Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Book and Movie Reviews    Faith: The Substance of Things Unseen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faith: The Substance of Things Unseen Login/Join

posted
Faith: The Sunstance of Things Unseen
by Penelope J. Stokes

I�d rate this as an extremely useful and well-written book. It has helped me immensely in understanding the strange forces at work in my life, and I don�t mean Rush Limbaugh.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Instead of creating a new thread let me just stick this short review/excerpt here.

Right now I�m reading this book titled Finding Faith by noted postmodernist Brian McLaren. His postmodernism seems a sincere attempt to redress past grievances and to reach out to others who, ironically, (and I�m not so sure he is aware of this) have been put off of more traditional things because of a postmodernist outlook. Anyway, so far it seems a rather savvy, mature and innovative approach to explaining faith, as evidenced by this excerpt below from a section in which he�s running down a list of what I would consider reasonable notions of "bad faith.":

quote:
In writing this book, I asked several of my friends (agnostics and atheists) to read the manuscript and give me their feedback, all of which was helpful and some of which was downright profound. As I dialogued with one of my friends, something became clear to me in a whole new way: Healthy people don�t step backward or down; they only step forward or up. This insight explains both why some people leave faith and others accept it; in either case, their move into or out of faith is perceived by them as a step up. For this friend, brought up in a rigid, anti-intellectual religious system, science (in this case, science as a package deal with atheism) � honest, accurate, curious, open-eyed � felt like a huge step up from the superstitious version of religion he had been presented with. I�d have to agree with him; it was a step up. As we continue our dialogue, I�m hoping he can see that the best alternative to "bad faith" in God is not necessarily no faith (or faith in the science-atheism package). Granted, to step back into the version of religion he grew up in would be a step down, but perhaps there is a step that will present itself to him that will be a step up into good faith.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post