New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Am Charlotte Simmons Login/Join

posted
John Derbyshire reviews Tom Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons

quote:
The coarseness of their language reflects the coarseness of their lives � coed bathrooms, affectless recreational coupling, and heroic drinking. Over all hangs the terrible dispiriting blight of cool. Notes Adam:

The cool guy doesn't flatter anybody or act obsequious or even impressed by somebody � unless it's some athlete ... and you don't act enthusiastic unless it's about sports, sex, or getting high. It's okay to be enthusiastic about something like Dickens...or Foucault � or Derrida for that matter � but if you want to be cool, you don't show it, you don't say it, you don't even let on. A cool guy � and I've seen this happen � can secretly work his ass off five � no, four � nights a week at the library, but he has to make light of it if anybody catches on. You know what the favorite major of the coll guy is? Econ. Econ is fireproof, if you know what I mean. It's practical. You can't possibly be taking it because you really love economics."

Under this cruel, oppressive cult of coolness, all point and purpose drains out of life, and a dull, solipsistic hedonism takes over. Wolfe paints a very depressing picture.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post