Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mel's Passion of the Christ Login/Join

posted Hide Post
OK, I finally went this afternoon. I'll share a few observations that have been made before, so there won't be anything new here, really.

First, I was deeply moved by the film. It was every bit as rough as I expected, but that's how it was, I'm sure. If the figure on the Shroud of Turin gives us any clue of the beating Jesus endured, then Gibson didn't exaggerate anything. The Jewish soldiers and then the Romans literally beat the hell out of him so that there was hardly one square inch of his body that wasn't cut upon. Horrible and gruesome, accentuated by the sadism of the "professional" Roman torturers--also realistic, I'd guess.

Jesus came across as a real human being--strong, loving, and even with a sense of humor. I connected with him easily. His suffering was not minimized and his persistence in faith and a sense of his mission was done well--not too pietistic. Christians everywhere will not be disappointed in the portrayal of him.

Mary was wonderful! I think she is the key to the movie. What Jesus endures, she watches and suffers herself, so the audience tends to connect with her as well. Her suffering does not immobilize her, however; she follows him all the way, supporting him as best she can. There are times when it seems as though he looks to her for encouragement. A flashback shows a playful moment between her and Jesus during the "hidden years." That was another nice, human touch. The juxtaposition of Mary and the androgynous devil character is also nicely done.

As for the anti-Semitism . . forget it! There was a mob calling for Jesus' crucifixion, but that's Scriptural. The Gospel authors do speak of a "crowd," and they note that Pilate washed his hands of the whole business because he feared a riot. Think of what's implied by a riot--much more than a small group of Jewish elders. The anti-Semitism bit is harped by troublemakers--people who didn't want a movie about Jesus to be released in the first place, much less to be popular.

The overall "spirit" of the movie is Jesus' confrontation with the powers of evil; it's much more than a kind of historical documentary. Gibson succeeds very well in maintaining this context, and Christians will appreciate that, no matter what their "theology of the crucifixion." The atonement/expiation people will love it; those who view it as a great mystical/mythical confrontation will like it, too. Well done, Mel!

It bears repeating, however, that this IS a movie, and not an historical documentary. Gibson takes artistic license in many areas, but this doesn't overly detract from the movie. The one exception (for me at least) was in the explicit depictions of Jesus' loss of blood. This is a bloody movie, as I'm sure the reality was as well, but Gibson never lets us forget it. There is blood flying during the scourging, blood all over the floor afterwards (which Mary sops up -- with towels brought to her by Pilate's wife!!!), blood which drips from the tip of the nails driven through the cross (no way!!), blood all over Mary's face after she kisses Jesus' feet on the cross, a fountain of blood from Jesus' side when he is speared on the cross (as though an artery was still pumping). Blood, blood, blood! Here, Gibson's midieval Catholic piety comes through, driving the artistic dimension. Some of the most vile torturers seems calmed by their contact with Christ's blood; the message is unmistakable. This will not upset those who embrace an expiation/atonement theology, but for other Christians, it will seem overdone. Count me in the latter group.

All in all, this is a good movie--very much worth seeing. I do understand the point about not wanting to see a loved one tortured and killed, but that might not be the best way to approach things. I think it's more along the line of a powerful meditation on the Passion, which we Christians do every year at this time with the "Way of the Cross" devotions, and with full-length readings of the Passion narratives. This is the story of a loved one tortured and killed, but our remembrance of this and what was accomplished by it is an important part of Christian meditative practice, I believe. Go see it, and just close your eyes for the scourging; that's really, really nauseous!

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

Thanks for that long review. Glad it was a positive experience for you.

And I'm glad to hear that those who see the life of Jesus and His death and resurrection as God experiencing humanity fully is accomodated by the movie. Jesus just seemed to enjoy other people so much, which is not the kind of characterization we'd find in the gospels if he'd incarnated to save the world from some depraved state.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to Richard Rohrs comments on The Passion:

http://www.cacradicalgrace.org...nnected/passion.html

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 million DVDs shipped to retailers. Sales are running over 20% ahead of projections. That's over a $billion when added to theater ticket sales.

Money talks and it's a language Hollywood understands. We may be seeing more movies with religious themes and Mel and I are very happy Smiler

caritas,
mm <*))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell Mel to send a little money this way! Smiler We could use the help.

Glad to see sales going so well. It's a powerful movie.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SEND PHIL MONEY!!! Smiler Seriously, I believe it's good soil for seed to be sown and anyone who
supports this ministry shall be rewarded. Saint Paul
asked for money in a rather shameless fashion in his epistles and money and spirituality do go hand in hand.

The Good News flows freely to all, but someone has to put in the plumbing. Wink Spiritual entrepreneurs are moving Christianity into a more deeply spiritual place and thank God for them. Capitalism meets Jesus! Smiler BLESS YOU, PHIL!!! caritas, mm <*)))))><

posted Hide Post
Hear here! Wink

I must say, however, that I will not be purchasing that DVD or video. Sitting once through that movie was enough for me.

posted Hide Post
David Hawkins calibrated Mel Gibson's intent
in making the picture at the very high level of 490.
The actual calibration of the production was 195, which is why it drains the energy so much. If the 10 minutes of torture were removed, the picture would calibrate at the level of consciousness of 350, which is the level of acceptance, forgiveness and transcendence.

Gibson and I, (saw it twice myself) have been desensitized by a few too many war movies, it would seem. Shock value sells tickets. There have been more than a few Islamic fundamentalists who saw the picture because they heard it was anti-semitic. The Lord moves in mysterious ways Wink

caritas,

mm <*))))><

posted Hide Post
I wonder how Hawkins would have calibrated the real thing? Wink

posted Hide Post
I don't know, but there may have been an archangel involved, and they calibrate at 50,000, which might explain the earthquake. Wink mm <*)))))><

posted Hide Post
michael - where did you find the Hawkins calibrations on this movie?

Personally I just watched it (DVD) with my wife. She asked me what I thought, it was difficult to put into words. Two days later all I could say was it felt "real". She agreed. I've never had that feeling watching a movie before. It was strange.

Thanks!

-Tim

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.beyondtheordinary.net/drhawkins.shtml

Passion of the Christ is calibrated in the May 11, 2004 broadcast. Happy holidays and warm welcome 2U Smiler
caritas,

mm <*)))))><