Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Premium Groups  Hop To Forums  Psychological Types and Spirituality    6. Type determination and the auxiliary function

Moderators: JB, Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6. Type determination and the auxiliary function Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
Now that we have covered the basics on the two attitudes, the four functions, and how these combine to produce eight primary types, we are ready to interpret your test results from thread #1.

Slides 11 and 12 from our online slideshow provide the key, here:
http://www.heartlandspirituality.org/premium/slideshows/jungtypes/pages/slide11.html

We note:
1. The first letter of the code tells you the attitude of your primary function, and, hence, whether you are primarily an introvert or extravert.
2. The second letter tells you which Perceiving function -- S or N -- is stronger.
3. The third letter tells you which Judging function -- T or F -- is stronger.
4. The fourth letter tells you which function (the Perceiving or Judging one) you use to deal with the outside world -- which is extraverted.

INTJ

1. My primary function is I.
2. My stronger P function is N.
3. My stronger J function is T.
4. I use my J function (Thinking) to deal with the outside world.

Now there's an assumption built in, here, and it's that if your primary function is Introverted, then the auxiliary, or 2nd function will be Extraverted. . . and vice versa. This is generally true.

So my primary function is IN, and the auxiliary is ET.

Slide 12 shows how this plays out with an Extraverted type.

Makes sense? Do you see what that four-letter code is saying? It's giving you a clue to your primary and auxiliary type.

Still can't figure it out?

That's OK. Use this cheat sheet: http://shalomplace.com/res/jungtypes.pdf
You'll see how the combination of eight primary types, each having two auxiliary possibilities, yields the 16 psychological types in Jung's schema. This is important: IN primary types, for example, all share many common characteristics, but those with EF as auxiliary are also very different in many ways than those that are ET.

For full descriptions of the 16 types, see http://typelogic.com/ Our reference book by Jim and Tyra Arraj also has some nice descriptions. You can use resources like this to verify your own type. If it doesn't seem to fit, that's OK . . . you started with a test that asked only very general questions. If you can at least narrow things down to your primary type, that's pretty good. Identifying the auxiliary function and distinguishing it from the 3rd function is a little trickier, especially for people who are over 35 years of age.

More on the developmental aspect of Jung's typological system on Monday . . .

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm going to Jump in here as no one else has been attempting too and I 'm wondering why? Is it because we don't undrstand or loss of interest or now it gets to personal or what? I'm Not quite sure how each function works in my life at this juncture to be perfectly honest due to the brain damage... That is sincere... I do have brain gliches so I am being honest there too. But I think due to illness one tends to become more introspective because of circumstance...and you are focred to see things more acutely than before.. When a time frame to your life is given your cherish life more abuntantly for the present moment. So you tend to have all your functions more balanced through the grace of God not by anthing I've done that's for sure....I've just been open to His Graces to get me by each day...WHen I was young I was a definite EfNj now I'm more balanced w/ my innner functions of introspection and introversion , crictical thinking,...I'm still the warm hearted person I've always been but Idon't just act On feelings now I take the whole picture into consideration and weigh all the options before a decision is made . In order to make sure that the Sacred thing is done not my thing strictly on an emotional level... Hope I'm making sense here... I tend to ramble due to the brain injury...So let me know if I don't make sense... That's my 2 sense for the day Some else please jump in we are all being to quite and the ball must get rolling if we are to learn anf grow.....

Posts: 49 | Location: Baldwinsville,New York | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Cathy, you mention that when you were younger, you were ENFJ, which means that EF is your primary function and IN your auxiliary. You can read over some of the descriptions of that type on the typelogic.com link cited above and see if it fits.

That "cheat sheet" I shared sketches out a developmental schema for each type through the years. We'll say more about that on Monday, but for now, I think can explain some of what you've written about a balancing of the attitudes and functions through the years. Still, as you noted, something of the primary function prevails, in your being the warm-hearted person you've always been, only now with the support of the additional functions.

Maybe we'll see more sharing over the weekend. As I noted on another thread where you mentioned this, we have 15 registered for this forum, plus 5 Alpha Group members who can drop in as well. The threads will remain for anyone to view and respond to at any time.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
For those who check this thread, do visit that web site at http://typelogic.com/ Their descriptions of the 16 types is excellent, even listing examples of famous people who share that type.

I almost felt like I was reading something of a general biography of me when I read the INTJ description. That's another good way to verify your type.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil St. Romain:
For those who check this thread, do visit that web site at http://typelogic.com/ Their descriptions of the 16 types is excellent, even listing examples of famous people who share that type.

I want to affirm that the typelogic site was very useful for me, too. Phil, at some point, would you want to explore possible correlations between the MBTI and Enneagram? Maybe that would help people further connect, although I know it could contribute to confusion if done at the wrong juncture. Also, you mentioned something earlier that reminded me of type falsification and what we experience when forced to work or interact with others in a manner that is at odds with our own attitudes/functions. Perhaps you could touch on this. I'll have some personal history to share in that regard with regard to what has been called the PASS or prolonged adaptation stress syndrome. I was out of my element for over two decades on my career path (and am still feeling sorry for myself) Big Grin

pax,
jb

Posts: 100 | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
JB, maybe we can add a thread on Jung's types in relation to Enneagram at the end. You can always bring it up in the General Discussion thread at the top.

A little later I'll have a thread about types and lifestyle issues, and what you call PASS can find more thorough treatment then. It's an important issue, and one that typology helps us to identify. The short of it, as you've noted, is that we do pay a price when there's too great a mismatch between type and lifestyle.

posted Hide Post
Your "Psychological Type Development" chart is very helpful. I have referred to it a number of times as I have read the material.

ISFJ
My auxiliary function is EF. I wonder if this is why I can sometimes cry easily (even in front of others, which is not something I am comfortable with) when sharing something personal? I do not like conflict and will do all I can to maintain harmony.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 01 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post