) thus presupposes science while metaphysics has priority over epistemology. At bottom, then, it is the nature of the object to be known that dictates the structure of knowledge and the methods of the various sciences.

What, then, are we to make of the object God?

By definition, God is not an object Whose nature can be known. Philosophy and metaphysics can demonstrate the reasonableness of various inferences that comprise the different God hypotheses, but, as with certain effects of material or immaterial created objects whose causes may be veiled, whether temporarily due to some epistemic gap or methodological constraint or permanently occulted due to systematic constraints, only ananoetic knowledge of the coherence of the divine attributes is available in natural theology, which is to say we can only know what God is like or not like, analogically.

So, we can know from philosophy and metaphysics that God exists and what His attributes are even if we cannot, in principle, know God's essential nature. Where does intuition come in to play in religious belief?

Above we discussed the degrees of rational knowledge. Maritain sets forth degrees of suprarational knowledge :

1) One way of knowing God is by use of our abstract intuition , which provided us with other pre-philosophical presuppositions that could not be rationally demonstrated but which we could be certain of from experience and common sense.

2) Maritain speaks of another non-conscious knowledge of God, which he locates in what he calls the first act of human freedom. To keep this simple, this is the first time we choose the good for the sake of the good (and, to me, it sounds like an axiological or moral proof of God akin to that of C.S. Lewis in some respects).

3) But he also speaks of the ways of the practical intellect, which involve our moral and aesthetic sensibilities and is thus broader than this first act of human freedom.

4) Maritain also explores yet another nonconceptual knowledge of God, a connatural knowledge. He was exploring the relationship between reason and intuition, much like we are, when he formulated his beliefs regarding the different types of nonconceptual knowledge, incapable of giving account of itself, or of being translated into words.

It cannot be described any better than by Jim Arraj:
quote:
In Maritain's hands knowledge by connaturality becomes a fluid notion that embraces art, poetry, morality and mystical experience. It extends to the hunches and image-laden primordial insights of the empirical scientist groping towards a new theory. It aids the artist whose dim perceptions do not reach the daylight of consciousness except in the work of art itself. Connatural knowledge is found in the conduct of the good man who consults his instinct rather than a text on moral theology in order to decide how to behave. It is intuition as divinatory, feeding not only on the input of the senses but of the imagination, emotions and heart. And it was this knowledge by connaturality that was to play a role in Maritain's understanding of the mysticism of the East.

5) And finally, also from Maritain, via Jim Arraj, we have The Intuition of Being
quote:
Metaphysics starts with ordinary experience and common sense . This common sense is a pre-reflective and instinctive knowledge that can blossom into genuine philosophical understanding. With common sense we accept the fact that things exist, but unfortunately, existence is simply a predicate we give to each of the things around us, and then think no more about it. (13) What is lacking is an insight or intuition by which we glimpse the inner depths of this mystery of existence. And what is this intuition? "It is a very simple sight, superior to any discursive reasoning or demonstration, because it is the source of demonstration." (14) Intuition is not some spiritual vision that lifts us out of the human condition. It does not dispense us from the laborious construction of ideas and judgments. It goes hand-in-hand with these concepts and judgments, sometimes preceding them and sometimes following them, but always linked to them and vivifying them so they can rise to the mystery of knowledge in which we in some way become the things we know. (15) Intuition is the immaterial fire of the intellect. It glows and sputters and occasionally some breeze quickens it, and it flashes into flame. Then for a moment we see. These are the moments of intuition. They are not divorced from the normal ways of understanding, but permeate them and on occasion, lead them in unexpected directions. It is this intuition that according to Maritain makes the metaphysician. No intuition, no metaphysician. (16)

6) The last suprarational knowledge of God comes through divine revelation.

Intuition is no small potatoes. No side dish. It's definitely an entree ... an entry to the life of reason and of faith. Cool

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Below is my monthly token nod to metaphysics, this time on:

Intuition and Paradox
Main Entry: par�a�dox
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"d�ks
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin paradoxum, from Greek paradoxon, from neuter of paradoxos contrary to expectation, from para- + dokein to think, seem -- more at DECENT
1 : a tenet contrary to received opinion
2 a : a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true b : a self-contradictory statement that at first seems true c : an argument that apparently derives self-contradictory conclusions by valid deduction from acceptable premises
3 : one that possesses seemingly contradictory qualities or phases

I thought it would make for a fruitful reflection to juxtapose some ideas re: paradox since our experience of paradox is so closely interrealted to our experience of common sense and since common sense plays such an integral role in intuition and things that seem self-evident or immediately apprehensible.

Paradoxes can be categorized in different ways:

1) Veridical
2) Falsidical
3) Antinomial
4) Conditional

A veridical paradox defies common sense but is true, an unintuitive result of correct logical reasoning.

A falsidical paradox defies common sense but is not true, the fault in reasoning being more or less subtle.

Antinomies include paradoxes that show flaws in accepted reasoning, axioms, or definitions.

Conditional paradoxes are paradoxes only if certain special assumptions are made, assumptions that could be false or incomplete.

Kurt G�del's incompleteness theorem is the formalization of a paradox: Any sufficiently complex, consistent logical framework cannot be self-dependent' - i.e., it must rely on intuition (or some external confirmation of certain propositions, specifically, one that proves internal consistency).

Where does one begin with the paradox of existence? Can intuition help?

Peter Suber wrote an interesting essay The Problem of Beginning and it certainly touches on our pre-philosophical presuppositions, many of which are nonconceptual and not rationally demonstrable. How do we justify our use of reason versus intuition from the very beginning in our approach to any given mystery, paradox or intractable problem?

Suber inventories what we do and list the advanatges and sacrifices of each. We:

1.1 Justify the beginning
1.2 Begin with metaphilosophy
2 Leave the beginning unjustified
3 Begin with a truth which needs no proof
3.1 Begin with the self-evident
3.2 Begin with faith
4 Accept a circular beginning
4.1 Begin with a self-justifying principle
4.2 Justify the beginning by the middle or end
4.3 Identify the beginning with the end; prove the beginning by proving the end
5 Begin anywhere
5.1 Regress to the logical beginning from wherever one starts
5.2 Render coherent what you find
5.3 Reject ideal of certainty, insist on corrigibility
6.1 Begin with the presuppositionless
6.2 Begin with something negative
7 Begin with error, not truth
8 Begin with something non-cognitive, not knowledge
9 Begin with the idea of the first cause
10 Begin with realities, not the ideas of realities
11 Don't begin
12 Reject the problem

Why this way? Why that? Answers to the questions start the cycle over again. Hence the aphorism: you can model the rules but you cannot explain them. The confidence we have in the various beginnings will largely be informed by how narrowly or broadly we conceive humankind's epistemic capacities, validating or invalidating, emphasizing or deemphasizing, our possible ways of knowing reality, making it intelligible even while not comprehensible.

Maritain's perspective, a critical realism grounded in our senses, open to perinoetic, dianoetic and ananoetic knowledge and the degrees of abstraction (science, philosophy, math, metaphysics, theology) corresponding to the essential natures of the objects we encounter in reality, strikes a good balance between those who either too broadly or too narrowly conceive our epistemic capacities, sacrificing internal coherence and logical consistency. His degrees of suprarational knowledge and affirmation of different levels of human intuition resonate with the experience of the Shalomplace Bloglodytes!

For starters, it occurs to me that the items in Suber's inventory are not mutually exclusive but, taken together, themselves, reflect the epistemological holism of Maritain's approach, avoiding the epistemological hubris and excessive epistemological humility I have often lamented. Catholic theological and philosophical scholarship has taken many of the approaches, with certain qualifications and sufficient nuance, that Suber has listed.

For anyone who wishes to champion intuition, I recommend the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy article on Jacques Maritain (1882-1973), French philosopher and political thinker, was one of the principal exponents of Thomism in the twentieth century and an influential interpreter of the thought of St Thomas Aquinas.

Trust your intuition, but cultivate it first.

pax,
jb

Those who agree with me may not be right, but I admire their astuteness.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Huston Smith describes an experience he had in the late �50s when he first went east to a Zen monastery. The monk gave him his koan. Huston went off diligently and meditated on it for days. He came back to the monk, furiously exclaiming that he wasn�t succeeding, that he couldn�t crack the riddle. The monk told him to go back and meditate some more. Huston, again, tried his best, and worked hard at it. Days later, angrier than before, he returned again, still at odds with the koan. The monk, again, sent him off. He fought with it now, full out, and finally exhausted himself. He came crawling back to the monk, and quietly uttered, �There is no answer to this.� And his eyes lit up. And the monk saw and smiled, �Now. Put it aside. And move through.�
From Battle to Dance: A Writer�s Experience with Ego

posted Hide Post
Jesus Is
Human and Divine
Temporal and Eternal.
Eternal Word and Palestinian Jew
Brother and Lord
Crucified and Risen One
Alpha and Omega.

Jesus is the Concrete Universal.

+ + + + + +

Everyone who wishes to be a disciple of Jesus
must be a coincidentia oppositorum.
+ The reconciliation of opposites. +
Such is the Paradox of the Incarnation.

Every person must find his or her Paradox
to be a disciple of Jesus.

+ + + + + +

And The Hermit?

The hermit must
Live alone to live with everyone
Be silent in order to speak
Shut doors to open the door
Flee in order to embrace
Listen in order to proclaim
Be solitary to combat loneliniess
Alone to resist individualism
Say "Yes" by saying "No"
Forget in order to remember.

+ + + + + +

Lawrence S. Cunningham
Dept. of Theology
University of Notre Dame

=============================================

What's YOUR paradox? Cool

posted Hide Post
Here is Merton's Paradox:

quote:
Such expressions of paradox became of increasing importance to Merton throughout his life. In his collection of journal entries entitled The Sign of Jonas, he spoke of himself as a prophet taking form in the belly of a paradox. There are three particular paradoxes, rooted in a Zen sense of playfulness, that can be discerned in Merton's growing consciousness of his own monastic vocation. It is in relation to these paradoxes that the image of the Zen clown becomes most appropriate for understanding the character of his spirituality.

The paradoxes are these: (1) that the one (himself) who is celebrated so much by others for his sanctity, consistently refuses to take himself seriously; (2) that the one (himself) who manages to write so much (some 927 books and articles in his bibliography) begins to question the value of words; and (3) that the one (himself) who does so little (living in the woods south of Louisville for twenty-seven years of his life) is able to accomplish so much.

Merton as Zen Clown

I keep recycling the Zen Clown article because it speaks to me from many perspectives. I cite it here to help any reader of this post to formulate their own paradox. What's YOUR paradox?

This could make for a fruitful exercise for directees.

pax,
jb

posted Hide Post
Here's a paradox of the Shalomplace Bloglodytes:

The greatest spiritual teachers in Zen Buddhism were those who took themselves least seriously. When they met each other, they would roll with laughter at the idea that they were supposed to be holy and worthy of reverence-having somehow mastered the infinite in their teachings. They drew pictures of each other with fat stomachs and scowling faces, dressed in tattered clothes, playing in the dirt with children. They gave titles to each other, such as "Great Bag of Rice" or "Snowflake on a Hot Oven." Wang-hsia, a Zen master and artist in the eighth century, did half of his painting when he was drunk and would even dip his head into the ink well and paint with his hair.

posted Hide Post
I keep recycling the Zen Clown article because it speaks to me from many perspectives.

As well you should. I emailed that to my brother (who is not up to speed on the kind of stuff that we discuss) and he really liked it.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Christian Problem by John A. Sanford
quote:
The problem of the opposites in the Bible begins as soon as man makes his appearance. First it is suggested in the contrast between the two creation stories. The first creation story describes man as made in the image of God. �Then God said, �Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. . . . So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him.�1 But the second creation story says: �. . . then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground. . . .�2 This is not a contradiction but a paradox. Man is torn between his divine image and his lowly earthy substance.

The story of the origin of the opposites is told even more graphically in the second creation story�s tale of the first man and the first woman. Adam and Eve live in innocent bliss in the beautiful Paradise of Eden. Everything is permitted them, save one thing: they must not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Unfortunately there is one flaw in the garden of Eden�the snake. It tempts Eve, appealing to her desire for power and knowledge, �to be like God, knowing good and evil,�3 and she in turn tempts Adam. Man and woman eat the forbidden fruit. As they do so their eyes are opened, they experience shame, and in the realization of their opposite sexuality, they make themselves aprons of fig leaves. Their bliss is shattered because now they know the opposites. With this knowledge, guilt, shame and fear have entered into human existence. Now as they hear the Lord approaching they hide, but to no avail. He calls them, and Adam answers, ��I heard the sound of thee in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.� He said, �Who told you that you were naked?��4 To be told something is to become aware of something we did not know before. Now Adam and Eve know.

quote:
But how can the complexity of human nature be expressed as the whole, therefore Christlike, man? How can irreconcilable opposites be expressed in one life? Only through a highly paradoxical center of reconciliation, a secret known only to God, which can only be accomplished through the intervention of God. The first Christians said God chose to be born through Mary, by the intervention of the Holy Spirit, since they knew human agency alone could not bring the miracle about. Man�s limited and rational consciousness could not conceive of an answer to the problem of opposites.

Christ�s life could only end upon the Cross. Men were not yet ready to accept such a radical solution as that which God offered. So Christ had to be crucified on a Cross. The outstretched arms of this Cross express symbolically the opposites which unite at the center. The four-armed Cross is an example of a mandala, a design or symbol expressing totality through a circle or square. But unlike Eastern mandalas, which are more abstract designs, the Christian symbol is rooted in the earth. For Christianity emphasizes that the totality of the psyche is to be accomplished in this earthly life and not by release from it into �heaven.� Christ was crucified between two thieves, the one who repented and the other who did not; heaven and hell, the motif of the opposites thus being carried out to the bitter end.13

How are our opposites and paradoxes mirrored in the Gospel? Their reconciliation?

posted Hide Post
JB asked: What's YOUR paradox?

From The Zen Clown: �that the one (himself) who does so little (living in the woods south of Louisville for twenty-seven years of his life) is able to accomplish so much.

My paradox is that I do so little and I *still* accomplish so little. [Meaning, there seems to be a "sweetness" to those paradoxes you listed but it seems paradoxical that I'm not a beneficiary of such a paradox. And while this itself may be a paradox I still don't think I'm getting any spiritual juice from it.]

They gave titles to each other, such as "Great Bag of Rice" or "Snowflake on a Hot Oven." Wang-hsia, a Zen master and artist in the eighth century, did half of his painting when he was drunk and would even dip his head into the ink well and paint with his hair

Perfect. Now I may insult you and you have no recourse but to think that I assume you are worthy enough to be insulted.

Johnboy, you are a very decent person.

[How could I *be* so insulting?]

Big Grin

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fall in Bedford Falls
George detained by Feds for fraud
George lassos lawyer

posted Hide Post
How are our opposites and paradoxes mirrored in the Gospel? Their reconciliation?

They're all over the place, but when attention awakens in the True Self (i.e., Christ), the mind takes a back seat to direct seeing and immersion in the present moment. Then there are no paradoxes which grab one's attention; the mind becomes a servant of the enlightened consciousness, which has not interest in reconciling opposites. Opposites are there, but they do not disturb the mind or draw it out of its rest.

If this sounds profound and esoteric, it's not, which is why those Zen masters laughed so much when they met each other. It's naught be our ordinary, everyday mind--our basic human consciousness--simply accepting the way things are and moving in concert with the creative grace bestowed by the Creator in each moment. One can exercise the mind to reflect on what is known; perhaps this movement comes of itself. But what the mind grasps is always "second-hand knowledge," a re-cognition of what was known more simply and directly.

Listen to this master and see if this makes sense:

A monk from the city of Sendai in northern Japan asked Master Bankei: What kind of preparation must we undergo to enable us to conform with the primary mind?

Bankei: There is no "primary mind" apart from what is seeking the answer to that question right now. The primary mind, detached from thought, has a perfect clarity that is directly conversant with all things.

I found this most helpful at one time in my life when I kept bothering myself out of this kind of clarity by wanting to "understand" in terms of abstract conceptualization.

Then the knock-out punch:

(our conditioning, upbringing) . . . leads to a strong self-partiality, which is the source of all your illusions and evil acts. If this self-partiality ceases to exist, illusion doesn't occur. That place of nonoccurrences is where you reside when you live in the Unborn.

The "Unborn," here, being enlightenment.

There is in all of us an inner place of "nonoccurrences"--silence, stillness, clarity: sort of like a witness to our lives, observing our lives behind all that goes on. That see-er is always there; it's not something we create or build up with our minds. In fact, It's even the means by which we are aware of anything or know anything. This consciousness just Is, and we are not separate from it. When we wake up in that silence, stillness and clarity, the mind and emotions begin to take their true place in our spirits, not as masters, but as servants. Opposites are seen as just part of the way things are.

I'm sure Jesus knew all this, and that this kind of awareness rather than metaphysical speculation formed the basis for his teaching.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, that was VERY good. Muchas gracias. My favorite Gospel paradox, btw, is the Paschal Mystery.

It naturally follows that, when we are dealing with the conceptionless, the nonconceptual, the unprovable, the presuppositionless ... we are in the realm of the ineffable. As we proceed from direct experience and immediate apprehension there is a leap to the abstract, to the conceptual.

Our unconscious and undifferentiated sensing, feeling and thinking functions, experienced in their bubbling up into consciousness as intuition, are bursting bubbles that leave no conceptual trace for the winds of their conscious counterparts to blow around. This is, indeed, the ordinary, everyday mind.

This mind, through common sense, presupposes the intelligibility of reality and its own intelligence(s), as well as the existence of other minds. Whatever our derived belief system or worldview, to ask of this mind: Why those particular presuppositions (and others) is to send it into, on one hand, an infinite loop error of circular reasoning, otoh, an infinite regress of undecidability, not unrelated to the halting problem and Godel's theorems.

This meta-philosophical perspective comprises a formal argument for why the see-er cannot gain clarity about its see-ing by trying to understand see-ing in terms of abstract conceptualizations, our see-ing not being something we create or build up with our minds. We are not just talking about a Creator, therefore, when we say that we believe in order to understand!

We temper this approach, however, which would otherwise amount to the unmitigated fideism of Barth & Kierkegaard, with such a metaphysics, epistemology and natural theology that comprise the thomistic method set forth by Maritain, which establishes whatever we can certify by reason as a preamble to what we can know from revelation. Through all of our epistemological endeavors, there remains only one knowledge of reality, whatever degrees we might distinguish in our rational and suprarational approaches, wherever we might turn our attention.

We can take Maritain's degrees of rational and suprarational knowledge and try to match them up with Suber's inventory below.

Metaphysics and philosophical contemplation would be equated with justifications, metaphilosophy, self-evident or self-justifying principles, corrigibility and coherence, negative and apophatic predications, first cause ideas, etc

Out of the unconscious come mystical contemplation, mysticism of the self (natural mysticism) and the intuition of being.

Philosophical contemplation is more fruitful when accompanied by a well-cultivated intuition of being, Maritain says: I will not try and describe what escapes any restraint and is beyond any word.. nor to lead someone where access is given only in pure solitude of soul. He writes:
quote:
"There is nothing simpler than to think I am, I exist , this blade of grass exists; this gesture of the hand, this captivating smile that the next instant will hurry away, exist; the world exists. The all-important thing is for such a perception to sink deeply enough within me that my awareness of it will strike me some day sharply enough (at times, violently) to stir and move my intellect up to that very world of preconscious activity, beyond any word or formula, and with no assignable boundaries, which nourishes everything within it. Such a descent to the very depths of the soul is doubtless something given, not worked out - given by the natural grace of the intellectual nature.
Mystical contemplation would begin with faith, with realities so to speak, not the ideas of the realities.

A natural mysticism or mysticism of the self is presuppositionless and begins with the noncognitive . This seems to best correspond to the dynamism that Phil was describing above and can dialogue with the experience of enlightenment, cultivating a simple, direct awareness, a seeing prior to conceptualization (or, maybe in Lonergan's terms, after sensation & perception but before abstraction and judgment?).

At bottom, however it is we experience awareness of reality, there is only one knowledge, differing in degrees as proper to the nature of its different objects, and our intuition suggests that there are no veridical contradictions, this notwithstanding the existence of different types of paradox (whether veridical, falsidical, antinomial, conditional or otherwise). There is no peril in one's loss of interest in reconciling opposites [even if] opposites are there ... and there is no reason to allow the existence of opposites to disturb the mind or draw it out of its rest. We can taste and see these truths, even if not able to prove or justify them. In fact, whatever our route to awareness, experience is the threshold that must be crossed by all see-ers and seekers. We would not be seeking if we had not already found truth, beauty and goodness, however they may have presented.

We thus exercise the mind to reflect on what has been made known and how it is we may have grasped truth, beauty and goodness and how it is we have been grasped by Truth, Beauty and Goodness. We can thus better cultivate these modes of awareness and prepare to receive the many gifts of contemplation. Thus it is that, if ascetical theology is the finger, we can be sure it is pointing at the moon, eclipsed even.

pax,
jb

Suber's inventory - for reference to above discussion

1.1 Justify the beginning
1.2 Begin with metaphilosophy
2 Leave the beginning unjustified
3 Begin with a truth which needs no proof
3.1 Begin with the self-evident
3.2 Begin with faith
4 Accept a circular beginning
4.1 Begin with a self-justifying principle
4.2 Justify the beginning by the middle or end
4.3 Identify the beginning with the end; prove the beginning by proving the end
5 Begin anywhere
5.1 Regress to the logical beginning from wherever one starts
5.2 Render coherent what you find
5.3 Reject ideal of certainty, insist on corrigibility
6.1 Begin with the presuppositionless
6.2 Begin with something negative
7 Begin with error, not truth
8 Begin with something non-cognitive, not knowledge
9 Begin with the idea of the first cause
10 Begin with realities, not the ideas of realities
11 Don't begin
12 Reject the problem

posted Hide Post
Mortificatio corresponds to the death of childhood innocence and a glimpse ahead at the Philosopher's Stone, the reconciler of opposites. It is served through the humiliating process of facing defeat, frustration of desire, tragedy, suffering, torture and death.

What the glimpse at the Philosopher's Stone revealed to me was that there is a Reconciler of Opposites and that it is not me. This is the intuition (not a concept that can be proved) that the principle of noncontradiction universally holds even as we acknowledge that certain paradoxes, not all, remain, in principle, irresolute from our vantage.

posted Hide Post
My Paradox

Take, Lord, receive ... all my liberty
my memory
understanding
my entire will

Transform my understanding with faith
Transform my memory with hope
Transform my will with love

For it is
faith that turns knowledge into wisdom
hope that turns memory into awareness
love that turns willfulness into willingness

cosmic wisdom appears as earthly folly
cosmic awareness appears unaware of contradiction
cosmic love appears utterly forsaken
in sublime paradox, though,
the unseen & ineffable birth visions & truths
anamnesis births the now
compassion ministers its consolation to the minister

Thus
intuition marries reason
eternal betrothes temporal
self-emptying kenosis is wed to utter fullness

Thus
fully invoking only because we have been convoked
fully humanized only by our theosis
fully divinized only by Another's incarnation

Taste and see
the wisdom, awareness and love
nowhere if not now here
Taste and see
the truth
beauty and
goodness of the Lord

posted Hide Post
I'm sure Jesus knew all this, and that this kind of awareness rather than metaphysical speculation formed the basis for his teaching.

Our quest for the grail of comprehensive knowledge is folly and unholy.

Our quest for wisdom is itself wisdom. This quest, itself, is the grail. This journey, itself, is the destination.

From a Christological perspective, it is an intriguing exercise to consider the formative spirituality of Jesus, who was like us in all things but sin, who grew physically, emotionally, intellectually, socially, who grew in wisdom, age and grace.

From a Jungian perspective, Jesus would have then experienced individuation processes. From Maritain's perspective Jesus would have experienced all of the degrees of both rational and suprarational knowledge.

At some stage, certainly, he had a fully cultivated intuition of being and an intense and profound philosophical contemplation, as well as a deeply meditative prayer life. As Jesus grew, such concepts and abstractions, such as may have inspired His staying behind in the Temple to dialogue, such as fired His analogical imagination and informed His natural theology (the foundations for His parables of the Kingdom and His allegories of Our Father), formed perhaps the most dazzling and brilliant constellation ever to light up the firmament of the expansive human mind and imagination.

Certainly, Jesus' Soul took Him on a formative journey that was far more intense than any we could ever aspire to but I'm sure He journeyed nonetheless to that point where the firmament of His mind, at the dawning of His own mystical experience of passive contemplation, was illuminated by the most luminous and numinous of all supernovae of Supernatural Love, positively dimming the twinkling constellations of concepts, images and analogies, however bright they may have ever appeared previously.

There is also another psychospiritual dynamism, the mysticism of the self, or a natural mysticism, that more directly speaks to the type of awareness Phil spoke of above, a leaving behind of concepts to experience the soul's existence with all of existence and this shared thatness eventually leading to an experience of a participation with Self-Subsisting Existence. This is the then there is no mountain experience of nonduality, which participates in pure consciousness and direct awareness before re-cognizing then there is. This third part of the triad, then there is , does not mark the return to first there is a mountain , because there ain't no going back but is a way of perceiving essences with existence no longer in the background but always in the foreground, the thatness of every whatness shouting out at you in your interior stillness and quietude that, before cultivated, rendered this the voice of existence a mere whisper drowned out by the cacophony of concepts and essences.

Like the degrees of rational knowledge, which includes intuition, philosophical and metaphysical contemplation, these degrees of suprarational knowledge, gifted from the depths of the spiritual unconscious, which includes the intuition of being, mystical contemplation and natural mysticism (mysticism of the self), form a interpenetrating matrix of awareness, all closely interrelated, intimately connected and mutually enriching (to borrow liberally, as I have done throughout, from the Arrajian vocabulary and approach).

Maritain spoke of Jesus as having 1) a natural ego consciousness 2) a natural infraconscious (unconscious) 3) a natural supraconscious (spiritual unconscious) and 4) a supernatural supraconscious (divinized spiritual unconscious).

So, regarding the first aspect of Jesus consciousness, Emile Mersch writes: As far as His empirical consciousness is concerned, therefore, we can conceive that a real progress could have been made in the explicit formulation of the knowledge He had in His soul, and that His questions and expressions of astonishment corresponded to a very natural advance in His knowledge.

From Jesus' natural unconscious would spring ordinary intuition, feeding the philosophical and metaphysical contemplation of his ordinary consciousness. From Jesus' natural spiritual unconscious we might suspect an intensified natural mysticism and nondual awareness nurtured by a profound intuition of being.

When it comes to Jesus' experience of mystical contemplation, His divinized unconscious (supernatural supraconscious) communicated with His natural spiritual unconscious (natural supraconscious), such that Maritain writes:
quote:
"Through His infused prayer He experienced this world; He entered with His consciousness, in order to experience it in an ineffable manner, into this world where He was alone with His Father and the Trinity... And at the moment of the Agony and of the Passion He can no longer enter there, He is barred from it by uncrossable barriers, this is why He feels himself abandoned. That has been the supreme exemplar of the night of the spirit of the mystics, the absolutely complete night. The whole world of the Vision and of the divinized supraconscious was there, but He no longer experienced it at all through His infused contemplation. And likewise the radiance and the influx of this world on the entire soul were more powerful than ever, but were no longer seized at all by the consciousness, nor experienced." (26)
All of this has practical implications for our own contemplative journey. Jesus is not just our exemplar for the journey, though we can seen from the speculation regarding His own formative spirituality that He is indeed that, but is also, through His Spirit, the Perfector and Finisher of our journey, perfecting and finishing both our rational and suprarational degrees of knowledge of reality and of Ultimate Reality. Through His divinized spiritual unconscious, His experience of mystical contemplation in His natural spiritual unconscious allowed Him to commune in awareness of His place in the Trinity. Through the gift of the Holy Spirit, our ego consciousness, our infraconscious and our supraconscious can be transformed into a dwelling for the Most High.

When Jesus began His teaching, I'd suspect the basis of His teaching was formed by an awareness that sprung, holistically, from that interpenetrating matrix of contemplations, all remaining closely interrelated, intimately connected and mutually enriching, all neither radically apophatic nor kataphatic, none set over against another as mutually exclusive even if, when segueing from one awareness to another, there would sometimes be temporary mutual occlusivity.

What is interesting is how even the "enlightened" Jesus, the fully individuated Jesus, the spiritually mature Jesus, indeed did not discourse on the resolution of paradoxes, even when prompted or pressed. When asked why this or why that? , He did not give explicitly theological or essentialistic or philosophical or metaphysical answers. He turned every question into a relationship-oriented inquiry, solving it by prescribing right-relationships, human and Divine.

Think of theodicy issues that were posed to Him Why did this tower fall on so and so? Why was this person ill or crippled?. He didn't give an answer to why we suffer but suffered with us. His response is always relational and not legalistic or essentialistic other than to advocate first things first, Love being first.

Full circle back to how we begin? How do we ground our degrees of knowledge, both rational and suprarational?

Duns Scotus began with love. Love prepares the way for faith, which in turn prepares the way for knowledge.

Or, Mother Teresa:

The fruit of SILENCE is Prayer.
The fruit of PRAYER is Faith.
The fruit of FAITH is Love.
The fruit of LOVE is Service.
The fruit of SERVICE is Peace.

So, who is correct? Does faith lead to knowledge or to love?

Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville:
I love you and that's all I know.

Love, Peace, Faith
jb

posted Hide Post
Our quest for the grail of comprehensive knowledge is folly and unholy.

Our quest for wisdom is itself wisdom. This quest, itself, is the grail. This journey, itself, is the destination.

- then some masterful reflection by JB on the consciousness of Jesus:

--------

JB, how would you describe wisdom?

I rather think of it as a sharing to some extent in the divine's own perspective, which enables one to see the true worth of something and its relation to other things. The latter can include conceptualization, for that's bound to be how the mind integrates wisdom, but I would distinguish this kind of conceptualization from the kind that strives to define, classify, and fit things together in some kind of grand philosophical "system." Even when this is done in the context of Christian philosophy and theology, it might be naught but an extension of what Jack Haught (in reference to science's addiction to empiricism) called an "epistemology of control". This is not meant to take a cheap shot at systematic theology, only to acknowledge that (in my view, of course), it can lose its focus in wisdom.

Any thoughts on this?

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] JB, how would you describe wisdom?

I rather think of it as a sharing to some extent in the divine's own perspective, which enables one to see the true worth of something and its relation to other things. The latter can include conceptualization, for that's bound to be how the mind integrates wisdom, but I would distinguish this kind of conceptualization from the kind that strives to define, classify, and fit things together in some kind of grand philosophical "system." Even when this is done in the context of Christian philosophy and theology, it might be naught but an extension of what Jack Haught (in reference to science's addiction to empiricism) called an "epistemology of control". This is not meant to take a cheap shot at systematic theology, only to acknowledge that (in my view, of course), it can lose its focus in wisdom.

Any thoughts on this? [/qb]
It is sophia to chop wood, carry water, mindfully. It is sapienta to chop wood, carry water, mindfully and with great love. Substitute for chop wood, carry water: Systematize theology, meditate on Zen koans or cook breakfast. With sophia, we get along quite well but with sapienta we can move along quickly and unhindered.

Dear Tertullian,

I do have a longer answer.

You ask: What has Athens to do with Jerusalem?

Merton has drawn the following distinctions: immanent and transcendent, apophatic and kataphatic, existential and theological, natural and supernatural, impersonal and personal. Rahner has drawn a distinction between the supernatural existential and the Divine Communication. We draw distinctions, too, between the God of the Philosophers, the Unknown God of the Greeks that St. Paul spoke of, the God of natural theology, and the God of revealed theology, beginning with Yahweh in the Old Testament and culminating with Jesus and the Holy Spirit in the New Testament.

In that same spirit, then, let me propose to draw a distinction between Athens and Jerusalem, between the Greek Sophia and the Latin Sapienta. In the spirit of Maritain, too, let me suggest that we draw such distinctions with the aim of uniting and not separating.

Sapienta, then, would be Sophia perfected by the Holy Spirit both as a gift of the Spirit, for our sanctification, and also as a charism, for the whole Church.

In Fides et Ratio , JPII writes:
quote:
�........with the light of reason human beings can know which path to take, but they can follow that path to its end, quickly and unhindered, only if with a rightly tuned spirit they search for it within the horizon of faith.� (chapter 2, para.16)
The light of human reason, which knows what path to take, is, to me, Sophia. The search for the path within the horizon of faith is, to me, Sapienta.

JPII continues:
quote:
�(The Church�s) mission on the one hand makes the believing community a partner in humanity�s shared struggle to arrive at truth ; and on the other hand it obliges the believing community to proclaim the certitudes arrived at , albeit with a sense that every truth attained is but a step towards that fullness of truth which will appear with the final Revelation of God.� (Introduction, para. 2)
Sophia might entail humanity�s shared struggle to arrive at truth, while Sapienta proclaims the certitudes arrived at through faith.

We might look, again, at Merton, where Sophia and Sapienta were married:
quote:
There is in all visible things an invisible fecundity, a dimmed light, a meek namelessness, a hidden wholeness. This mysterious Unity and Integrity is Wisdom, the Mother of all, Natura naturans. There is in all things an inexhaustible sweetness and purity, a silence that is a fount of action and joy. It rises up in wordless gentleness and flows out to me from the unseen roots of all created being, welcoming me tenderly, saluting me with indescribable humility. This is at once my own being, my own nature, and the Gift of my Creator's Thought and Art within me, speaking as Hagia Sophia , speaking as my sister, Wisdom.
This Natura naturans and mysterious Unity and Integrity , to me, may very well be the Sophia of nondual awareness, cultivated in the intuition of being as gifted from the spiritual unconscious (supraconscious) and enriching our conscious philosophical and metaphysical contemplation. It may be gifted from that natural mysticism (mysticism of the self) that springs from the supraconscious in those given over to certain asceticisms and spiritual disciplines. It may be associated with what the East describes as enlightenment.

Merton continues:
quote:
At five-thirty in the morning I am dreaming in a very quiet room when a soft voice awakens me from my dream. I am like all mankind awakening from all the dreams that ever were dreamed in all the nights of the world. It is like the One Christ awakening in all the separate selves that ever were separate and isolated and alone in all the lands of the earth. It is like all the minds coming back together into awareness from all distractions, cross-purposes and confusions, into unity of love . It is like the first morning of the world (when Adam, at the sweet voice of Wisdom awoke from nonentity and knew her), and like the Last Morning of the world when all the fragments of Adam will return from death at the voice of Hagia Sophia, and will know where they stand.

Such is the awakening of one man, one morning, at the voice of a nurse in a hospital. Awakening out of languor and darkness, out of helplessness, out of sleep, newly confronting reality and finding it to be gentleness.

It is like being awakened by Eve. It is like being awakened by the Blessed Virgin. It is like coming forth from primordial nothingness and standing in clarity, in Paradise.

In the cool hand of the nurse there is the touch of all life, the touch of Spirit .

Thus Wisdom cries out to all who will hear ( Sapienta clamitat in plateis ) [Wisdom cries out in the streets] and she cries out particularly to the little, to the ignorant and the helpless. Hagia Sophia ... a prose poem by Thomas Merton (1959)
In the Christ awakening and unity of love and touch of the Spirit , then, we have Sapienta, the immanent and natural and existential Sophia, perfected in the transcendent and supernatural and theological Sapienta. Sophia is an invisible fecundity, a dimmed light, a meek namelessness, a silence, a gentleness ... ... Sapienta cries out in the streets. As the apophatic and kataphatic are mutually enriching and nourishing, perhaps we see in Merton the dance on the liminal threshold of Sophia with Sapienta.

We can look to Teresa of Avila for the same dynamism in the words of Paul VI:
quote:
And We might mention another particular point, the charism of wisdom . This makes Us think of the most attractive and at the same time most mysterious aspect of Saint Teresa's title of Doctor: the flow of divine inspiration in this prodigious and mystical writer. From where did the wealth of her doctrine come to Teresa�from her response to grace; received in a soul that was extraordinarily rich and well prepared for the practice and experience of prayer�We are undoubtedly before a soul in which extraordinary divine initiative was active, and was perceived and described by Teresa simply, faithfully, stupendously."
As Paul VI continues, we perhaps can best discern the distinguishing characteristic between Sophia and Sapienta:
quote:
"It is love�it is a love which we must finally describe as an espousal, for it is an encounter with a flood of divine love , descending to meet human love, which strives with all its might to ascend. It is the most intimate and the strongest union with God which is given to a soul living on this earth to experience. It turns into light, it turns into wisdom , wisdom in divine things, wisdom in human things."
At bottom, then, it is love that turns into wisdom. The nondual awareness of Sophia must penetrate through esse or existence to Ipsum Esse Subsistens or Self-Subsisting Existence, from the experience of impersonal, immanent being to the experience of personal, transcendent being, in a relationship of Love, which, itself, gifts Sapienta.

quote:
"No one, however, must entertain the notion that private individuals are prevented from taking some active part in this duty of teaching, especially those on whom God has bestowed gifts of mind with the strong wish of rendering themselves useful. These, so often as circumstances demand, may take upon themselves, not, indeed, the office "of the pastor, but the task of communicating to others what they have themselves, received , becoming, as it were, living echoes of their masters in the faith." Sapienta Christianae, Pope Leo XIII, 1890, par. 16.
As we draw distinctions between Sophia and Sapienta (which is just my own mnemonic; I'm sure it has no traction among the theologians), we know they are NOT separate paths. Systematic theology and Mystical/Ascetical theology are but one path, along with all human cognition and intuition, along with philosophical and metaphysical contemplation, along with the intuition of being, mysticism of self and mystical contemplation, along with all of the elements of Maritain's epistemology in its degrees of knowledge and of abstraction.

Thusly, the enterprise of conceptualization that integrates the true worth of something and its relation to other things and the enterprise of conceptualization that strives to define, classify, and fit things together in some kind of grand philosophical "system." also comprise but one path (one taken, for instance, by Bonaventure, Aquinas, Duns Scotus, Ockham). No, I do not at all believe that it is in any particular act of the intellect or any particular enterprise of the intellect that we can locate the proper distinction between sophia and sapienta, between natural wisdom and supernatural wisdom. An epistemology of control, as evidenced in scientism , has its counterpart in fideism, which attempts to control humankind's epistemological enterprises, too. Scientism blindly embraces empiricism while fideism confuses epistemology and ontology, both amounting to an epsitemological hubris or hegemony.

What, then, is Wisdom? It is when any act or enterprise of human intelligence(s) [cognitive intelligence, emotional intelligence, kinesthetic intelligence, musical intelligence, mathematical intelligence, linguistic intelligence, spatial intelligence, logical intelligence, interpersonal intelligence, intrapersonal intelligence] is animated by willingness and not rather willfulness, is energized by love, which is a matter of the will. It is not mere mindfulness or awareness that transforms sophia into sapienta but a matter of the will that elevates our minds and hearts to God. Wisdom is the perfection of knowledge showing itself in action, a principle soliciting man's will , is personified, and her nature, attributes, and operation are no less than Divine, is represented as immanent with the "Holy Spirit [this litany taken from New Advent]. These seem to speak of the sapienta aspect of wisdom.

Full circle back to paradox and contradictions, Jung says:
quote:
"...these symbols have the character of 'wholeness' and therefore presumably mean wholeness. As a rule they are 'uniting' symbols, representing the conjunction of a single or double pair of opposites,...All these images are found, empirically, to be expressions for the unified wholeness of man....Wherever...we find symbols indicative of psychic wholeness, we encounter the naive idea that they stand for God"
and this seems to speak of the sophia aspect of wisdom.

Therese of Lisieux may have defined wisdom when she said Do small things with great love. Wisdom, as intelligence(s) plus love, thus shares to a great extent in the divine's own perspective, which enables one to see the true worth of something and its relation to other things.

In natural theology or philosophical contemplation, one might learn that any system that is complete is inconsistent, that any system that is consistent is incomplete, that paradox is inescapable, that contradictions abound, that infinite regress or circular logic are the only systems attainable, that question begging is unavoidable, that a system's axioms are unprovable in that system, that only parts of reality are both comprehensible and intelligible and the whole of reality is intelligible but not comprehensible ...

Natural theology can hypothesize that perhaps there is a vantage point that SEES reality completely and consistently, that SEES in a manner that is consistently comprehensive and comprehensively consistent, that SEES no veridical contradictions, that SEES no paradox, that SEES an end to infinite regress, that SEES the cessation of circular logic. This could only be a Divine Perspective that would SEE such things, for the world's greatest logicians and mathematicians and philosophers have proved that the above-described vantage point is unattainable, not to be had by humankind.

Does any human share such a Divine perspective? The very first principles, our basic pre-philosophical approach, our philosophical presuppositions, not rationally demonstrable, all intuitive, perhaps best known, collectively, as common sense, all embrace the principles of identity, of noncontradiction, of the excluded middle, and such. We don't know HOW all paradox is ultimately reconciled, HOW it could be that no contradictions are veridical, HOW a comprehensive grasp could also be consistent, HOW infinite regress and circular logic are brought to end, but we instinctively know THAT reality would be utterly and hopelessly absurd otherwise.

Common sense, then, is the beginning of wisdom, of sophia. It senses in all visible things an invisible fecundity, a dimmed light, a meek namelessness, a hidden wholeness, a mysterious Unity and Integrity, Natura naturans, an inexhaustible sweetness and purity, a silence, a fount of action and joy, rising up in wordless gentleness and flowing out to us from the unseen roots of all created being. It is not HOW this is so but THAT this is so that sophia knows.

When a human shares the perspective THAT all things are related, the SEE-ER must be the Divine within because no human intellection can so render a glimpse at such a grasp of reality, which is both comprehensive and consistent (human intellection, in fact, disclaims the possibility). This is sophia, the immanent God.

In the first act of human freedom, when we pursue the good for the sake of the good, we begin our journey into sapienta. When, with an act of the will, and with repeated acts of the will we affirm this relatedness of all things SEEing their worth, LOVE becomes the perfection of a knowledge showing itself in action. Sapienta becomes the perfection of Sophia showing itself in action (the transcendent God, the Holy Spirit). Whenever we engage any knowledge or intelligence of any variety or degree with Love, Wisdom is present. Mary is thus the Seat of Wisdom. The Little Flower is thus a Doctor of the Church. Aquinas was just a philosopher and systematic theologian in one sense but likely became the definitve Angelic Doctor when he noted that, without love, his writings were so much straw. A systematic theologian can be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal ... but, truly, only if she lacks love.

It has been said that the first step in discerning the presence of the Holy Spirit is to look for common sense. Common sense has an intuitive aspect that defies rational explanation, based as it is on self-evident presuppositions. This ineffability could well be the mark of a SEE-ER within all of us. When a relational aspect with this SEE-ER within unfolds and Love ensues of this SEE-ER within and all of the created order wherein S/he SEES, natural wisdom has transmuted into supernatural wisdom. There is definitely a type of human awareness that transcends innate human intelligences and which can only be a participation in what Someone Else is SEE-ing.

See?
jb

posted Hide Post
That was a very wise answer, JB. Wink Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on this topic.

I very much concur that wisdom is much more than awareness or knowledge, but evaluation in the context of love. Since we believe that God is love, it follows that wisdom is a kind of seeing things from the divine's p.o.v. I think your point about willingness being something of a pivotal virtue is most important.

I also like your affirmation of common sense as a type of wisdom. Maybe we should add a sense of humor to the mix as well, if for no other reason than the frequency it manifests among wise people.

posted Hide Post
I think your point about willingness being something of a pivotal virtue is most important.

I wonder how much of the disagreement with Duns Scotus and Aquinas re: the primacy of the will vs the intellect resulted from a sort of false dichotomy? such as between faith and good works? To know God is to love God. Being reasonable is a loving thing to do. Loving is a reasonable thing to do. Duns Scotus, unmitigated, would lead to fideism. Aquinas, unmitgated, would lead to rationalism/empiricism. Somewhere, in all of this, Maritain's knowledge through connaturality seems to best capture the dynamism of combining the act of knowledge with the act of love? What say you to this issue, mon ami?

posted Hide Post
Maybe we should add a sense of humor to the mix as well, if for no other reason than the frequency it manifests among wise people.

I�m blushing.

Big Grin

But seriously, this in an interesting discussion. I�m just wise enough to shut up and listen. Or was. Ooops.

posted Hide Post
What say you to this issue, mon ami?

I say . . . "Let's all sit down." (Wise rabbi, in "Fiddler on the Roof")

And . . . I think Maritain has extended the old understandings on wisdom with his teachings on connaturality and the intuition of being. Also, Arraj has extended Maritain. Smiler

Re. Brad's contribution -- I do believe humor has an "angle" on things, if it's used "wisely" (there's that word again). It can help to break tension, change perspective, and open doors to relationship. Of course, it can be used to hurt people as well, as in ridicule and certain forms of sarcasm. Powerful force!

posted Hide Post
reality would be utterly and hopelessly absurd otherwise.

Adler gives us the guide that a self-evident truth is one whose opposite is unimaginable. I think it was Zeno's backdoor that introduced the reductio ad absurdum, a process of refutation on grounds that absurd � and patently untenable consequences would ensue from accepting the item at issue. Common sense and intuition rely on self-evident truth. At the same time, like any knowledge, common sense and intuition must be cultivated, because some counter-intuitive results, such as non-Euclidean geometry, are sometimes found to be true. [Also, a reliance on reductio ad absurdum arguments runs the risk of committing the fallacies of begging the question, and slippery slope, ergo caveat emptor.]

On the whole, the gift of Wisdom, for our sanctification, and the charism of Wisdom, for building the church, are manifest in common sense, uncommon as it may seem, sometimes. From the mouths of babes comes wisdom. The First Cause and the Unmoved Mover and the Incomprehensible Consistent Comprehender, the negation of infinite regress and cessation of circular logic, are just common sense, nothing that a system like non-Euclidean geometry will ever unravel. To reject these propositions is to saw off the epistemological limb one sits on, to knock down the epistemological ladder one has climbed, to dance, epistemologically, with someone other than brought you to the Epistemological Ball, rendering your system complete but inconsistent Wink

Trust your intuition, but cultivate it. IOW, pray for wisdom and She will help you. Cool

posted Hide Post
Consequently wisdom which is a gift, has its cause in the will, which cause is charity, but it has its essence in the intellect, whose act is to judge aright

quote:
Lonergan�s cognitional structure works from experience to understanding, from understanding to judgment, and from judgment to decision, and it is at judgment that Aquinas places wisdom. Connaturality allows a leap over levels of this structure; a person might bypass understanding with its questions and insights and move directly to judgment. This is fine enough, but we must recall that connaturality is a matter of affection and ought not be forced into the intellect. For example, the chaste person does not simply know the definition of chastity, they might not even know the definition at all, but they act chaste. Connaturality, then, is not a matter of 3rd level judgments but 4th level actions and modes of being, particularly if connaturality is not merely cognitive. Consequently, wisdom in the second sense (connaturality with the Divine) is not knowledge, but is beyond knowledge, and is in the 4th level of action.

The above is taken from Connaturality in Aquinas: The Ground of Wisdom by R.J. Snell in Quodlibet Journal: Volume 5 Number 4, October 2003 with excellent references/citations from Lonergan, Rahner and Heidegger.

posted Hide Post
I thought it would be appropriate to interject some quotes about wisdom since it seems to be a concept, like the sun, best glimpsed with a sideward glance.

�Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.� = Andre Gide

�The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.� � Cicero

�To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.� � Dietrich Bonhoeffer

�It is no longer enough to be smart � all the technological tools in the world add meaning and value only if they enhance our core values, the deepest part of our heart. Acquiring knowledge is no guarantee of practical, useful application. Wisdom implies a mature integration of appropriate knowledge, a seasoned ability to filter the inessential from the essential.� � Doc Childre and Deborah Rozman

�Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered through personal experience does not become a part of the moral tissue.� � Edith Wharton

�To know when to be generous and when firm�that is wisdom.� � Elbert Hubbard

�Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.� � Immanuel Kant

�Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.� � Lin Yutang

�Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification.� � Martin Fischer

�But goodness alone is never enough. A hard cold wisdom is required, too, for goodness to accomplish good. Goodness without wisdom invariably accomplishes evil.� � Robert Heinlein

�An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run.� � Sydney J. Harris

�Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.� � Theodore Rubin

<w.c.>
posted
http://www.heartmath.org/resea...intuition/index.html

Check out the first two links on intuition and DNA response to heart intentionality.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post