Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions and comments Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
Use this thread to ask questions or make comments on topics not covered on other threads in this forum. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to know exactly what I'm supposed to do for the course on the 9th. What time do I sign in and how do I go about signing in and entering in the program. I want to make sure I;m doing the correct thing thank you Cathy Wink

[/LIST]

Posts: 49 | Location: Baldwinsville,New York | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hi Cathy. I see that you've already paid the fee and are listed in the Psychological Types premium group. You should be able to access that group now by clicking on its link and then visiting the threads. I have a start on the content and a few things that early registrants can do.

Let me know if you have difficulty accessing the group: phil@shalomplace.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradNelson
posted Hide Post
Just testing. Best of luck to you on this new venture. I hope it's a success and that you help lots of people.

Posts: 56 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Phil is this usual, I really was hoping this would be a little more active . I don't mean to be critical but there doesn/t seem to be input from anyone ...... I gues i had hoped for more of a chance for meeting and talking w/ folks regarding spiritualty .... Sorry for the bitching just having one of my days... Cath

Posts: 49 | Location: Baldwinsville,New York | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I know you're referring to the Psychological Types and Spirituality forum, Cathy. We have 15 registered, but it's been a little slow. The good thing about a forum is that we can leave the material up and people can participate when they want. Also, people will continue to be joining in the weeks and months ahead.

I'll add another note of encouragement to share experiences when I send out the next conference.

posted Hide Post
I see that we have had no new posts for the last couple of weeks. Don't take it personally! Here are just three of the explanations I found when I Googled to find out why:

The sad death of the internet message board

"Over the last decade, internet message boards have slowly been dying out and it’s not hard to guess why (when in doubt: blame Facebook and Twitter)."

Internet Forums Are, Generally Speaking, Long Dead; Don’t Do Them

"Users need to login; The rise of social media; Social media’s decentralization of content commentary."

Internet forums seem to be slowly dying. Why?

"1. Almost all dedicated forums have a natural downwards curve. People get older and have less spare time, fewer new members replace them. 2. The majority of young people seem to balk at the concept of classic message boards/forums these days. They're seen as a bit dull and 'wordy' compared to social media/facebook usage."

But now, even Facebook is on the way out!

Facebook exodus: Nearly half of young users have deleted the app from their phone in the last year, says study

Getting this in before new European Union rules make it illegal to link to headlines!

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
That all makes sense, Derek, and it's too bad, in a way. It's so much easier to track discussions on a Board like this one, including search options of all kinds. It's easier to moderate them, too.

We still average over 400,000 page views most months, and as I write this, there are 46 guests reading something somewhere. The posts are all searchable by google and other engines, so they are utilized as a resource area. I'm all for leaving things up awhile longer. Maybe I'll start a blog-type forum and post more often -- on current events. My FB friends are pretty much ignoring those kinds of discussions, so what the heck! Smiler

posted Hide Post
For U.S. politics, Twitter is the place to be if you want rapid-fire discussion.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I look at a few sites, but there's quite a bit of trolling that goes on. Also, the depth of analysis and reflection is quite shallow -- sound bytes, mostly.

Perhaps another reason discussion boards have faded away is that participants are generally required to write in complete sentences and have a vocabulary of more than 400 words. Wink

posted Hide Post
I was going top write a book on how to maintain a successful message board (one that makes money) but after years of research (20) I came to the conclusion that it can not be done for a whole bunch of reasons all of them fatal over time. I think that I have already mentioned this to Phil some time in the past Smiler . I do not belong to any of the social media websites including youtube so I have no idea how they work. This is the only message board that I am on, I quit the other ones because I got tired of fighting which I am really good at Smiler . All under the radar of management for sure Smiler ! I do miss it though, it is very addictive.

A current events blog type forum. Humm? Phil the saying where angels fear to tread comes to mind Smiler . If you would like me to participate just let me know where it is at and I will be there. Sounds like fun once I get a feeling for the rules. Phil why not start a current events blog forum here? We have Derek, he is Canadian. That way there would be some sanity to it Smiler . Love you guys! tucker P.S. sounds like fun!

Posts: 429 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tucker:
Phil why not start a current events blog forum here? We have Derek, he is Canadian. That way there would be some sanity to it Smiler

Thanks, Tucker, but I rarely follow current events. I am even one of the "youngsters" who has deleted his Facebook account. Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derek:
quote:
Originally posted by Tucker:
Phil why not start a current events blog forum here? We have Derek, he is Canadian. That way there would be some sanity to it Smiler

Thanks, Tucker, but I rarely follow current events. I am even one of the "youngsters" who has deleted his Facebook account. Smiler

But rarely doesn't mean never Smiler . And if Phil started it you and I would contribute. And to be honest with you I do not follow current events and I actually have no idea even what current events is. I read the politics headlines and sometimes an article to see what my stupid President is up to, but other than that I don't read the news because it is too depressing. I do watch NBC or CBS nightly news just to see what they claim is going on or what they claim that I need to know. Trump says that NBC and CBS are fake news so between what he says and what they say all I can get is fake news Smiler . His and theirs. US politics has become like a soap opera which would actually be entertaining if it wasn't so scary. At the same time Hillary was scary, so I don't know. I didn't use to vote, but they send me the ballot in the mail and all I have to do is fill it out and mail it back. I can't not vote, I have zip for an excuse. And the sad thing is that voting is for the most part just a "hail Mary" and you hope for the best Smiler .

Derek, dumping Facebook is a smart move as far as I am concerned. Inviting the world into your life just doesn't seem rational to me Smiler . Love, tucker.

Posts: 429 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Ha ha, yes, Tucker, it would be fun to discuss those kinds of things with you.

You might check out some of what I'm doing on Facebook, which has more participation.

See https://www.facebook.com/philstromain

Some of my postings are public, and you could read those, as well as the comments, I guess. My postings to Friends would not be visible. For you to comment, you'd have to join Facebook, which is rather painless, overall. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
Ha ha, yes, Tucker, it would be fun to discuss those kinds of things with you.

You might check out some of what I'm doing on Facebook, which has more participation.

See https://www.facebook.com/philstromain

Some of my postings are public, and you could read those, as well as the comments, I guess. My postings to Friends would not be visible. For you to comment, you'd have to join Facebook, which is rather painless, overall. Wink

You have a nice Facebook page Phil. And the things that you are doing that I can see are a gift to others and you have a very nice family. Facebook scares me. My stepson has a Facebook account and he keeps track on his (my wife's) family on it. They all seem to have an account.

Thanks for the offer though, I am sure that I would be a better person in so many ways if I did.

Love you, tucker