Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What The Bleep? Login/Join

posted
Y'all catch this movie yet?
Excellent graphics and sequences to help explain the fascinating content. Found myself talking with my friend about it for hours afterwards.
http://www.whatthebleep.com/

(thread title edited by Phil)

Posts: 18 | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched the trailer. Looks interesting.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what a mind-blowing flick - literally. I find it amazing, challenging, fascinating and uplifting, all at the same time. Excellent stuff.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This must have been New Age day for me, for I finished reading the DaVinci Code (review on this forum) and went to see this movie.

So what to say? I thought the middle 45 min. or so on the relationship between thought patterns and biochemistry (peptides, cell function) was exceptionally well-done and is worth the price of admission. The graphic work is excellent, with superb examples and even humorous scenarios. Bravo!

The message: consciousness shapes reality, and you can use your freedom to exercise your consciousness in new ways. Yeah, I know: d'oh! Roll Eyes But it certainly is true that robotic patterns of judgmental thought keep us locked in to self-limiting patterns. Nothing new there either.

Attempting to establish scientific proof for our ability to change our exercise of consciousness, the movie turns to the usual experts -- people enamored with quantum physics. I've never understood why someone would think that the behavior of quantum levels has implications for the experience of human consciousness, which exists at least four levels up the chain of being. But there it is, along with the usual silliness about how we create the external world we see, which one Hinduish scientist claimed isn't really there until we pay attention to it. I don't believe that! Newtonian physics is still perfectly valid, only it's been extended by the quantum paradigm. The pothole I hit that gave me a flat existed before I became aware of it. Such a wholesale violation of common sense does little to make the case.

Problem is, New Agers don't really have much else to use to ground the affirmation of free-will. Allusions to religion in this movie were generally negative, reacting to childish notions of the big man in the sky, judging people, sending them to hell, etc. No awareness whatsoever of Christian theology's perrennial testimony to human intelligence and freedom as what is most characteristic of human beings, that these are spiritual qualities implying a responsibility given to us by the Creator, that our role is to be co-creators with God, who is good, loving, mystery, etc. Nosiree! Religion is condemned as a destructive force, daring to say that there is good and bad, right and wrong, and that these kinds of "judgements" (the awful J-word detested by New Agers everywhere) has done irreparable damage in this world. Easier to knock down straw men than to actually have a discussion, as we've even noted in various threads on this board.

Like I said, however, the middle part is very good! Go see it to at least get that piece.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I'll bet that you especially liked the part where "ramtha" said that we are all God's. It was kind of like sticking a knife in my back as well.

I would like to get what you and other's thought about the water crystal experiments done by the Japanese doctor. That was the subway scene if you don't remember. Water crystal link

I agree that there are some very interesting aspects of the movie and it is worth the price of admission. I don't understand how the tie in with quantum physics causes you to wrigle though. FWIW, I see quantum physics as one of the Good Lord's mechanism's to make things work.

Enjoying in Norman,
I

Posts: 12 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally saw this thing. Nothing very new to me. Quantum physics has been around since the twenties and Vedic cosmology longer than that. The effect of emotions on health has been known for millenia, but now we know a bit more about brain phisiology and neuropeptides. I could have rented Brother Sun, Sister Moon 3 times instead. Good movie for people just beginning to think about these things, though.

caritas,

mm <*)))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know whether this movie had gone to video yet so I tried to find it at Blockbuster and they told me they'd have it in March.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MM, wasn't "Ramtha" wonderful? Wink

As I recall (seen it 2x), little pearls like:

- "When you consider the maginifence of the universe, how could anyone claim that human beings are capable of evil?"

- "We are all God. There is no God 'out there'" to pray to."

(Maybe not exact quotes, but in the spirit of things.)