Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    David Hawkins: Truth vs Falshood & controversy

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David Hawkins: Truth vs Falshood & controversy Login/Join 
posted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R_Hawkins

avid_R._Hawkins" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TalkBig Grinavid_R._Hawkins

Is Hawkins bringing the world closer to Truth, or muddying up the waters? My answer is YES!

It's a mixed bag for me with this individual. Some of these ideas are so right on to my way of thinking
that I have become a Hawkins fan. At the same time I wish to make amends for getting so caught up in him
during the last year and a half or so.

Hawkins has calibrated wikipedia overall at 350,
the article about him at 200, and it would be 400
if they removed the link to the agnostic site.

HHhhhmmmm.... Still clear as mud sometimes.

My gut feeling is that he may in fact be an alcoholic. Many of Hawkins generation would keep that a secret, and he has some rights to privacy
but must endure the scrutiny of the public eye.

If I can stay sober for over 40 years, I'll shout it to the world! Quite an accomplishment in light of the statistics. It was bigger than Jack Kerouac, Alan Watts and Chogyam Trungpa. New Age author Gary Zukav has over 30 years of sobriety.

Hawkins has made some pretty bold and outrageous claims to Truth, and now he will have to try to back them up. Somehow, I feel that he has moved the discussion forward, but also led many astray. Frowner

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MM, I've gone over this a number of times and raised what I thought were pertinent questions. Placing his own book above the Bible ought to make anyone suspicious, imo. Also, how can he possibly be measuring anything but his own unconscious attitudes? What other "intelligence" would be coming into play? The metaphysics of his approach is pretty fuzzy, at best.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Hawkins is so wrong about Christianity, that I fear
this must be the case. How come his spiritual research groups that verify his calibrations have not discovered this? What kind of "groupthink" is going on here?

The insight I had today on it is that Hawkins is a product of modernity and orange meme individualism
over and against blue meme religious values. He is very blue/orange conservative and old fashioned in many ways, excepting traditional religion, which he has always rejected.

Whatever illness he almost died from, he did cry out to God in the midst of it, and the prayer was answered. He was given power to heal many hopeless cases with this Presence, so it seems authentic enough to me, this Awakening.

His rather high opinion of himself and his erroneous conclusions about the Christian faith puzzle me. His insight and vision are remarkable
in other areas. I would guess that where he went wrong was in a lack of accountability to any authority other than himself, and rising beyond his level of competence, sort of a mystical Peter Principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

This may have been the consequence of a belief system which promotes the possibilty of attaining
Godhood. Guru syndrome?

thou_shalt_have_no_other_gurus_b_4_me.org

posted Hide Post
Michael, we've had lots of good exchanges for you to reflect on, and that book review criticizing his approach you posted sometime back was outstanding. When you get down to it, his system does require a great deal of faith, as what's being calibrated isn't anything that can be objectively verified in any kind of control study. His calibrations are really evaluating opinions, so how would a double-blind study control for that?

My bottom line is always that when something conflicts with Christian teaching, I give priority to Christian teaching -- especially the time-tested doctrines of the faith. These help to sustain in one the kind of faith that Christ wanted us to have so we could receive what he came to give us. I think we have to be careful about compromising that kind of receptivity. Hawkins' teaching does that in several ways, as our discussions here have pointed out.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Although I don't know what you mean by orange and blue memes?, I had the same reaction to Hawkins that you are getting at...there is sheer brilliance in his publications as well as resolute lies...it's a very weird combination....there is an enormous seduction in this man. His awakening is genuine; I don't doubt it, but I have come to realize there are many different 'levels' of awakening.

When I first ordered his books, I was literally unable to open them up or read more than a few sentences or so. I didn't know why except I could not counteract this push away from his work. Years later, after my faith became stronger and I had more direct experience of Christ, I could read his work without being seduced by the brilliance...and I could see some of the falsity. This is my experience with the few gurus/yogis I've known. They say the most astoundingly beautiful and brilliant things! Hawkins and these guys are in themselves very strong 'attractor fields.'

I do see what you mean by the Peter Principle. Smiler This rings true as you apply it to Hawkins.

However, as you point out, anyone who would put Christ on par with Buddha or a handful of other guys does not understand the reality of Christ...it is simply not possible...

just reading that Jesus calibrates the same as Buddha makes me go weak! Truly.

Thanks for sharing your reflections.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just don't know about some of the political calibrations, ie, Bill O'Reilly's program at 450.
O' Reilly manifests angry red/blue meme pride, which
can't be much over 175, less than honest. Could he be a govt mole? ;0