Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George McDonald Login/Join

<w.c.>
posted
I'm glad these weren't read until my later years; whereas Lewis and Tolkien were read during adolescense. Now, Lewis and Tolkien are worth re-reading as adults i.e, Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings, but here is their mytho-poetic mentor.

"Phantastes" is first.

Rudolph Otto wrote brilliantly of the Mysterium Tremendum, or marvel of the Holy Other. McDonald actually imparts the experience.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
w.c.

My dad's a huge George McDonald fan. Phantastes, Lilith . . .

I read some of his shorter fiction as a youngster but found the novels too heavy going. At the time he seemed a lot stranger than Lewis and Tolkien (perhaps that makes him all the more interesting). Maybe I should revisit the novels.

He was a Church of Scotland "meenister", from Aberdeen, I think, and believed in universal salvation, which was way out of step with his Calvinist contemporaries.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Stephen:

Yes, although I'm only a third into Phatastes, he does seem to be heavier going than L or T, but has so far been well-worth it. There are moments of heart-rending delight, and horror portending redemption, that nurture and dilate the soul more deeply, or more easily, than either L or T.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our psychic link is operating once again, w.c. Smiler

Just saw Chronicles of Narnia the other day. I'll give it ***** four stars. Lewis read MacDonald as a
boy, and he is the influence for the fantasy writing
as G.K. Chesterton is main influence for the religious writings of Lewis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_MacDonald

I've still never read the Narnia books or Tolkien's
trilogy, although I have them and may get A Round Tuit. Wink Ditto for the Tolkien trilogy. Guess I am
culturally deprived. Frowner I feel that fantasy books are helpful in bypassing the rational mind and the thought processes of mythic membership level.

caritas, mm <*))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post