Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash Login/Join

posted
Heartening, amongst the current crop of Hollywood dross (gay cowboys, Palestinian terrorism), to see a film where goodness and grace triumph in a life.

Johnny Cash was a humble man from a lowly background and he carried some of that humility and goodness through his life as a singing star, despite the temptations of pills, booze and fine lookin' women he eventually succumbed to.

June Carter, his second wife, was a good woman, lively, wise and vivacious. (Amazing to see her apologise for her divorce to a sanctimonious old biddy passing judgement on her failed marriage.) She won't marry Johnny until he kicks the habit. And how strong and suppotive she was. So different from the fly by night, ego drenched, talentless celebs of today!

It's a story of redemption, of true love, of grace and goodness blessing a life where mistakes were made and wrong turnings taken. Johnny and June were soul mates. (They died within four months of each other after being together as man and wife for 35 years). The chemistry is apparent on and off stage.

Johnny's redemption (he eventually returned to the Southern baptist church of his childhood, arm in arm with June) really touched me and the love blossoming between the two throughout the film was beautiful.

The story tells itself. The film is understated and authentic; the acting is incredible. Reese Witherspoon is superb as June, personality overflowing. One could be cynical and say that she and Joaquin Phoenix are in it for the Oscar ticket, but the conviction with which they play the two (singing the songs themselves, cookin' up a storm on stage) is just so apparent. And the scenes in Fulsom prison, the famous concert, absolutely rock the movie theatre.

So, go on - WALK THE LINE.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Thanks, Stephen. Maybe I'll go see it. I'm just so discouraged by Hollywood these days . . . . . less and less inclination to support them indirectly, which I never expected to feel.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd also recommend the CD "Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison." Even if you're not a fan of his music, it's a genuine piece of American folk art and an important social document besides.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Yes. I was just thinking of how unique his voice is. So I'll see the movie soon. You've sold me. I'll just pretend it isn't a Hollywood production, which you suggest isn't hard to do as the acting is good enough.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A snippet of dialogue from the Folsom Prison CD(recorded at a time when Johnny was pressing June into marriage, trying to convince her he was "clean"):

Johnny: I like to watch you talk.
June: I'm talking with my mouth!

Occasionally I see a film, read a book, listen to a piece of music that gets me obsessing about American culture - midWestern literary voices, folk and country blues from the deep South etc etc. Eventually various strands coalesce in the cultural centres, Los Angeles and New York, where for a while they generally flourish, only to be eaten up by the machine, passed through liberal or leftist ideology and regurgitated in diluted form. (The best art emerging from these capitals is usually critical of the the process - like John Fante's marvellous novel exposing the seamier side of Holywood, "Ask the Dust") Holywood is ace at this watery regurgitation, but every now and then a film emerges which is true to the cultural roots of the nation. "Walk the Line" is kind of mainstream, but it still manages to tune the viewer into the culture Cash represented so well.