Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spamming the forum Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
There have been a number of spammers who have registered accounts recently, and I have banned them and deleted their posts. We haven't had a problem with this until recently, and I would like to leave registration settings as they are so that anyone who wants to post can register an account, confirm their intent via email, then post something right away. I do not want to extend this convenience to spammers and bots, however.

If the problem continues, I will change permissions to manually approve new registrants. Anyone could still register and would have to confirm their intent via email, but they would go into an approval queue before posting. I would contact them by email to be sure their intent is to participate on the forum, and if it is, I would approve their registration.

More work for me, and less fun for legitimate new members, but so it goes with dealing with spammers, who do not mind ruining things for everyone just so they get to flaunt their banality.

Phil

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I am tired of dealing with spammers registering user names and posting inane messages with links to web pages that sell stuff.

Henceforth, all registration requests will need to be manually approved before new members can participate on the forum.

If you would like your approval expedited, please email me (Contact Us link below) after you register, with a short statement concerning your reason for wanting to participate and I will take care of it.

As before, guest viewing is allowed, but only registered members may start new topics and respond to existing ones. Registration remains free, and I welcome any non-spammers who would like to contribute to the forum.

- Phil

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, good job, Phil.

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
This new approval process seems to be working out. It hasn't discouraged those who really want to register from doing so (via follow-up email request, many of them filled with rich sharing) and has eliminated quite a few spammers. I will be continuing with the policy.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
sounds good Smiler

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post