Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Morality and Theology    An Exercise Related to the "Why Christianity" thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Exercise Related to the "Why Christianity" thread Login/Join 
posted
About twenty years ago I participated in an exercise that was both enlightening and enjoyable. Please join me, now, in this same exercise if you'd like. I describe it below.

There are three aspects to the first part of this exercise, which we'll leave open for 10 days or so. In a bulletin board - brainstorming-style mode, please list words, phrases or even short sentences that come to mind when 1) you hear the word Church 2) thinking of what is often wrong with Church and 3) thinking of what the ideal Church might be like. There will, of course, be some overlap and some mirror imaging.

You don't have to make your entire list and post it at once. Think of words and phrases during your upcoming days and nights and let your imagination be stimulated by what others post. Try to be comprehensive in your approach and remember all the parts of speech such as nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc Label your lists: 1) church and 2) wrong and 3) ideal. And, have fun! Again, we'll move on to the second part when I get back from galavanting. Smiler

I have really enjoyed the contributions on the Why Christianity thread. Depthful and respectful. Thanks all!

pax tibi,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Church: mystical body of Christ; people of God; institutional organization; a building; parish life; "where two or more are gathered in his name."

2. Wrong (with Catholic): most people need to "wake up" in faith; institutional leaders a separate, non-dialogical, non-responsive layer; all-male leadership; clericalism; a few doctrines in need up updating.

3. Ideal: "See how they love one another!" More democratic structure; leadership accountable to those whom they serve; more involved in inter-religious dialogue; working harder to bring about unity among all Christians.

------------

Just a few, brainstormy thoughts! Wink

Good exercise, JB.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing a practical exercise to us, JB. However, I'm wondering about the use of the word "church." As far as I know, that's a Christian word. Are you, by any chance talking about "faith tradition" or "religion"? I don't see you as wanting to engage in an esoteric exercise, but the language may be limiting....

A respectfully inquiring,
shanti

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jk1962
posted Hide Post
Church--all my brothers and sisters in Christ no matter what "label" they have whether in heaven or on earth. The body of Christ connected throughout all believers whether they be hands or feet or mouths, etc.

Wrong--the pervading idea that "my interpretation" is the right one and if you don't have it, you don't have Christ...with no interaction to see if just maybe we DO share Christ Wink . Lack of realization of what being a part of the body of Christ is. Lack of deep spiritual reverence and exploration of the mysteries of God.

Ideal--unity in Christ and correction of the "wrong" list there. Understanding, love, tolerance, teaching, admonishing, edifying, leading...throughout the the body. Joy unspeakable and peace beyond understanding in Christ.

Thanks jb...I'm free to add more right?...lol.

God bless,
Terri

Posts: 609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Church: 1) building used for Christian worship, 2) institutional aspect of the Christian religion, 3) "faith community" ?? I can't think of any non-Christian faith community using the word "church" 4) things I don't understand (some of which are already mentioned in this thread)

Wrong: 1) Welcome sign is out but it's false advertiseing, 2) concerned only with members, 3) everyone has to believe the same as everyone else, 4) racial, political, sexual, economic discrimination, 5) judgmentalism, 6) lack of ecumenical awareness

Ideal: 1) Welcome sign is out and it "isn't" false advertising, 2) teaching isn't always preaching, 3) care for the world and humanity is just as important as care for members of the group
4) lots of quiet, meditational moments 5) acknowlegment of the validity of personal journey, 6) nourishment of "teachers", 7) encouragement to be open to finding teachers and teachings in unlikely places, 8) being open to a variety of beliefs about the afterlife (if any) and who/what God is (if at all), etc. 9) ecumencial awareness

Terri, you seem to be preparing us for more. Can't wait! Smiler

And I am wondering what "brother and sister in Christ" means--is that a definition for Christians only or is it Christian language for the bond of all humanity? (I'm guessing the latter.)

shanti, feeling a bit awkward here because she is not a member of a "church."

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This exercise is going great.

Yes, church is the word of choice.

The only thing I failed to mention, previously, that I can think of right now, is that this part of the exercise is to be done in a true brainstorming mode; that is to say that while the words and phrases are being posted, there is to be no evaluative remarks or commentary about one another's postings. Just keep the words and phrases coming off the tops of your heads and out of the bottoms of your hearts in a "free association" type manner. Great job everyone! I hope others feel free to join us and that each of you continue to post what may come to mind and heart.

pax tibi,
jb

broadcasting from downtown Great Bend, Kansas,
courtesy of some good friends of us all!

posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. At this point in the exercise, which usually has many more participants, the group is merely asked to reflect silently on what role each may play, individually, in contributing to, both, what is wrong and right in the Church, for rarely, if ever, in this exercise, does the word me get included among the words which describe church.

And yes, as such, this is usually an exercise in internal dialogue, which demonstrates the need for involvement as one of the principles of dissent. I thought it might also be a good exercise in external dialogue by allowing us to reflect upon others' critiques, too. Responses to same can continue to be fleshed out in the Why Christianity thread, as that seems to be where that thread has taken us in recent days in the form of what about the Kerygma? .

pax tibi,
jb