Paperback and digital editions

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forced Kundalini Login/Join

posted
In this thread we have discussed the energy of kundalini from different perspectives. But, I don't remember when we discuss this issue separately particularly in the context of Christianity. It is well known that those different techniques exist in East-religions can forcibly awaken the energy of kundalini. However, I have never heard Christians by applying intense spiritual exercise unknowingly forced k energy. Jim Marion in his book Putting on the mind of Christ wrote the following:

"I have also known of several priests who, by intense spiritual exercises, opened themselves to the energies of infused contemplation (for Jim infused contemplation is the same as kundalini). But, intellectually, for whatever reason, they were apparently unable or unwilling to let go of the rigid mythic belief system in which they had been schooled. Their inner battle between head and heart resulted in disaster. They ended up in mental hospitals after suffering nervous breakdowns. I don't think any of them has fully recovered." (p.90)

It doesn't sound that these priests had natural k awakening. This can lead us to question what kind of Christian spiritual exercises can awaken k forcibly. I found Jim's assertion interesting. If any of you who know such cases please share.

Posts: 340 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Grace,

Excellent topic. These priests mentioned by Jim Marion may have also been gripped by fear, and therefore, where unable to surrender their hearts and minds, as Jim says being controlled by the mythic belief system, which is absolutely overwhelming beyond all imaginigs.

Personally, I do not believe that someone should try to awaken the kundalini in any way, shape, or form. It takes the total surrender of your mind and trust in God's love within your heart, and let Him give you this gift, for God alone knows when you are ready to receive.

Eastern knowledge is available in awakening k, and these priests may have tried some of these methods together with their Christian meditations. I have great compassion for these priests who are now unable to function. The sheer terror of thinking that they were doing wrong, just sent them over the edge.

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi there people.

In my own experience, there was a first phase of Kundalini movement through my body/non physical body and a quiet phase after expansion of the halo into the darkness beyond.

The next phase was indeed a struggle between what I thought and felt, the map of my mentality as it were, and an intelligence that seemed to be both orchestrating the struggle and cocooning me from damage at the same time.

It had both mental visual elements and purely thought and feeling elements and combinations of all three.It was quite relentless at times, intruding into sleep states at times and it seemed to know maybe what were my 'weak points' intimately.

I was young at the time,not a member of any religious group, quite open minded in my thinking and not involved in any relationships. After about two weeks or so it seemed I was getting the gist of what was required, which was a type of stillness and non judgemental letting go, and that phase ended rather abruptly by entering another quiet phase with celibacy in thought which was quite strange and unnerving for a 17 year old boy.

Which all in all is a roundabout way of saying I think I understand what these poor fellows went through.To attempt to hold on to cherished beliefs and understandings and have the Goddess breaking you apart is not a desirable place to be.This is a theme that crops up in church history Im sure though not always obviously.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tarantella, you broke the ice with your first post; a big welcome to you. Smiler

It appears that you have also had a natural k opening without any external manipulation. May I ask you as to how many years you have been in this process and awareness, and are you now following a particular spiritual belief or embracing an universal love for God, or as you say Goddess.

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, I'm a bit leery of what Jim Marion has written, especially since he noted that they were apparently unable or unwilling to let go of the rigid mythic belief system in which they had been schooled. Those of you who read our dialogues know that he has a big-time axe to grind with Catholicism. There might be a hundred reasons why priests struggle to integrate kundalini (the very, very, very few who might have awakened the process), but the most unlikely reason is their "right mythic belief system." At worst, this would correspond with the neo-Thomism taught before the 2nd Vatican Council, which is precisely the perspective that Jim Arraj and I have used to help understand the meaning of kundalini.

The only cases I'm aware of in Christianity of kundalini awakening in connection with a specific spiritual practice is centering prayer, and even then it's not common. Furthermore, this wouldn't exactly qualify as an effort to awaken the K, as the intent is a deepening relationship with God. I've counseled with many who've had K arousals from cp practice, and none ever ended up in mental hospitals.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

I wouldn't say I have had a kundalini awakening, but I used to be a "spiritual" drug user (i.e. smoked weed and took LSD and Ecstasy to engage in relationship with God).

During this time I was influenced by New Age and hence Eastern thinking and practices and energy work.

After becoming a Christian I regarded all these things as demonic and evil, but through your website and other influences my perceptions are begining to change. (I was wondering if there was a forum where I could share more of my story and perhaps get some feedback from everybody). I would like to continue some of the energy work, as I have had some experiences of energy, but I don't have any of the hectic symptoms that seem to indicate full kudalini.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jacques, either as an old or new member, I welcome you. Smiler

Let me recommend you starting a thread and new topic on transformation experiences where you could share your story, and get our feedback on same.

Looking forward to your experiences.

posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Jacques.

As Freebird noted, we have a forum on Transformative Experiences and that might be a good place to share your story.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, you are now famous!. I found your article on Christian Mysteries and you are mentioned in other articles as well.

Questions about Centering Prayer 11 (and kundalini arousal). First the url will lead you to inner explorations, and from there to the website. Phil, hopefully can give a more accurate url.

http://www.innerexplorations.com/chmystext.que.2.htm

Grace, this is approriate for your topic discussion. Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freebird:
[qb] Hi Tarantella, you broke the ice with your first post; a big welcome to you. Smiler

It appears that you have also had a natural k opening without any external manipulation. May I ask you as to how many years you have been in this process and awareness, and are you now following a particular spiritual belief or embracing an universal love for God, or as you say Goddess. [/qb]
Hi Freebird. Smiler

Hi Freebird, You will have to forgive my saying Goddess but at the time there was an imperative to separate the initial experience from the subsequent experience.
This, however,is hindsight from 30 years distance of that experience which allows me to express it so.There is a reluctance of speaking to others directly about this that I dont think I will ever overcome.I know for some the Kundalini experience has been a bad one but for me it was sublime, as fast as I could cope with it,but slow enough for me to understand it and move forward when the time was right.It was an intensely real process that not only revealed some of the inner truth that I was seeking but also showed me why it is not always wise for 17 year olds to seek such things with such recklessness.

Which, returning again in a roundabout way to the thread topic, is a way of saying I feel the Goddess comes in that form when She is needed.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Tarantella,

Beautiful and heartfull sharing of your story, for which I am so grateful for. It is good for others to hear that your own kundalini process was sublime, and that you received inner truths that set you free.

I hope that in due time that you will feel comfortable enough to share more with us.

Loving tribute to the Goddess, which for me is Heavenly Mother Zion, and who is very much part of my life and being as well.

Bless you Tarantella.

Smiler