Shalom Place Community
D. General Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://shalomplace.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/18110765/m/33210875

02 June 2004, 11:09 PM
Phil
D. General Discussion
Use this thread to discuss topics related to the Holy Spirit in general. For example, if you'd like to raise an issue that has not been addressed on any of the conference threads, this is a good place to do so.
07 June 2004, 10:46 AM
Katy
For years I have been trying to figure out the difference between or the relationship between the Holy Spirit, kundalini, and the Life Force (prana, chi, life energy) and especially how/if the Holy Spirit is transmitted via the breath. Jesus breathed on the disciples on the day of Pentecost.

Also I read a book called "The Energy of the Holy Spirit". It seems the author is equating the breath with the Holy Spirit.

I am studying Breathwork and so maybe I will have some things to share about that here! The instructor is a Catholic, understands kundalini, and has a masters degree in theology.

Katy
08 June 2004, 04:04 PM
Phil
I'll reference here a thread on the Christian Spirituality Issues forum on prayer and breathing that might have some relevance to the Holy Spirit and breath.

The homeostasis of the body seems to be connected in some ways with one's breath. To surrender the breath to God is a way of surrendering oneself, I believe, as our human breath finds its harmony with the Spirit-Breath moving through the Church and indeed all of creation.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word for spirit is "ruah," which means breath. This idea of breath as spirit and life probably comes from the simple observation that dead animals don't breathe, and it also recognizes that what is breathed is invisible. It's almost as though they believed that living things were "breathed" into life, and we find many references to breath communicating life in the Hebrew Scriptures, beginning in the book of Genesis. Jesus' breathing the Spirit on the Apostles is another example of this connection between breath and life--the new life that Jesus brings, in this case. While that might all sound very symbolic and analogical, I think there's some kind of literal meaning here as well, as indicated in the paragraph above.
08 June 2004, 05:17 PM
Katy
Phil,

I didn't know that was there.. your article (quoted in part below) about breathing and prayer.. how interesting. Thank you! Very helpful.. That is what the Breathwork therapist says in so many words.

I think I will have to make some changes. My problem is that I (and she said this too) control my breath too much! It is hard trying not to try. I want to just let go and let the Holy Spirit "breathe me".

Katy

Phil: "I turn my breathing over to the care of Christ and pray that his Spirit will regulate my breathing, balance energies, and join me to his Body. I use the phrase, "Jesus, breathe me," as something of a "sacred word" when I get too distracted. Breathing is then allowed to do what it needs to do--there is no conscious attempt to breath any particular way. I just follow, surrendering breath and using the prayer phrase. After awhile, the patterns change, becoming sometime very shallow and short, or stopping altogether for long periods, and eventually resuming as a deep, smooth rhythm. The mind is cleared and the heart feels more activated. There comes a point when I pretty much know that the meditation is over, so I just stop doing it."