Notify
Tools

Merton the Movie Login/Join

posted
Interesting! Fancy helping to fund it?

Merton Movie

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The value of Thomas Merton is that he inspires and stimulates people. This movie focuses on a minor drama in his life. I don't think people will be motivated to put their hard-earned dollars toward supporting that.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends how they intend to tackle it, I suppose. The film about C.S. Lewis's love was very sensitive, beautifully handled.

I'm interested (not enough to fork out cash), but perhaps the real movie would be The Seven Storey Mountain. It shows Merton generates interest beyond his writing though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samson,

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
C. S. Lewis was a single layman and, hence, "eligible." Merton was a Trappist monk sworn to vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. The movie is sure to either a.) disparage the whole idea of monastic vows or b.) show Merton to be a hypocrite. Even if unintended, that's sure to be the message many take away.

We're going to show Merton: A Film Biography this fall at the retreat center.

Posts: 3956 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or, c) holy but human...

I hope people, Christians at least, and the film makers, might be a little more sympathetic. It needn't be scurrilous or accusatory. Much as I love his writing, his personality as a poet, lover (remember he had a kid, allegedly) and peace activist are also of interest.

quote:
Merton was a Trappist monk sworn to vows of poverty, chastity and obedience.

All the more interesting from an artistic point of view, full of dramatic tension. I find the struggle between monastic ambition and human desire a really interesting subject. As I say, it depends how they handle it.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I hope you're right, Stephen, only there's a rather large contingency of people out there today who are hostile to religious teachers.

Merton fathered a child before he became a monk during his college playboy days. The student nurse he fell in love with when he was a monk did not have a child with him. Both denied that they had sexual relations.

Posts: 3956 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post