Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Premium Groups  Hop To Forums  Psychological Types and Spirituality    1. Discovering your Psychological Type

Moderators: JB, Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1. Discovering your Psychological Type Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
There are several ways to do this:

A. By using a test such as the Keirsey-Bates Temperament Sorter or, more commonly, the Myers-Briggs Test, which is not available for free online (a simplified version can be found here. All that these tests really do is present situations where you might choose to act one way instead of another, and the use of a certain psychological function is presumed in your action. This gives a general idea of your type, but it needs to be verified through experience.

B. Experience. Learn what introversion, extraversion, thinking, feeling, intuition and sensation really mean, and see what you actually do in your everyday life. Tracking the Elusive Human, vol. 1, by James and Tyra Arraj is an excellent introduction to Jung's psychology. This resource is available to you as a reference for this class. You might also benefit from Part 2 of Living Together, Loving Together: A Spiritual Guide to Marriage (pdf ebook) that my wife, Lisa, and I wrote together. We share our own experiences in working with the types; perhaps you can relate to some of it.

C. Go into analysis with a Jungian psychiatrist (f you can find one anywhere). OK, that's probably not going to be your choice, but I had to list it for the sake of completion. Wink

- - -

In future lessons, we will go over the meaning of the test results and terminology. This will help you to clarify your type and learn more about what it's telling you about how you've been "fearfully, wonderfully made." Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Posts: 3955 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
A starting "assignment" would be for you to introduce yourself on the Introductions thread, and to share the results of the Kiersey-Bates test on this thread. If you've also done a Myers-Briggs test or, through observations, have a good idea of your type, you can share those results here as well.

- - -

My type is INTJ. I.e., I am an Introverted Intuitive Type, with extraverted thinking as the auxilliary function.

If what I just said doesn't make any sense, hang in there. We'll go over all this in the days ahead.

Happy Lent to you all,

Phil

Posts: 3955 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those interested in Jesus' psychological type: click here. Eeker

Actually, I'm really just kidding, although you may wish to save that link for future reference, should it interest you. There are some interesting links on that webpage, which I put together from some old Shalomplace discussions.

pax,
jb

Posts: 100 | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a favorite site for periodically testing my type, at
http://www.humanmetrics.com

I'm an isfj, though a few years ago when I took the Jung types conference with Linda and tested myself at the site she gave, I was an estj, which never felt right. But isfj feels like me. I tried to test myself on the link Phil gave, but got locked up and had to reboot, so will have to try again and see if it agrees with the Humanmetrics site.

Peggy

Posts: 28 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Naomi
posted Hide Post
Hi. I am Naomi. I am in the Alpha Group involving all the three groups. I am very very definitely an introvert. My type seems to come out INFP. I find that it has changed some through the years as I evolve and change.
Interesting to share with others here.

Posts: 74 | Location: Iowa, called Heartland | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I took the MBTI I scored as ESFJ. I couple of years later I took it again and scored ISFJ...this type is definitely me!

You might be interested in this website: www.personalitypage.com. It provides many of the same descriptions of types and preferences, needs for growth, etc. that have been suggested at other web sites. Of the various descriptions of ISFJ, I agree most with the description from the personalitypage website.

As I read through this description again , I realized that many of the characteristics of the ISFJ were the same charachteristics that were mentioned in a recent analysis of my handwriting. (Some of the indications mentioned in the analysis that also fit my ISFJ type were: belief in fair play, not likely to leave a task unfinished, honesty, strive for excellence, more comfortable in familiar surroundings, practical and determined, and sensory stimulation (whether color, tone, flavor) is appealing to me. VERY INTERESTING of the similarities!

Posts: 23 | Registered: 01 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an INFP. This type fits and describes me perfectly.

Posts: 3 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Metanoia,

I don't know if you're still around here...
I'd not seen this thread before, but it is a fun one.

I recalled taking the MB and scored INTJ many years ago. I just took one of the on-line versions above and scored INTJ again!

I do wonder if some of my responses were based more on my *wishes* than how I actually operate. I guess just wondering that is a give-away that I'm a T more than F, though that was my closest score to center.

Introvert was my most extreme score. I'd guess a lot of Shalom Placers are Introverts as so many are drawn to prayer, quiet, solitude.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clare
posted Hide Post
When I did the MB test many years ago I came out clearly as an ENFJ. Later I took the Singer Loomis test which is a development of the Myers Briggs, and my inner life differed from my out life, and it made so much more sense. In the singer loomis, I was and EINFJP. In other words in the workplace and outer world I can be quite the extrovert, but when it comes to my spiritual practice I am an introvert, and likewise when it come my work and social life I am very much a J, whereas in my inner spiritual practice I am a P. So many way of being in the world. I am a Four in the Enneagram, and thankfully by grace, quite a redeemed Four. Fairly ordinary!! (smile )

Posts: 65 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 18 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Metanoia--

I was INFP, too, in the Keirsey test, but ISFP in the second link in Phil's opening post--just barely over the line into S rather than N, but strongly I and P.

I see Keirsey calls INFJ "The Counselor" (also making an interesting comment about psychic phenomena in that description) as both Shasha and Clare seem to border on that type.

Posts: 578 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I've had different results on tests through the years as well, which is why, in the opening post, I listed option B as a way to understand your type. To me, the tests just give a hint. The best thing is to see what you actually do -- what you pay attention to, and how, what criteria you use to make decisions.

Also, as conferences 7 and 8 will explain, there is a tendency for the more unconscious functions to emerge through the years and for greater balance in all the functions and attitudes. That's one of the good things about getting older, at least. Smiler