Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Morality and Theology    Faith and Doubt Today, Redux - the phenomenon of modern disbelief
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faith and Doubt Today, Redux - the phenomenon of modern disbelief Login/Join 
<w.c.>
posted
Let me profer a naive view here . . . what of the rather functional soul who wouldn't question the existence of God, find that fact a private, interpersonal reality, but simply not be attracted to the formalities of the church? I'm imagining someone who hasn't been scorged horribly by either family or institutions, but finds community in his or her post-modern family. Of course, I can imagine a person like this almost naturally seeking religious community connections, but there are probably many cases where it is perceived as unnecessary.

O.K., I'll post this, but it doesnt sound very convincing . . .

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect such souls are legion, w.c., based on the premise that, even if they didn't suffer deformative influences, institutionally, be it in church or family or elsewhere, at the same time (and I'm sure this happens) neither did they experience much good formation beyond the most rudimentary catechesis or moral upbringing. Not thus nurtured but still seeking growth, they might have found community in the literature, whether in the hagiographical and biographical, in fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, or other arts and humanities, sacred or secular --- they thus connected and perhaps now live a rather eremitic existence, grown use to the solitude and fond of the silence, praying earnestly and passionately for humankind, living a prophetic witness to the unitive life in a desert of one's choosing. The Church recognizes, as a legitimate vocation, a hermit's abandonment of the world, austerity of life, and external solitude. See the Guidebook to the Eremitic Life and also Raven's Bread , run by my old friend, Paul Fredette.

See, also, if you will: The Postmodern Desert: Solitude and Community in Cyberspace by Elisha Emery Obl.OSB Cam

Phil, perhaps you wish to move these last two posts to the new thread you started? Or somehow have them coexist in both threads. At any rate, I have a feeling that it will be a very rich thread.

pax,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Respectfully said, JB.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w.c.:
[qb]Respectfully said, JB.[/qb]
Yes indeed! And as you noted, JB, I did start a thread to reflect on how one connects to the Church. This can include a variety of non-conventional ways which are very legitimate and much to be preferred, imo, over a wholesale rejection of Christianity because belonging to a Church congregation doesn't seem to work for an individual.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post