New
Find
Notify
Tools

2. Extraversion and Introversion Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
See the following sections in the resources:
"Who was C.G. Jung" and Extraversion vs. Introversion section of "Basic Elements" in Chapter One of Tracking the Elusive Human

Chapter Six of Living Together, Loving Together

Slides 4 and 5 of the slideshow

(See the Course Resources thread for links)

----------------

In his first publication on psychological types early in the 20th C., Jung differentiated between The Two Attitudes: (E) Extraversion and (I) Introversion. In fact, he was the one who coined these terms, which have since become part of modern parlance. What this refers to is the general flow of energy and attention in a person -- whether one is oriented toward the outer world (E) or inner world (I).

Here are a few points to note:

1. E and I are on a continuum; no one is 100% either, but we are all generally more one or the other. The characteristics on the tests and worksheets can help you decide which one you are more like.

2. E types can introvert at times, and vice versa.

3. As we get older, these two seem to come more into balance. It might help to think back on your younger years to see if you were more E or I.

4. There's absolutely no moral or spiritual advantage to being E or I. What we are describing here are natural tendencies in human beings.

5. Almost 70% of Americans are E types. If you're an I types, you've probably felt a bit of an oddball at times.

6. As you've probably guessed, the E and I in the test you took refers to Extraversion or Introversion.

----------

The following URL has an amplified list of E and I characteristics. Imagine these on a continuum. How would you rate yourself? Which characteristics more accurately describe what you do? You can use this kind of list to double-check your test results.

http://members.chello.nl/p.cooijmans/essay/intrex.htm

-------

Suggestions for sharing on this thread:

1. Questions/comments you have about E and I.

2. What's it like for you to live and work with people who are opposite your E or I attitude?

3. How has your E/I attitude changed through the years?

Posts: 3955 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a strong E for many yrs but always felt that I was also very I in many ways and many people were totally unaware of this. As I've grown older I realized that I've always had a strong balance between the 2 and that was why I felt this way. I've been graced to be a very good listener and also been enabled to sense if someone is in trouble or needs help or some sort of assistence ... I always felt God granted me the graces to be open to the present moment in peoples lives and I had this inate ability. Whehter this is true or not I do not know or part of my personality is yet to be defined. BUt I think this all plays part of jungian typology. Don't you think?..... How we use our inate gifts is another story right Phil....?

Posts: 49 | Location: Baldwinsville,New York | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've decided it is going to take me a good month to try to figure this site out. I keep thinking I've got it down and there you go. I'm not quite sure where to write my note or which part to be adding my 2 cents into. Which doesn't say much for this stroke victim.... Process isn't my forte at this juncture.... so if it's wrong.... touche.... you are stuck w/ it for awhile till I get the hang of it.......Are we to be adding our thoughts each day or waiting till some questions come our way. quess I need some direction here... or else I'll ramble on forever and you'll be sorry. Cathy Smiler
quote:

Posts: 49 | Location: Baldwinsville,New York | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'm very introverted. I prefer communicating by email rather than picking up a phone and calling someone; and if I'm at a party or with a group of people I don't know well (or even with people I know well but in a different situation, like going out for dinner with co-workers), I'm relieved when I can go home again. I have a great sense of humor and love to laugh and joke around with people, and love to share deeply with one or two people, so if someone asked those who know me, they would probably be told I'm an extrovert, but it doesn't feel right to me. Still, I wonder how much of a part my blindness plays in my attitude. Since it's harder to figure out what's going on in large groups, or since I have to ask for help in a lot of situations where I go out with others, it takes a lot more energy to interact with people than perhaps it would for me if I were sighted. So I often wonder how much my introversion is because of my disability. Still, I love to come home from work and just hang out at home and do what I want when I want. Smiler

Posts: 28 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Cathy, you're doing great. You can share what you want on a discussion thread whenever you want. There are about 15 people registered, and I assume some will be chiming in when they want to. The good thing about doing it on a forum like this is that anyone can add on at any time -- even months from now.

One thing I should mention is that introverts can often look and act extraverted when they're around people they know and are comfortable. Also, as I mentioned in the opening post on this thread, there is a tendency for the attitude to become more balanced through the years. If you're not quite sure whether you're E or I, think back to your younger days. What do you think others would have said about you then? And remember, there's no stigma about being one or the other . . . no great moral or spiritual advantage either.

As Cathy noted, opening to the present moment is a grace that can be given to either I or E types. The difference would be that I types would be more attuned to their inner world in the present moment, while E types would be more attuned to the outer. When we talk about Sensation and Intuition, we'll nuance this some more.

Don't forget to use the Notifications feature to keep up with what's going on via email. The Digest feature will send you the entire text.

Posts: 3955 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SmilerI have to tell about the great experience we had as a family today. Our daughter called and asked if we would go w/ her and her family to the Franciscan Motherhouse On Court in Syracuse to visit the chapel and site of Mother Marianne of Moloaki. Our DD at age 11 chose mother marianne as her confirmation name. and they just moved her body from Molokai to Syracuse to the MotherHouse. this past week. She wanted her daughters to go and say some prayers and also learn about her. and also pray for her beatification..... So it was rather interesting seeing through the eyes of a 6 and 9 yr old and answering questions about Fr Damian and Mother Marianne. and Faith and miracles. and what it means to be a Saint and what are miracles.... Children are such sponges....and such miracles in themselves. Mother Marianne would have been pleased at their sheer joy and trust and belief...It's that trust in children that always amazes me and saddens me how we adults lose it so easily....I'm rambling I know but it was an unusual day and beautiful day and I wanted to share it w/ this new community as I thought it was a unique experience as our little world in Syracuse dosen't harbour too many Saints and it was wonderful to teach our granchildren and touch another generation w/ God's love and Faith and unconditional loveand to see in the eyes of children is so wonderful and I feel so Blessed...... I had to share w/ someone. Thank you all for listening... Cathy

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Cathy. We are listening . Smiler

- - -

I've shared some of my struggles re. I/E in the section of Living Together, Loving Together cited above -- especially in the context of marriage. For me, this is a big issue, especially since my I needs are compounded by the development of a contemplative spirituality/lifestyle that doesn't do well with contemporary Americana. I just can't "go and do" like everyone else, but need to be able to take my "quiet times" and pace myself. Those needs seen to, I can "go and do" quite a bit, just not like E types.

I pay a considerable price when I go too far into the E lifestyle -- headaches, poor sleep, a sense of inner disorientation, etc. It's just not an option for me. I've even had to quit a couple of jobs because they called for too much E attention/energy.

As we continue to explore the four functions, we'll discuss more how a mismatch between one's type and job/family requirements can affect one's overall health. Suffice it to say that, for now, introverts generally have a tough time of it in Extraverted America (and other countries as well, I'm sure).

posted Hide Post
Phil, I can relate to the I/E struggle . I use to be an RN Case Mgr. when I worked out in the Field dealing w/ the Patients and attending to needs and dealing w/ the day to day issues and finding quiet time in my car between visits as I drove over 800 miles a week it worked out just wonderfully. Then the Peter principle. I was promopted to Mgr of Clinical Pracitice. I did a great Job and magaed an large staff but sort ciruited myself and ended up quitting my job. I realized I was not doing what I was called to do. I was not helping patients as I wanted to and also meeting my inner needs. It is easyto get screwed up and also get a power high. Also money plays a role for family finances. sometimes you have wo weigh it all and it is hard to discern the right action to take when the old angel of Darknes leads you in the wrong direction and you aren't listening w/ your heart to God as you should because you are so busy and occupied you don't hear Him. As a result discernmemt is miscaulated. Can't tell you how many times I've done that one.... So I can All too well relate to you Phil if this is what you mean..... Am I on the right track... Cathy?

posted Hide Post
I have always tested E on the scale and definitely feel I am. I have also been attracted to people who are I on the scale, they help me go deep and I love to do that. With the breadth it is great.

I love meeting new people and am often pulled off topic by getting distracted with other people or activity around. I need an environment that has very few distractions if I am going to listen as I would like to others. It takes a lot of energy to focus and go deep into conversation. I find my mind wandering after a while. As I have gotten older and also had a lot of stress in my life, distraction comes even easier.

Posts: 6 | Location: usa | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peggy Kern:
I have a great sense of humor and love to laugh and joke around with people, and love to share deeply with one or two people, so if someone asked those who know me, they would probably be told I'm an extrovert, but it doesn't feel right to me.

Peggy, I very much, as an I, identify with what you describe above. I tell people that I am sociable, which is not to be confused with social Smiler

pax,
jb

Posts: 100 | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil had commented on 2/11/05 "introverts can often look and act extraverted when they're around people they know and are comfortable."
My first conscious awareness of the difference between Es and Is happened after the sisters I was living with in the formation house hosted a New Year's Day open house for all the other sisters living in the motherhouse. After a few hours of greeting and conversing and hospitality, the introverts were all ready to go to their rooms and close the door, while the extraverts energized and ready for more.

In any group discussion forum, I am always grateful for the facilitator who is aware of the E and I difference...allowing some quiet time for the introverts to think about what they want to say as well as to put a hesitation on the extravert that is ready to begin talking immediately.

When I am aware of a strong extravert in a group, in my desire for finality I need to remember not to take everything that E is saying as the final word. As an introvert, I sometimes need to take more initiative to "speak up," even if I don't feel completely ready to do so.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 01 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post