Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 24 Steps to Recovery Login/Join 
<johnboy>
posted
The 12 Step Program is truly America's unique gift to 20th Century Spirituality. Upon some reflection, however, I found that, in my own life, there were really 24 Steps!

1) I noticed how others were powerless over their compulsive behaviors --that their lives were making my life unmanageable.

2) I came to believe that a Power greater than myself could change these people and restore them to sanity.

3) I urged these people to turn their wills and lives over to the care of God as I understood Him.

4) I made a searching and fearless moral inventory of my relatives, neighbors and coworkers.

5) I pointed out to God, and to anyone else who'd sympathize, the exact nature of my relatives', neighbors' and coworkers' wrongs.

6) I was entirely ready for God to remove all of their defects of character.

7) I begged God continuously to remove their shortcomings.

8) I made a list of all persons who had harmed me and am waiting for them to apologize and make amends to me.

9) I expect them to make direct amends to me in any way possible.

10) I continued to inventory others' shortcomings and when they were wrong, promptly told anyone who'd listen to my criticism, condemnation and complaints.

11) I sought to improve others' contact with God as I understood Him, praying only for others' knowledge of my view of God and their power to carry out His (and my) will.

12) Having gotten nowhere as a result of these steps, unable to change all of these other people or to enable them to practice such principles to my satisfaction, I started this 12 Step Program from scratch and focused on changing myself instead of others.

13) We admitted we were powerless ...

Happy New Year!
jb

Reply With QuoteReport This Post