Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Book and Movie Reviews    Redacted - movie about U.S. abuses in Iraq.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redacted - movie about U.S. abuses in Iraq. Login/Join

posted
See http://tinyurl.com/ypb7oa

The director notes:

quote:
"The movie is an attempt to bring the reality of what is happening in Iraq to the American people," he told reporters after a press screening.

"The pictures are what will stop the war. One only hopes that these images will get the public incensed enough to motivate their Congressmen to vote against this war," he said.
Yep, those things happen in all wars. But I seriously doubt that this incident characterizes "what is happening in Iraq" in terms of how the U.S. military treats the Iraqi people. There are other "pictures" that could be shown as well -- most showing troops helping the people in countless ways.

Still, these kinds of stories need to be told, so long as one can keep them in perspective.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<AMH>
posted
You're right about the need of this being reported and dealt with - these guys are supposedly going to be locked up for a long time.
http://www.latimes.com/news/na...y?coll=la-middleeast

This story has been published around the world.
------------------------------------------------------------------
But DePalma knows exactly what he is doing with this kind of film. It is a shame that this guy can make that happen out of something completely disproportionate. It will only fuel more anti American feelings around the world. Here is the same story from Sky News in the UK:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/ar...0200-1282351,00.html
"'People Will Be Arguing Over This Film"

quote:
"People will be arguing over this film... that is what I hope will happen, depending on how successful it is," he said.

"It is un-American to criticise the government... Personally, I am not scared. I am the man they love to hate. I am sure they will say; 'It's another De Palma misogynist saga'.

"But this film is about Americans at war and what we do and we need to stomach it."
Typical Hollywood- acting like he is taking on "the man" on behalf of the victim at some huge personal risk. "-ooooh, the government wants to get me...the secret police are following me ....I�m not scared of them" woof woof (think cowardly lion in the �Wizard of OZ� �let me at �em, let me at �em, I tell ya!�)

Since when was it un-American to criticize the government. Plus, what exactly are the consequences to him? It is too easy - He is not going to rousted out of bed at 3AM and put in jail or shot. He can go to Venice and puff out his chest.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, that's right. Not much heroism there, for sure. But I'm sure the Michael Moore crowd will think this is first-class stuff.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post