Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On being a Christian Login/Join 
posted
See fficial&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:christian" target="_blank">this link for a few definitions of what it means to be a Christian.

I'd like this thread to focus on this issue, and I'd like to begin with my own definition, which is quite simple:
- A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ.

That's pretty short, but it says it all to me.

1. That Christ is the one who leads.

2. That I am the one who follows.

3. That in order to follow where he leads, I have to look to him, listen to him, open to his love, embrace the disciplines that enable me to grow in his love.

4. That in doing #3, I am to seek him where we know he makes himself known -- the Bible, the teachings of the Church, the Christian community, and the Sacraments figuring most significantly, here.

5. That to attempt to be a follower of Jesus without #4 is to create one's own "private Christianity," running the risk of delusions of all kinds.

Obviously, I am speaking of the realm of explicit Christian faith, and obviously, too, it should be clear from the above that there are all kinds of Christians: sincere, lukewarm, imperfect, and so forth. Still, if these people have as the primary focus of their lives the following of Jesus Christ, they may be said to be Christians.

Let's see where this goes. What does it mean to you to be a Christian? And let's avoid the sticky topic of "implicit faith," here, as we've discussed that elsewhere.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many people who live good lives but are not professing Christians. Some, indeed, want no association with the name. Should these people be called Christians?

I don't think so. Christianity does not claim to have a monopoly on ethical values -- not even very good ones. Some non-Christians often seem to behave more lovingly than do regular churchgoers, but that does not mean they are "real Christians" while the churchgoers are not (except, perhaps, via the "implicit faith" route).

Similarly, there are many these days who value a number of religious leaders, and who seem to more or less equally extol the life and teachings of Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, and so forth. Are these people Christians?

Again, I say they are not (and neither are they Buddhists, Moslems, Hindus, etc. -- most likely they're "New Agers"). For when I say that a Christian is a follower of Christ, I mean to say that Christ's role is not merely "significant," but "decisive." One might find help and inspiration from other teachers and traditions, but the criteria for evaluating these is in terms of how it contributes to (or detracts from) following Christ.

- - -

My next reflection will be on "mystical Christianity" and the sense of a living relationship with Christ that becomes the primary dynamic in the discipleship relationship, eclipsing (but not denying) the role of Scripture and Church. Stay tuned . . . and jump in any time.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
quote:
5. That to attempt to be a follower of Jesus without #4 is to create one's own "private Christianity," running the risk of delusions of all kinds.
Phil, I agree with 99% of your post. I do feel like I practice Private Christianity though.

I honestly don't want to associate with the mass of people out there claiming to be "Christian".

I have met a good lot of horrible people who use the title "Christian". When they should have been using the title "Spawn of Satan".

This contempt has led me to mistrust Christian teachers and churches. I am so afraid to be reeled into something unaware. I can't take that chance. There are a lot of teachers out there who mean the best but are teaching the worst.

So with this in mind I have no choice but to draw most of my own conclusions about Christ and his message.

Being a Christian to me means just that. When I read about how the disciples and apostles carried Christ with them in their hearts and minds. That is what a Christian is. Knock of the "ian" and you get "Christ". That is who people should think of when they meet you if you are a Christian.

Because if they don't that makes you just another liar or hypocrite in this world. Just trying to sell your own batch of lies with the same old sales pitch.

Posts: 470 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
quote:
For when I say that a Christian is a follower of Christ, I mean to say that Christ's role is not merely "significant," but "decisive."
With that in mind I think Christ would be the only choice. I feel many take Christ lightly. I have the same problem. It is really hard to lay all the cards on the table and live a truly Christ like life.

My thoughts are is that it gets easier as you go maybe? Becuase I see all the previous pleasures/desires/sins being replaced with hope/love/joy. A much more rewarding return on your investment. Smiler

Posts: 470 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understood, Eric. There are lots of churcggoers who aren't very deeply committed Christians (as defined in this thread), and lots of deeply sincere Christians who aren't churchgoers. And I understand that there are some who've been "burned" by the Church, not to mention the fact of unhealthy Christian communities.

That acknowledged, I think a Christian ought to be involved in a Church, as it's clear that Christ makes himself known through Christian community in some very distinctive ways. So one ought to be searching for a Church that is more or less healthy, and not rushing to judgement against all churches just because there's dysfunction in some. I know this might sound harsh, but there's a sense in which resistance to belonging to a Church can often be resistance to more fully belonging to Christ. This has been the stumbling block for many, none the least of which was C. S. Lewis.

So with regard to Christian community, ask . . . seek . . . knock . . . and the door will be opened. Even if it's just a small group of people to pray and share faith with, that's a start.

<w.c.>
posted
It seems like we're all going to find ourselves looking like those we abhor. It's impossible to be a perfect Christian. Look at Jesus's original disciples, and Paul the Apostle. None of them achieved perfection. Each was wounded, and that was their primary opening to Him. Put a bunch of wounded folks together in a community, and you have His presence and all the pain and clay-footedness that goes with it.

When I avoid church it is because of my own loneliness. Standing there in the middle of Mass among all those families, and feeling really alone at times. But once you get to know these folks, most of them are belabored with pain as well.

So perhaps it is the potential for connection with each in Christ, through the hurt, that is missed when we drop the church all together. Then we're dealing with our own narcissism, and where it is more likely to go unnoticed in our private little worlds.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just got back to church this year. I'm taking it easy though - if I'm well enough I'll go, but if I'm not, I won't. One of the barriers that I had was that if I went I had to go every week without fail! So best not to bother as my health is very unpredictable and I need to save my energy for my work/family. This is known in cognitive therapy as all or nothing thinking. Then one Sunday morning I woke up, felt well and thought I'll go. Since then I've been most weeks - apart from one week when I was unwell. That's the trick, knowing when I really need the rest or when I'm ducking out. But I have a 'church buddy' now who I collect and take, so I'd be letting her down if I ducked! And she doesn't mind at all if I'm unwell. I think she's God's way of getting me there Smiler
I've felt better for going, and I focus on how I'm doing rather than what I think of others Wink It is good to feel part of a community, with all its failings and diversity, and I really benefit from communion. Something I really missed.
I felt like Eric for a long time about other church members, then realised that actually Jesus taught us about that too! I tell my students all the time, never mind what they're doing, you concentrate on your own work!

The danger as i see it, along with w.c. is a profound narcissicm without contact with the rest of the body of Christ. Constructing our own version of faith can be very dangerous and we need others to keep us on the right track.

I agree, too, Phil, being Christian is not the same as 'being a good person'. Its a clearly professed faith with duties and responsibilities. I have a cross on the dashboard on my car and if I even think of getting rude with another driver I glance at that cross and remind myself that I represent Christ. My husband likes it becuase he says he always feel as if he's going into battle when he drives! I've suggested he play the Ride of the Valkyries as he pulls off the drive - or onward christian soldiers! (We think differently about war/battle imagery - perhaps its a male thing Big Grin )
FrancesB

Posts: 59 | Location: UK | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
quote:
That acknowledged, I think a Christian ought to be involved in a Church, as it's clear that Christ makes himself known through Christian community in some very distinctive ways. So one ought to be searching for a Church that is more or less healthy, and not rushing to judgement against all churches just because there's dysfunction in some. I know this might sound harsh, but there's a sense in which resistance to belonging to a Church can often be resistance to more fully belonging to Christ. This has been the stumbling block for many, none the least of which was C. S. Lewis.
That is good advice, Phil. I am sure there are a good bit of great churches out there. The problem is finding them. My fear is that in my weak spiritual condition if I get the wrong church on the first try I might not realize it. Then it may be too late for me.

That is the fear I have to wrestle with. I need to get to one though. I am going to start with just prayer groups and see how that works out.

posted Hide Post
Right, Eric, sometimes it's wise to take your time and go slowly. Most won't mind if you attend without contributing financially or getting much involved. No friends or family to give you a good recommendation?

And, Frances, it sounds like you could relate to what Eric is talking about, and that you've found a good community to join up with. I don't know of any that require attendance if you're sick, working, or out-of-town, however.

quote:
The danger as i see it, along with w.c. is a profound narcissicm without contact with the rest of the body of Christ. Constructing our own version of faith can be very dangerous and we need others to keep us on the right track.
Good point, Frances. Sometimes it can take awhile for people to find a community they feel at home with.

posted Hide Post
In point #4 in my opening post, I noted that I am to seek him where we know he makes himself known -- the Bible, the teachings of the Church, the Christian community, and the Sacraments figuring most significantly, here. By seeking him, I mean to say in the openness of faith, and so it might be helpful to say a little about faith, since this is a topic about which there is often misunderstanding.

For many, faith means "belief in a set of propositions, doctrines, etc." but that's not what I'm talking about, here. By faith, I mean one's openness to Christ and trust in his guidance. Belief is involved, to some extent, as it's difficult to be open to Christ without some kinds of intellectual convictions about who Christ is and what it means to follow him. But faith moves beyond the intellectual realm to the volitional, where we make a decision to accept Christ as our Lord, friend, brother, and even beloved. We open to him in relationship, not knowing exactly what to expect, or even if there is anyone there that we're relating to.

The first genuine and sincere acts of faith can leave us feeling terrified -- like we've opened ourselves up to a vast emptiness, or that we're jumping into an abysss that has no bottom. Sometimes that's how it goes. Others come at it from the opposite direction, feeling they're being lovingly drawn by God to openness and relationship, without having to encounter this realm of existential void. Regardless of how it happens, however, it seems there is a kind of "contact" made, so that one knows oneself to no longer be alone within oneself, but connected in some obscure manner to ineffable Presence. For some this Presence reveals itself in a most clear manner as Christ; for many others, there is just a sense of a loving contact being made. Whatever the case, this relationship wrought through faith is the most important thing that will ever happen to a person. Because of faith, we experience ourselves as belonging-to-God, and we know that we can turn to God again at any time through acts of faith.

When you read the New Testament, you will find Paul saying again and again that it is by faith that we are saved, not by keeping the Law. He says this because it is faith that enables living contact with Christ and his risen life, enabling Christ to communicate his Holy Spirit to us and transform our old human nature into a likeness of his. Without faith, we do not have access to this life (I'm not excluding "implicit faith," here); even if we "believe" all the right things, that's not enough. One can believe all day long and still be "in one's head," on the "outside" of intimate relationship. Conversely, one can be very limited in theological understanding and have a deep faith, through which Christ and the Holy Spirit will actually teach one the great truths of the Gospel in very profound ways. Obviously, however, the best situation is to strengthen one's mind in "belief" in such a manner as to encourage and support the life of faith.

In Christianity, it is "faith" that is our "method" or "technique" for connecting with the divine. Our primary "practice" is love borne of faith. Our basic attitude is "hope" which holds that the best is yet to come, for the future belongs to God. This faith, hope and love are gifts from God that we also actualize through our own actions.

Later on I'll talk about growing in faith, for faith doesn't stand still. As with any relationship, it needs to be fed, and needs to be "kept up" in one's life. For now, however, I recommend a chapter from The Inner Nature of Faith, by my friend, Jim Arraj, to anyone interested in learning more about faith itself.
- http://www.innerexplorations.com/catchtheomor/f8.htm

Here's the Epilogue.
quote:
We have approached the inner nature of faith through different directions: personal experience, the debates of the theologians, the reading of the Scriptures and Fathers, and the works of Maritain. And finally, we have examined the inner nature of faith itself as a knowledge through love.

All this can leave us with the impression that faith is a complex matter best left to the deliberations of theologians. This is not true. In fact, faith resists our intricately woven nets of concepts because of its simplicity and depth. And in virtue of this simplicity it permeates our lives like the air we breathe, but too seldom take notice of. We think God is absent because we do not find him like one object among all the others, when all the time He is there within us as our deepest goal. We are continually being drawn by this mysterious, powerful, silent call to union with Him, and it is faith which is our response to this hidden presence. At any moment, in any place, we can go on the journey of faith, for it is that tiny, quiet reaching out with our heart to God.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
Our basic attitude is "hope" which holds that the best is yet to come, for the future belongs to God. This faith, hope and love are gifts from God that we also actualize through our own actions.
This is the first year that I haven't worried about our exam results (we have January exams as well as Summer). Every exam period I would lose sleep and get very anxious - despite having excellent results year in, year out! But when I took this job, God told me that He would take care of the results and I was just to do my best as a Christian in this school. I was really unsure about the job. Fulltime, private school, demanding, on top of my heart condition. I prayed and was on retreat just before I was due to start. I got a very clear answer from God and followed Him rather than me - I wanted to pack it all in and work part time in a very undemanding post! Three years later, and He was right. Why am I surprised?
FrancesB

Posts: 59 | Location: UK | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil you put it correctly and beautifully what faith is. You said you will talk about faith in growth later on. In waiting your post I just want to add some lines on growth in faith.

Faith is the foundation of our relationship with God. Personal relationship with God is expressed through tangible feeling of spirit and love. Using our free will we can accept Christ as our personal savior. Then, the rest of the job is done by Christ providing we are willinig to surrender. Actually growth, strength and deepening of faith is solely depends how we are willing to surrendering our false self. Inorder to surrender our false self it is necessary to know it. However, it can be difficult to discern the subtlest part of our false self unless we pass through trial. Trial shakes the foundation of our false self. When we decided to follow Christ trial is inevitable, dark night of the soul is inevitable. Ironically, it is this dark night, it is this trial which can help us to know the subtlest part of our false self. Once we know our false self better it will be easy to surrender. In this way our faith growth and deepens.

Posts: 340 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Grace. For some people, however, the act of faith isn't necessarily attended by "tangible feeling of spirit and love." Sometimes it seems that nothing happens (experientially, that is). Even so, we should stand firm in the conviction that Christ is with us whether we feel his presence or not, and live as though we are a people who belong to him. In doing so, our faith becomes purified, and our yearning to know him moves to deeper levels of our being, where we may eventually come to commune with him continually in mystical union. This is the full flowering of faith, and the destiny to which all Christians are called. As you noted, however, it entails a full-blown battle with our own false self system and the powers and principalities of the spiritual universe that have attached themselves to the maintenance of this pretentious persona.

<w.c.>
posted
"As you noted, however, it entails a full-blown battle with our own false self system and the powers and principalities of the spiritual universe that have attached themselves to the maintenance of this pretentious persona."

Indeed . . . .

posted Hide Post
From the foregoing, it should be clear that Christianity is more than a philosophical perspective or ethical system. In its heart of hearts, it is a lived out relationship with Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.

But, one may ask, how can we really know that it is Christ whom we encounter, and not some other entity, or that we aren't just fabricating a relationship with our imagination (like children and their imaginary friends).

Re. the latter, it may well be that imagination is, at times, graced to envision Christ, and at others, to present to oneself a sense of connection with him. If that's all there was to it, however, then it's unlikely that one would persevere in the Christian life for long, especially if disciplines of honesty and self-examination were being worked.

So here are three signs we can use to evaluate whether our connection is with Christ.

1. We are explicit in directing the focus of our faith and practice to him. In doing so, we have confidence that he is the one who shows up, and not another entity, for he has power and authority over them and will not allow an imposter to deceive us.
- Note: this does not imply that he also shows up when we call upon other entities to assist us in our spiritual life (unless, of course, they be in union with him like his mother or the saints). I tried to make this point again and again on the TM thread, but to no avail.

2. We experience a resonance of recognition within as we read about and meditate on Christ in the gospels. Indeed, there may be times when it seems he literally comes to life in the scriptures, and that we feel strongly drawn to read them.

3. We also experience resonances of recognition in the Christian community, church teaching, the sacraments, and Christian spiritual reading. If one has had bad experiences with a community, that could dimish the resonance, but the attunement to him through #1 and 2 would still have one alert for signs of him in other people and contexts.

So what we have here is something akin to the three Buddhist refuges (the Buddha, the dharma/teaching, and the sangha/community), only with a Christian focus. We can use these three signs to help us evaluate whether a particular discipline, job, lifestyle, etc. moves us closer to Christ (the resonances grow stronger) or not (they diminish). In my own experience, studying other religions and even secular philosophies has sometimes strengthened my sense of connection to Christ; often, it has seemed to be neutral in effect; sometimes, it has had an adverse effect, diminishing my sense of belonging to Christ and bringing confusion to my mind. So I'm not saying, here, that one ought to restrict one's reading nor even one's disciplines to explictly Christian focuses. Rather, I am presenting a way to evaluate their efficacy in reference to Christian growth.

Where you see these three markers being dissed, you may be sure that the dissing has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. That's not to say that one should mindlessly accept Church teaching, for example; critical reflection is certainly needed. But when the very basis of the value of such teaching is being negated, there are other "spirits" at work that have nothing to do with Christ. Same goes for teachings that deny his existence, his resurrection, the Christian mysteries, the immportance of Church, and so forth. If you are Christian, you will notice how your sense of faith becomes unsettled by these kinds of things, and it's good to pay attention to that. Maybe it means you're being stretched in a good and healthy way, but it might also mean that you're being warned to be on guard.

<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

Something which I think is distinctive about Christianity, which somewhat goes along with its claim of the singular, unique incarnation of God into human history, is the way in which the Holy Spirit operates completely outside the soul's faculties. This may also be the province of other theistic faiths, so I could be speaking out of limited acquaintence; nevertheless, the confusion of kundalini with the HS is fairly common, and is one aspect of the blurred boundary between graced prayer and the effort of meditation.

Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
I think what sets Christianity apart from all other religions is salvation.

I don't know of any other religion that offers this at least in the same way.

Buddhism and Hinduism offer "liberation".

A secular person would say that God is offering salvation when he is the one who is doing the damnation.

But I see it as more than that.

I feel damnation is the separation from God. If we spend our life in rebellion of his holiness would he not be granting our hearts desire to send us to hell?

I think the agony of being separated from all that is righteous and beautiful and loving is the worse form of hell possible. I would take fire and brimstone any day over that.

Christ offers us salvation from this by giving us a connection to God. We are already damned. He is offering us union to God when there was no other way to do it on our own.

I don't know why God had to use Christ. This is a mystery to the Angels is it not? Why he couldn't just make it so? There is something beautiful in this plan that we are not aware of. I am sure of it.

But Christ did more than just offer us salvation. He offered us hope. He offered us a better way of life. He taught us how to love.

Christ was so very personal on so many levels. Almost like a loving older brother. Yet he was God. That is why I fall in love with Christ!

What other religion or God has done what Christ has!?

What other God has broken bread with man? What other God had such a remarkable love of man? What other God suffered with and for man? What other God wept with man. What other God was man and died like a man? Who rose from the dead to show that he has conquered death?

There is nothing quite like Christ at all. Nothing else measures up. Not even remotely.

Paul would never have given up his life for something that did not exist. He would never have put his life in danger. He would never have been decapitated for a figment of his imagination.

Nothing has a more hopeful message for humanity than Christianity.

If Christ is not real then we are all here for nothing. We are lost in a hopeless struggle of perverseness. Adrift in a pointless universe that created itself by accident. If Christ is not real than neither is love. Love would just be a chemical in my brain. Yet, even when I look at my child I know that not to be true.

My point is. I know love is real. Just experiencing pure love tells your heart that it is something more than anything we could ever understand. It comes from something higher than ourselves. If love is real one must find the source. The source is Jesus Christ.

posted Hide Post
"Jesus was more than enlightened like the Buddha, more than a prophet like Mohammed, more than a wise man like Socrates. He is the one true mediator between god and man." - John Paul II

"This attitude is not helpful." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I choose the bishop over the Zen master. Smiler

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear brothers and sisters!

AMEN! to all you beautiful souls! I am so deeply moved by your reflections...

Somebody, please, make this into a little book.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
[qb]
Somebody, please, make this into a little book. [/qb]
For years now, I've wanted to write a short book entitled "What is Christianity?" that would simply cover the basics. The Christian Mysteries forum has much of what I'd discuss, as does the "Wonderfully Made" premium group on Christian metaphysics.

Some of you might be interested in my "Growing in Christ," presentations, which were offered as part of a Lenten series last year.
- see http://homepage.mac.com/philot...download/growing.pdf

Enjoy . . . Smiler

posted Hide Post
I agree with the posts people have made about being a Christian. A common misconception about Christianity (that even some Christians seem to have) is that the whole point is to try not to sin and to go to heaven when you die. But there is so much more. Going to heaven is just one step in developing an intimate relationship with God. And the point is more to love others than to not sin.

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Beau. Thanks for registering and sharing your thoughts. I hope we hear more from you.

Phil

posted Hide Post
For many people, it is enough to simply accept that God is love, that Christ's is God's love become human, and that the gift of the Spirit enables us to love as He loved. Their primary interest is spiritual practice, and so faith in this loving, Triune God moves them to focus on living a life of love and to bringing God's love to all people in all circumstances.

That's the core message, for sure, and it's surely the most important thing. 1 Cor. 13 spells this out most eloquently; the greatest thing is love. And so everything about the Christian religion -- including its doctrines, rituals, etc. must be referenced to love. When we lose this reference, doctrinal emphasis becomes dogmatic, ethics becomes moralistic, and institutional governance becomes oppressive. That's all happened during our history, and it still goes on.

It would be a mistake, however, to dismiss the importance of doctrines, rituals, institutional governance, etc. because of abuses. For many -- even most! -- these are all part and parcel of living the life of love that Christ has called us to live. They all address concerns and even needs intrinsic to the human condition, and help to elaborate a perspective and context for understanding, experiencing, and growing in Christ's love.

For example, it is only natural to wonder what Christ's coming was really all about, and what was accomplished by his death and resurrection? What was God doing, and why? And it is here that the traditional teachings we call the Christian mysteries have their relevance. They present to us a broad understanding of:
- the nature of God
- human nature
- the human condition (including sin)
- the workings of evil in the human race
- God's initiatives in drawing the race to Himself through the prophets and covenants
- Christ as the incarnation of the Word -- the new and final covenant;
- Christ's death as God's way of dealing with sin and evil
- Christ's descent into Sheol to open the way for those who were in bondage to death
- Christ's resurrection as God's conclusive victory over sin and evil;
- the transfer of the life of the soul to the Body of Christ through faith and Baptism;
- the gift of the Holy Spirit as the means by which the divine life dwells and grows within us
- the Church as Christ's ongoing presence in space and time
- the Sacraments as the means by which Christ feeds the members of his Body;

And so forth.

There is nothing, here, that detracts from the understanding of God as love, nor of the primacy of living a life of love. Indeed, a deep appreciation and understanding of the Christian mysteries strengthens the mind and will to "hang tough" on the journey of faith to be traveled in a world that is often hostile to Christ and his way.

I am aware that not all Christians accept the points I listed above, nor do we all understand them the same way. Indeed, some would happily dismiss all this as just so much "dogma" with little relevance, especially in a post-modern world where we are contacting other religions. While I am not implying, here, that one must accept all these points in "orthodox" fashion to be considered a "real Christian," I am saying that they are deeply relevant to the life of Christian faith -- some much moreso than others, of course.

Being a Christian, then, does inevitably entail learning what we might call this "content of the Faith," and making the connections between this teaching and spiritual practice. That's not always easy to do, but the effort in that direction is worth it.

-------

At this point, some readers might be interesting in this discussion on the importance of dogma, or this one on being a Catholic (lots of personal sharing in that one). The "Christian Mysteries" forum on this board, and the various premium groups also provide discussion and reflection on Christian belief and spiritual practice. Another good resource is Jim Arraj's wonderful book, Can Christians Still Believe?.

posted Hide Post
(Considering, today, Christian experience and the Trinity.)

Most significant in the early Church was the new experience of God that Christ's followers came to know. His first followers were Jews, and so they knew very well the Jewish experience of God, and the lifestyles/disciplines that enabled that relationship. Following the resurrection and Pentecost, however, they came to know a new and personal intimacy with God, and eventually began to articulate something of a triadic dimension to it as follows:
A. God with us (Christ)
B. God within us (Holy Spirit)
C. God beyond us (Father/Creator)
These were all one and the same God -- even the same God Whom Israel worshipped. But there were new experiential manifestations of God, which they eventually came to understand in terms of the mininstries of the Persons of the Trinity.

-----

This Trinitarian understanding of God is unique among the world religions, and is one of the defining characteristics of not only Christian teaching, but Christian mystical experience as well. There are many Christians today who write of mysticism, but a good number seem to be speaking more out of an enlightenment type of experience (unitary or cosmic consciounsess), or else a theistic mysticism (union of God and creature). Sometimes Christian language is used to try to give expression to these experiences, or to even interpret Christian mystics in the light of them. While not meaning to criticize the good that is obviously found there (having tasted of both myself), I do believe it's important to continually hold oneself open to the triadic understanding of Christian spirituality developed from the beginning. What this would mean, practically, is that we:

A. Do not confuse our human consciousness with God's, including Christ's. The human spirit and its subjective "I" is forever ours, and no one else's -- not even Christ's. The "I" might be given to see and know as Christ does through gifts of the Spirit, but it never "morphs" into Christ's "I." The dogma of the Communion of Saints and Christ's own resurrection appreances attest to the perdurance of the human soul and its subjectivity.

B. Relate to all the Persons of the Trinity as "Other." This includes Christ, in Whom our humanity becomes "in-corporated." Even in our unitive resting in Him in the deepest apophatic silences, it is He, an-Other, in Whom we rest. We also relate to the indwelling Spirit, Who is distinct from our human spirit. This "dualistic," relational structure is never lost in authentic Christian mysticism.

C. We recognize how completely the Trinity holds us and cares for us. Christ as God's incarnate Word holds our being in his Being; the Spirit blesses us with the Love shared between Father and Son, and gifts us with supernatural abilities for the good of the community; the Father is the Holy Transcendent One Whom we come to know through Christ and the Spirit as the good and loving Abba, who gives us existence and providentially cares for us.

More simply stated, Christ can be known as friend, brother, savior, master, Lord, and for some, even Lover/Beloved.
- the Spirit is known as inner Coach, Guide, Counselor, Inspiration, Love, Blessing, Joy and Power.
- the Father is known as Creator and loving Parent.

How completely we are embraced by God through the Persons of the Trinity! How marvelously we are loved and cared for! Let us open ourselves to Their ministries. .

Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
That was very beautiful and insightful, Phil.

I have been pondering on this subject for some time.

I have been thinking that Christ somehow offered us a way to God that we previously did not have. I think the fundamentalism of Christianity would say that it is the only way to God. I am too unsure to draw a conclusion on this.

Are we somehow connected to God the Father and Holy Spirit now through Christ (Trinity)? I also imagine this would only come through salvation. Are we now part of the Union?

If so what implications does this have? Salvation implies saving. If we are in need of salvation does this mean we were somehow connected to the Trinity before the "fall"?

I hope these are some good questions. I look forward to your reply.