Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should abortions be legal? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good response, Derek.

Katy, maybe you could say more about what you have in mind by the scientific aspect.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
When does the Spirit enter the baby? .. Is it measurable?

So you are saying it is just something we take on faith?

When a baby is aborted, does it have a Spirit. It may be body and soul, but not a complete human being.

http://weblog.xanga.com/dannyd...-a-human-being.html#

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Katy:
[qb] Is it measurable? So you are saying it is just something we take on faith? [/qb]
Astonishingly quickly, we get into epistemological issues. Big Grin I have ordered a copy of Jacques Maritain's book on this subject. While I was at it, I ordered Jim's book on post-sanjuanist developments in contemplative prayer. And then I added Phil's book on kundalini to the order just because I've been interested in it for a while. In six months' time, I should be equipped to continue this discussion LOL.

Posts: 140 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Katy, spirits aren't measurable so there's no way to scientifically evaluate its presence. If one believes, however, that the human soul is the source of life for an embryo, then the fact that it is alive means it has a soul. It certainly is a human life -- what else could it be?

The author of the article you link to asks some deep, pointed questions, but seems to not take into account that God creates outside of space and time. A soul's incarnation, then, is the development in space and time of what God already sees and knows in eternity. This is a theistic perspective and could not be used in secular discussion, but I do not see how Christians could view things otherwise. We are known and loved by God from all eternity. That it is necessary for us to begin our earthly sojourn as a zygote, then embryo, then fetus, then infant does not change what God has created, nor how we are viewed by God as persons who are loved. It's just how things have to unfold in a space-time world where we develop our spirituality in the context of embodiment.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil and Derek...

I was thinking that , since like at death, the departing of the spirit IS measureable,(at least that's what I read somewhere.) the entering of the spirit could be too. Red Face

Also I think there needs to be better understanding of the differene between soul and spirit. Animals have souls, but not spirits. Also as I think we all know the brain isn't the soul, nor the mind.

Oh well, I think I've gotten into this over my head. lol

Again thanks for your replies.

:-)

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're maybe thinking of a doctor Duncan MacDougall, who in the early 1900s tried to measure the weight of a departing soul and came up with the answer 21 grams. His theory was popularized in a movie title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_Grams

I think his methods are nowadays considered too crude to be reliable.

Posts: 140 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Derek, not sure where I heard that... and never heard of the movie.. looks like it might be interesting though.

Thanks,
Katy

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Katy:
[qb]
Also I think there needs to be better understanding of the differene between soul and spirit. Animals have souls, but not spirits. Also as I think we all know the brain isn't the soul, nor the mind.

Oh well, I think I've gotten into this over my head. lol

Katy [/qb]
I wasn't sure if you were meaning Spirit or spirit, neither of which has mass that can be measured.

The human soul is spiritual and in that sense differs from animal souls. Thomas Aquinas held that we also possess animal souls, but these are incorporated into and informed by the spiritual soul. The Holy Spirit, on the other hand, is of God, and is communicated to us through our union with the ascended Christ.

Maybe this page would help?
- http://shalomplace.com/res/anthrp.html

Skim through and you'll see what's going on.

Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Oh my, looks interesting. Since I am into holistic health.. wholeness.. and relationship between body, mind (soul) and spirit (well o.k., or soul) I'll be glad to learn some new things.

However, I did an extensive study on body/soul/spirit years ago, and concluded that we are body, soul (consisting of the will, intellect and emotions) and spirit.. When we are baptized, God's Spirit comes to dwell in our spirit.

Well, I guess this is getting off topic, so I'll quit here.

Thanks for the link.

Katy

posted Hide Post
Read this story and see what you think. I mean . . . why not? Same exact consequence as the abortion would have had, right? So what's the difference?

posted Hide Post
Yes, what horror! And you are right, what's the difference: kill the baby on the inside of mother's body or kill the baby on the outside? God help these people...

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think these are positive and long overdue steps: White House Begins Effort to Bridge the Divide on Abortion.

A good move by President Barack Obama and his administration.

quote:

The White House has begun bringing together a diverse group of abortion-rights supporters and opponents to help craft policies both sides can embrace: preventing unwanted pregnancies and reducing demand for abortion.

President Barack Obama appears to be trying to make good on his pledge to defuse tensions around polarizing issues.

Interviews with several participants suggest there is some common ground, but plenty of disagreements remain. It will be challenging for the White House to settle on policies that reach across the spectrum.

Participants said that abortion opponents tended to focus on efforts to help pregnant women keep their babies, while the abortion-rights camp focused on preventing unwanted pregnancy.

"Not everyone may agree on every issue we discuss, but we think there is enough common ground and potential for common ground here that people can help us to move forward," said domestic policy adviser Melody Barnes, who is leading the initiative.

The meetings -- anywhere from a dozen to two dozen people at a time -- began about a month ago and are expected to continue for another six to eight weeks. The White House hopes to have a proposal formed by late summer, Ms. Barnes said.

"I would like to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies that result in women feeling compelled to get an abortion or at least considering getting an abortion," [President Barack Obama] said at a news conference last week.

At the start of the initiative, the White House took off the table any discussion of whether abortion should be legal.

Ms. Barnes told participants that the White House is interested in hearing ideas in several areas, among them: sex education; responsible use of contraception; maternal and child health; pregnancy discrimination in the workplace and elsewhere; and adoption.

Participants say that suggestions included: improving education about use of contraception; better access to emergency contraception (which can be used after sex); improving education about sex, relationships and the "sacredness of sex"; stamping out employment discrimination against pregnant women; improving family-leave policies; and encouraging adoption.

One suggestion was to set a concrete goal for abortion reduction, such as a 25% reduction in four years. The number of abortions peaked in 1990 at 1.6 million and has declined every year since then, reaching 1.2 million in 2005, the latest year for which data are available.

David Gushee, an abortion opponent and professor of Christian ethics at Mercer University in Atlanta who has participated in the talks, said the act of convening people is valuable. "When people get into a room working on a common problem it's harder to demonize them when they leave the room."

Posts: 77 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
That's so nice! Big Grin

Just think how wonderful it would have been in the 1850s if abolitionists and pro-slavery advocates had gotten together in a room and listened to each other. They could have come up with all sorts of common ground agreements; we might have been able to avoid the civil war; we might even still have slavery!

Er . . .

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
That's so nice! Big Grin

Just think how wonderful it would have been in the 1850s if abolitionists and pro-slavery advocates had gotten together in a room and listened to each other. They could have come up with all sorts of common ground agreements; we might have been able to avoid the civil war; we might even still have slavery!

Er . . .

The objective is to reduce abortion numbers.
In my book that is good.

I cannot fathom why you would mock such an effort.

Posts: 77 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
That is a good thing, but it's not like it's a new idea. Both sides have been doing this for years. The exercise completely sidesteps the issue of the morality of abortion, which was the point of my sarcastic analogy. I mean, can you imagine abolitionists settling for policies that merely guaranteed better treatment of slaves, and calling that progress?

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Behind the Angst at Notre Dame is a well-reasoned opinion by a Notre Dame law professor on why it is wrong for the university to have invited President Obama to give the commencement address. I found myself in complete agreement with his reasoning.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I'll use this discussion to call notice to the recent encyclical by Pope Benedict XVI, Caritas in Veritae (Love in Truth). George Weigel, writing for NRO, has a good reflection on some aspects of it, especially re. the abortion issue.

quote:
3. The encyclical’s teaching on the moral ecology necessary to a properly functioning free economy is entirely welcome, as it strongly reinforces points that the advocates of Centesimus Annus have been stressing for 18 years: The market is not a machine that can run by itself; it takes a certain kind of people, living certain virtues, to make free economies work such that the result is genuine human flourishing. And it is precisely in this respect that Caritas in Veritate poses the sharpest challenge for Catholic Obamaphiles.

For Benedict XVI insists in his encyclical that the life issues are social-justice issues, such that the “human ecology” or moral ecology necessary for make free economies work is eroded when wrongs are defined as rights (as in current U.S. abortion law). Thus the encyclical has put Catholic legislators on notice that they can’t hide behind their “social justice” commitments while taking a pass (or worse) on the life issues; but then, they were put on notice on that very point by John Paul II in Evangelium Vitae (“The Gospel of Life”) in 1995. As for “common ground” approaches to reducing the incidence of abortion, these potentially useful initiatives only get you so far here. At some point, and it’s not very far down the road, two hard questions arise for the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden: Do Roe v. Wade and its various judicial progeny violate fundamental Catholic norms of social justice, as John Paul II and Benedict XVI have taught? And if they do, what do you propose to do about that?

They will do nothing, of course, as their primary aim is to get re-elected.

see http://article.nationalreview....NzAyMTJiNTU3MTAzN2M= for the full article. Very good!

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I know I'm just talking to myself on this thread, but dialoguing with pro-choicers in a local newspaper forum has me acutely aware of errors in their reasoning.

Re. the legal/moral status of the fetus, it's interesting to see how states have written their "fetal homicide laws."
- http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14386

So many states consider the fetus an individual person deserving of protection by law if it is killed by someone other than the woman, and against her will. Kind of hints where things would go if Roe v. Wade were overturned and the matter would become a states rights issue.

posted Hide Post
Phil:

I do read this thread as you post to it, as I'm guessing others do. It is such a sad "state" of affairs. To outright admit the person and dignity of the unborn child and yet in virtually the same sentence commit the innocent to death is grisly. Just shows how strong the sense of entitlement is behind the pro-choice initiatives such that simple logic and conscience can't be openly considered.

Posts: 235 | Registered: 02 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Phil.

I read your postings here too. But there is only so much sick stuff I can digest and respond to. I only got through the first two clips on the concentration camp officer. Too much grisly for me...

I do appreciate your sharing your updates on this topic as I utilize some of this material in teaching my MA counseling students. Your work here does bear fruit, no doubt about it. Smiler

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thank you, w.c. and shasha, for your affirmation. As I noted above, I've been dialoguing with pro-choicers on a newspaper forum lately and so I'm very much aware of the vacuity of their reasoning. The best argument they can come up with is that this is such a complicated and controversial issue that it's best to let the woman herself choose what is in the best interest of her own health. I've granted the legitimacy of situations when her health is at risk (double-effect principle), but they expand this to mean most anything that might inconvenience her (or her sexual partner's) plans. The fallacy, here, of course, is that it does not take into account the fetus' right to live and realize his/her destiny. Mostly, however, the pro-choicers I find on these forums use ad hominems and straw-man fallacies to make their points. Not impressive, to say the least.

Here's a point I've made several times: that it's been quite common in almost every family in history for women to have unexpected and even unwanted pregnancies while in a state of troubled mental health or strained physical health, but to give birth anyway and do their best to love their child, albeit imperfectly. This is, to me, great heroism -- even saintliness -- which is rewarded by the satisfaction and pride they come to feel in seeing their offspring grow and develop. Even in the worst of cases, where the woman is just overwhelmed for various reasons, her child has a chance to live and overcome the obstacles of an impaired childhood. This is infinitely preferable to depriving a human being of this opportunity.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Here's something from the 2nd C. of Christianity by Tertulian, one of our earliest theologians:

For us, murder is once for all forbidden... It makes no difference whether one take away the life once born, or destroy it as it comes to birth. He is a man, who is to be a man; the fruit is always present in the seed.
... Tertullian (Quintus S. Florens Tertullianus) (160?-230?), Tertullian: Apologetic and practical treatises [2nd-3rd century]

- I can understand there being pro-choice agnostics, atheists, and, perhaps, some from other religions. I can't understand the thinking informing "pro-choice Christians."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
Here's something from the 2nd C. of Christianity by Tertulian,

LOL did you Google that, or did you just happen to be reading Tertullian? I am reading A New History of Christianity by Charles Freeman, and he mentions that the Didache (c. AD 100) also includes abortion as immoral.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Ah, no. I was going through some quotes from early church fathers and there it was. Good one, don't you think? And, yes, for the Didache, too.

posted Hide Post
Here's a bright spot in the darkness:

---------------------
The former director of a Planned Parenthood clinic in southeast Texas says she had a "change of heart" after watching an abortion last month — and she quit her job and joined a pro-life group in praying outside the facility.
-------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2009...abortion-ultrasound/

She tells of the pressure from superiors to do more abortions at the clinic as it is a big money-maker. Seems like a collusion of many dark forces operating here.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post