Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparative Mysticism Login/Join 
posted
These are some of the best links to Comparative Mysticism on the Internet. I would appreciate any comments or highlights you come across while browsing these. What are your favorite links within the links? The pluralism among, between and even within these traditions, philosophically, metaphysically and theologically is ______________???????????? (I can't think of a word to describe it, now, maybe in the morning). That's why in our pigeonholing of kundalini phenomena, for instance, we often find no mailboxes in which to put the postcard of this or that symptom, the letter of this or that arousal or the oversized crate of this or that awakening! May a million flowers bloom! Though their beauty is singular!
pax,
jb

Philosophy and Western Mysticism Resources by Bruce B. Janz - many links, well organized

Mysticism -The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001. (with good links)

Who's Who in the History of Mysticism by Professor Bruce B. Janz- with links

God, Zen and the Intuition of Being - Complete book online by Jim Arraj

Mysticism in World Religions, edited by Deb Platt

Mysticism Resources Page, Edited by Gene R. Thursby, Ph.D

An Epistemological Study of Mysticism in Christianity and Hinduism by Swami Bhajanananda This may be the url that best relates to some of the Shalomplace discussions of the past month and the most recent questions. Caveat Emptor: Remember, kundalini can be indirectly awakened (unbidden) by intellectual inquiry ! Wink

Monastic Interreligious Dialogue Site w/essays, articles and good links to Bede Griffiths and others

Monastic Interreligious Dialogue - links page

Mysticism, Metaphysics and Maritain - the Essential & the Existential by Jim Arraj

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this topic engages you, then please do yourself a favor and read the book, referenced below:

quote:
Christianity in the Crucible of East-West Dialogue takes you into the heart of this dialogue where mystics, metaphysicians and meditation masters of different traditions are beginning to meet for the first time. It explores these fascinating worlds like that of the Sanbo Kyodan Zen School where many of today's Catholic Zen masters have come, and that of Abhishiktananda, the Benedictine monk Henri Le Saux, who plunged deeply into Hindu mysticism.
But it focuses in a special way on how this interior dialogue is being short-circuited by misunderstandings on part of the some of the Catholic participants who appear to be disconnected from their own deep wisdom traditions. The book goes on, following the footsteps of Jacques Maritain, to look at some of the metaphysical foundations of East-West dialogue that provide a way to avoid these problems.
Christianity in the Crucible of East-West Dialogue:A Critical Look at Catholic Participation by Jim Arraj

pax,
jb

posted Hide Post
quote:
Indirectly Kundalini can be awakened by devotion, by selfless service, or by intellectual enquiry. In these paths the blocks to the awakening of Kundalini are slowly removed. Occasionally, individuals on these paths will experience a sudden awakening of Kundalini but generally because the blocks are slowly and gently removed Kundalini-like experiences evolve slowly in these paths.

Broadly speaking there are two radically different direct approaches to awakening Kundalini. One approach requires initiation by a guru and relies upon a technique called Shaktipat, or "descent of Shakti." It is variously called: Siddha Mahayoga, Kundalini Mahayoga or Sahaja Yoga (Spontaneous Yoga). These approaches are treated in the Siddha Mahayoga FAQ. The other approach uses intentional yogic techniques . The styles using intentional techniques include Mantra Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Laya Yoga or Kriya Yoga.
Kundalini: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND SELECTED REFERENCES in Version 2.0, January 1996 Copyright Kurt Keutzer and generously made available all over the Internet! with certain restrictions.

In my own pigeonholes, I have considered the questions where-when-what-how (or space-time-matter-energy) to correspond to the physiological bases of kundalini; of why to correspond to the philosophical and metaphysical considerations; of that to correspond to the mysticism, itself, perhaps the meta-philosophical; and of who to deal with the theological implications.

I think it is instructive to consider the indirect manners in which kundalini can be awakened. I think this has great bearing on many issues we have discussed in other threads, for instance, 1) the ubiquitousness of kundalini across personality typologies 2) the distinctive manner in which it might typically be awakened in the context of the life of a Christian 3) the physio-kundalini explications and more.

It does not escape one's notice that intellectual inquiry, devotion and selfless service, which can all awaken kundalini, correspond to the traditional pathways of truth, beauty and goodness. I had written elsewhere:

quote:
Below, I�ll juxtapose those spiritual journeys, defined by Peter Richardson, with their associated MBTI types, their associated location in the brain, their enneagram type and their inferior functions.

The Journey of Works , the native spirituality of the ST personality finds expression in administration, stewardship and alignment with law, covenant and order.* Path of Justice. Morality. Institutions. Left Posterior Convexity. Sensing. ESTP/3 ISTJ/6 [inferior intuiting] ESTJ/8 ISTP/5 [inferior feeling]

The Journey of Unity is the quest of the NT personality who seeks great organizing principles, clarity of enlightenment and social justice.* Path of Truth. Meaning. Frontal Left Lobe. Thinking. ENTJ/8 INTP/5 [inferior feeling] ENTP/7 INTJ/4 [inferior sensing]

The Journey of Harmony , the spiritual path drawing the NF personality, is manifest in the pursuit of self-actualization, and a strong interest in healing and social idealism.* Path of Love. Relational. Social. Frontal Right Lobe] Intuiting. ENFP/7 INFJ/4 [inferior sensing] ENFJ/2 INFP/9 [inferior thinking]

The Journey of Devotion is the natural path of the SF personality who finds spiritual meaning in everyday tasks and service to others.* Path of Beauty. Ritual. Art. Right Posterior Convexity. Feeling. ESFJ/2 ISFP/9 [inferior thinking] ESFP/3 ISFJ/6 [inferior intuiting]

For a fuller explication of how I would link personality typologies with physio-kundalini, click here. It is intersesting that the only path not explicitly mentioned in the kundalini faq is the Journey of Harmony, but there can be little doubt that this path leads to indirect awakenings inasmuch as it is focused on self-actualization and healing! I wonder if these personalities in the West, in fact, are the ones most likely to pursue the direct approaches to awakening via yogic techniques? Cool

At any rate, the analogies run deep even as complete identity eludes us. I think the vim and vigor with which these indirect paths are pursued and by which these journeys are undertaken, may precisely impact energy upheavals and imbalance dynamics. I think the very indirectness of the paths explains some of the differences between Western and Eastern experiences, in addition to immersion in distinctly different cultural milieus, which affects the subjective experience and its retelling, epistemology modeling ontology as it does.

This is why I think, at least for dialogue, it is important to avoid the extremes of an Epistemological Hubris that comes from the a priori ontological and of an Epistemological Humility that comes from ontological undecidability and to use a model of Epistemological Holism grounded in the hypothetical ontological. See this Shalomplace discussion of ontology and epistemology.

I hope someone grasps my intuitions. I think they are part of any integral approach to understanding kundalini and to advancing dialogue through commonalities.

pax,
jb

posted Hide Post
This is a great collection of resources, JB, but as the topic seems a little bigger than Kundalini and Spiritual Emergencies, I'm going to move it to Christianity Today.

Thanks for starting it off. I've already used one recommended resource in tomorrow's edition of Daily Seed.

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jk1962
posted Hide Post
In looking through some of your links,JB, I hit on this one:

Mysticism Resources Page, Edited by Gene R. Thursby, Ph.D

That's a great page! It brought several things to mind as I looked over it. I hope it's okay if I just muse a bit here Wink .

About 3 years ago I became acquainted with a monk online. One thing I noticed when we began emailing was how scripture seemed interwoven in his everyday speech. It was truly beautiful to read...it was as though the Holy Spirit flowed off the monitor and into my room, so to speak, when I would read those emails. This prompted me to look up scriptures that I could readily identify in his writings. I found it so inspiring to see that scripture wasn't something "set aside" by him, but rather a part of his very existence to the point that his conversations automatically included God's written word! Through this monk's witness, another friend of mine came to know the Lord Jesus and has since entered a Benedictine order in Ireland. I notice that in his writings the same thing occurs...scripture is interwoven.

Thinking about all that made me think of lectio divina. I'd never HEARD those words until I began reading some things about Christian Mysticism and writings by various monks and Priests. Since I have begun to understand what it means, I do practice it at times. The odd thing I've noticed is that in incorporating scripture into my prayers, it's as though I don't consciously have to think about it as scripture anymore. The words flow in my prayers without prompting and most often without actually having read any scripture directly prior to praying. When these words/thoughts of scripture come flowing in prayer, the presence of God is so consuming and I find that my entire prayer becomes so much more than what it used to be. Fears are dispelled, joy is received, comfort is given etc..a thoroughly spiritual experience. Being a wife/mother/farmer's helper, I have to squeeze in actual reading time whenever I get the chance, but prayer comes throughout the day at any given time. It has been so helpful to take the time to think on the passages I read, slowly let them sink into my mind and soul. I think I'm beginning to understand some of the verses that speak of our having the words in our mind and heart at all times. (Which often makes me wonder if the passages about having the "law" written on our hearts and no longer on tablets of stone encompasses not only having Jesus within us as the Living Word, but also the written Word which is so edifying that it tends to literally give me life in compliment to Jesus.)

For my money, lectio divina is one of the greatest and most sacred tools we can use. It's benefits are so tremendous. Thank you for these links!

On a little different note...I went to a page last night to take a "temperament" test?..lol. Interestingly, when I got through with it, I was classified as a "Guardian". In it's explanation of it, it used the MBTI evaluation as a reference sort of. The "Guardians" are SJ's..if I recall correctly, my MBTI was ISFJ. I thought this was pretty neat!

This is the website for the test:

http://www.advisorteam.com/user/ktsintro.asp

It's the Kiersey Temperament Sorter.

Anyway, that's my Sunday morning muse, I guess..lol Smiler

Posts: 609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terri, I was thinking of Lectio Divina and The Word and such when pondering the "informational" related dynamisms that arose in the kundalini forum. I sense you were feeling the same vibes.

One image that arose in my mind was that of having the Word implanted so deeply in our bones, in our very marrow, from years of liturgy and Divine Offices and reading & meditation. Now, it is true enough that, for some, discursive meditation ceases and a more purely contemplative gaze ensues. At the same time, there are others who might "set aside" Scripture, only in the manner of not taking up the Book as in the past, during their informal prayer --- but not that they are thereby setting it aside --- inasmuch as it is now INSIDE them at every level (if you get my drift). If John of the Cross is normative for contemplation, then his status as the Liturgical Mystic confirms that apophatic contemplation is truly enriched and nurtured by our taking up of our kataphatic devotions. No one truly sets them aside who remains faithful to the sacraments, anyway, at least not in one's formal and communal worship, be that the LOH or Eucharistic celebrations.

I see the beauty you were pointing to, Terri, and I thank you for making your monk friends gift to us also. Keep them with us. May we return their virtue of hospitality Smiler

pax,
jb

Picture of jk1962
posted Hide Post
One image that arose in my mind was that of having the Word implanted so deeply in our bones, in our very marrow, from years of liturgy and Divine Offices and reading & meditation.

YES!!!!! What always comes to mind when I think on something like this is how God breathed life into Adam and how now He breathes life into us via the Holy Spirit...Holy Breath. The Word IS a very real part of our breath and blood and as you put it, in our very marrow. I don't think I ever appreciated how incredibly awesome it is that not only do we have Christ within us, but we have the very words of God running through our veins when we take the time to absorb them, until I started taking the time to meditate on each verse as I went. Needless to say I have years of catching up to do now..lol Wink

I wish Brother Anthony were still alive he would probably even post in here Big Grin . He was a most incredible man and unique monk to be sure.

Thanks, JB,
Terri

Posts: 609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post