Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belief.net quiz on your religious beliefs Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
Go to http://www.beliefnet.com/Enter...es/BeliefOMatic.aspx and answer the 20 questions. Be sure to put down whether your level of belief is low, medium or strong. Then share your results, which will be emailed to you (you will receive a brief summary online after taking), so be sure to use a valid email address if you're interested in how you scored in a range of options. I suppose it's scoring your agreements versus a set of descriptors.

My top ones:
Roman Catholic: 100%
Conservative Protestant: 99%
Eastern Orthodox: 95%
Orthodox Quaker: 95%
Seventh Day Adventist: 94% (go figure!)

For those who might have wondered . . .
Liberal Christian Protestant: 65%
Hinduism: 66%
New Age: 32%
Secular Humanism: 27%
Non-Theist: 18%

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100% Orthodox Quaker!?! Yeah, right?!?

88% conservative Protestant, liberal Quaker.
78% liberal Protestant.
68% Catholic (I shouldn't be here Wink )

I think I confused them. I may be unclassifiable. Some question I wanted to tick more than one box.

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I am apparently something of a closet Quaker as well. Wink Ithink the question about non-violent resolution is the one that sets Quakers apart.
- see http://www.beliefnet.com/Faith...Quakers-Believe.aspx for their descriptor.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took this quiz back in 2010 and here were my results:

My top-ten results were as follows:

1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)
2. Seventh Day Adventist (97%)
3. Eastern Orthodox (96%)
4. Roman Catholic (96%)
5. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (90%)
6. Hinduism (86%)
7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (81%)
8. Liberal Quakers (63%)
9. Sikhism (57%)
10. Unitarian Universalism (55%)

Stephen, Orthodox Quaker, you and me both, haha...now you know why I still think Catholicism may be in your future Razzer

I'll retake the test now and see how things have changed...but no prizes for guessing the results Wink

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the result for 2013 are:

1. Roman Catholicism (100%)
2. Eastern Orthodox Christianity (97%)
3. Seventh-day Adventist (78%)
4. Conservative Christian Protestant (77%)
5. Hinduism (75%)
6. Orthodox Quaker (66%)
7. Mormon (63%)
8. Jehovah's Witness (63%)
9. Orthodox Judaism (56%)
10. Jainism (49%)

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stephen, Orthodox Quaker, you and me both, haha...now you know why I still think Catholicism may be in your future

Haha Big Grin

I was surprised I scored so low as Catholic. Surely I'm not that much of a heretic! I wonder what the decisive question was.

Glad to see your slight Unitarian tendency has vanished, Jacques Wink.

posted Hide Post
Any chance this is a Quaker website run by Quakers who want us all to become Quakers and only the Catholics are getting away with it until they too, overpowered by the Quakers, become Quakers Smiler.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
There were a couple of questions about non-violent approaches to resolving problems, and so I, a good Catholic, of course answered that we should by all means take that route. Wink I think that's what got some of us identified as Quakers.

Pursuing non-violent resolutions to problems is actually the first step in just war theory. None of the other principles kick in until non-violent efforts have failed. That's not pacifism, however, which never moves beyond non-violent interventions.

posted Hide Post
quote:
website run by Quakers who want us all to become Quakers and only the Catholics are getting away with it until they too, overpowered by the Quakers, become Quakers

Haha, I actually looked into Quakerism after my results in 2010.

The unique thing about Quakers is that they are quite fluid in their orthodoxy and rely heavily on the movement of the spirit in their meetings (very mystically centered). They have no official ministers and anybody may share within the meeting as the Spirit gives them utterance. Their name comes from the shivering/shaking/quaking that accompanied their mystical experiences (kundalini?).

Orthodox Quakers are obviously more conservative and retain the general Protestant prerogatives of their forebears...liberal Quakers are becoming more and more syncretic and are also helping lead the cause of the acceptance of homosexuality within Christianity.

I think that if you held to orthodox Christianity, but held to it in the mid to low importance options, it would also place you in a quaker category.

Not sure if this helps identify some of the other reasons people might come up Quaker?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jacques,