Shalom Place Community
J. Conference Five: Encountering Christ Sacramentally (A)

This topic can be found at:
https://shalomplace.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/211107858/m/72010775

11 March 2004, 11:25 AM
Phil
J. Conference Five: Encountering Christ Sacramentally (A)
Read the conference online.

Questions for reflection and discussion

1. What are you thinking/feeling after reading this conference? What part(s) spoke to you?

2. What kinds of sacramentals do you make use of in your Christian life? How do these help you encounter Christ?
13 March 2004, 01:34 AM
johnboy
Well ... ... looking at Phil's list of sacraments and sacramentals didn't so much invoke any theological reflections for me. Rather, it was more like a very pleasant walk down a memory lane of bells and smells, music and sacred wonder, a true euphoric recall of a wonderful childhood exposure to the liturgical aspect of our faith, from my earliest years through my adolescence.

After my young adulthood, creation became an additional source of wonder and remains so to this day, immersed in great mystery, not at all comprehensible to me though very much intelligible through the eyes of faith, especially through the incarnational lens of my catholicism, for which I feel a deep gratitude. I thus look forward to the conference on creation.

This series is very rich. I am grateful for the conferences and for everyone's contributions, and even for the lurkers to whom I feel united in prayer.

This particular conference was very much a tangible, palpable, feeling-based, nondiscursive thing for me.

How 'bout you? Smiler

pax, amor et bonum,
jb
Cool
14 March 2004, 09:51 AM
Nettie
This conference is a great explanation of sacraments and sacramentals. "..kataphatic spirituality acknowledges that God's presence is mediated to us through word, symbol, person ---any created thing." The fact that an encounter with another person is sacrament really got my attention years ago, and I am still working on that. All the sacramentals mentioned are readily available to me and, for me, are a symbol of calling my attention to Christ in prayer, and then putting all in his hands with "Jesus, I trust in you" (as he told Sr. Faustina). I love to have a candle burning -- the Light of Christ has come into the world. My most used sacramental is to keep a rosary in my pocket and touch it as a reminder throughout the day.
I pray that each of us be aware of his Presence at all times.
Nettie
20 March 2004, 09:50 PM
brjaan
For me the most meaningful sacramental continues to be scripture reading especially the Liturgy of the Hours. I also enjoy the Franciscan Crown Rosary. But scripture remains my most used sacramental. I am struck how each person in my life has in a sense been a sacramental for me especially in my journey to recovery out of the darkness of my addiction. The Phone calling and making a connection everyday has been a sacramental to me in the sense that it helps me get out of my head and pray.