Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effectiveness of Healing Prayer Login/Join 
posted
About twenty years ago I remember reading of some studies being conducted to ascertain the effectiveness of healing prayer.

If I recall correctly, the studies at that time seemed to find significant differences in healing between subjects who received prayer and those who didn't. But the studies also tended to find that there didn't seem to be any differences among the different religious groups doing the praying. That is, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, positive thinking, etc. forms of prayer were all equally effective.

Does anybody know of any newer studies and/or be able to generalize what some of the more recent findings are? I'm interested in well-conducted studies utilizing solid research methodologies.

Thanks!

reegs

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reegs, welcome. Smiler

I do recall the studies you mention, but I don't think they're carried out any more for ethical reasons (i.e., it's not right to offer something helpful to one group but not another).

Here is a good, concise discussion of this topic. See what you think.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil!

That was a helpful link. The page it leads to provides a good synopsis of the research that's out there.

Overall, it seems the studies to-date have been sloppy. So that even when statistical significance is found, the research design prevents the drawing of any firm conclusions. Also, the studies cited don't seem to differentiate between faith traditions, and whether healing prayer in one tradition is more effective than healing prayer in another.

My search continues!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this was an interesting editorial regarding formal studies on the healing results of prayer.

Divinely Na�ve
By Paul Chesser

quote:
Indeed, the ultimate goal for God's uniquely created beings -- humans -- is to reach heaven. Whatever physical healing may occur is temporary in the ultimate sense. The purpose of prayer for the sick is to appeal to the One who truly has the power to save both the body and the soul.

Everyone will die eventually (unless you believe in the Rapture), so why should a study at an arbitrarily chosen time accurately reflect prayer's effect on healing? God's purpose for certain ill people may not be recovery, but death. Despite petitions on their behalf, the sick may have reached God's appointed time to bring them into eternity. That's not evidence of the failure of prayer, but proof of God's sovereignty.

The mystery of God's plan and purposes for individuals -- especially with regard to healing and death -- is not knowable, at least on this side of heaven. That's why studying prayer and its results are impossible.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post