Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marilynne Robinson Login/Join

posted
I wonder if anyone has read any of her novels. I've just finshed "Gilead" which won the 2005 Pulitzer Prize. She's a wonderful writer. Her books are filled with wisdom and insights on the beauty and mystery of life. Her first novel, "Housekeeping", which was shortlisted for the Pulitzer and won a couple of other awards, is one of those special books (like "To Kill a Mocking Bird"), haunting and beautiful and tender.

She's a Christian, a Congregationalist, I believe, and "Gilead" is narrated by an old preacher who is close to death. It takes the form of a letter to his young son and tells a simple story of the preachers life, the grace of the marriage and fatherhood of his twilight years, memories and tales of his father and feisty old grandfather, and the relationship between himself and his namesake, the son of his dearest friend. It's full of the truth and beauty of life as its lived across the generations; grace, redemption, courage and the relationship between fathers and sons.

I could open a page and pick out a quote at random. The writing would be beautiful, insightful. But I'm not going to. Read the book. It's quiet and gentle and thoroughly life and faith affirming. Then read "Housekeeping" and find out what I mean when I say it has that special quality.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen, I think that�s one of the best reviews I�ve read here.

You can buy the book here.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to Marilynne Robinson talking about "Gilead":

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4490635

I should have mentioned the use of water and light in "Housekeeping"; familiar images in literature but here given such spiritual, poetic power that you step into the book like Noah stepping into a world of wet and light after 40 days and nights shut up in the ark.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen,

I enjoyed the interview and it seems that I ponder the same type of questions as Ms. Robinson. Seldom
do I read fiction lately, but that one seems very worthwhile. Thanx! Smiler

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post