Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-spam measures Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
This board has been relatively immune from spammers until recently. The latest ploy seems to be to register a name, then post a comment in a topic while hanging out a signature that points to some commercial web site. The comments are generally one sentence and superficial, with misspelled words. They contribute nothing to the discussions, and when members have tried to engage, there has been no response.

So, as of today, I will disable signatures for everyone. Only a few legitimate forum members use them, so I apologize to those of you who do and will miss that feature.

For now, I will continue to allow open registration, but my next step will be to place all member requests in an approval queue, pending my approval. I will also be deleting posts and memberships that have been spammish.

We've had a quality board up to now and I'd like to keep it that way. Questions and comments on this topic are welcomed.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Kristi!

Nice to see you in this 'neck of the woods' again.

Smiler

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Shasha! Nice to see you, too. Smiler

Posts: 226 | Location:  | Registered: 03 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're being tested! ... and my guess -- none are blue-meme. LOL!

Posts: 465 | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Signatures have now been disabled on the discussion board as the new breed of spammers have continued to show up, posting inane comments, but with a sig pointing to their real interest.

I realize that some posting regularly have used signatures. If you'd like this permission enabled for your specific profile, let me know and I'll do so. No problem, really.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
So now the spamheads are using PM. Sorry if you received one. I'll see what I can do about this.