Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kundalini Art Login/Join

posted
- note: you'll need to navigate to http://shalomplace.com/cgi-bin...;t=000078;p=0#000000 to see these images.

Through the years, I've come across numerous art works inspired by the kundalini process. Often, it seems the piece is expressing a relationship between kundalini and the artist's religious perspective. Perhaps art is even an important way for some to integrate these powerful movements of energy.<br /><br />Recently, an artist named Wallace Williamson shared with me some of his paintings (via digital images). I share these with Wallace's permission, of course, and think they are fine examples of Christian-kundalini art works. <br /><br />1. Christos/Kundalini (or Logos/Eros)<br />- http://shalomplace.com/images/k-art/LogosEros.jpg (92 KB)<br /><br />2. The Crucifixion (Wallace is the painter in the picture).<br />- http://shalomplace.com/images/k-art/crucifixion.jpg (632 KB)<br /><br />3. Heiros Gamos<br />- http://shalomplace.com/images/k-art/HeirosGamos.jpg ( 196 KB)<br /><br />---------<br /><br />Please feel free to share your thoughts and responses to these, and to post links to other examples of kundalini-inspired art.<br /><br />(Note to those unfamiliar with this topic: the snake, here, doesn't represent the devil, but the movement of transformative energy from the spine to the brain.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Exceptional. And I can relate to the images, since a cobra is often an expression of K's activity, especially when I face a painful truth about myself, or gradual falling away of the false self. When my third eye opens, I feel two feathers along my forehead, which those birds remind of.

I especially enjoyed the last painting, as it is more suggestive than a depiction.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the first painting the most. It nicely describes the K process within the context of Christian spirituality. K has risen in attraction to, and in guidance of, the Higher Power. It makes everything spiritual, safe and natural, not forced. I especially like the idea of the aspirant as a cup, which having previously been emptied of the false self is supported by K in receiving the blood of Christ, to become more Christ-like. However, I feel that this emptying and refilling happen at the same time (not one after the other) until the transformation is complete. This picture seems like a snap shot of an �advanced� stage.

I liked the second picture too. For me, it depicts the selflessness and compassion of Christ. His grace is always available to fill the cups of those whom, emptied of pride, approach Him with a receptive and devoted attitude. In this picture the blood to me also represents His love for it is coming from the heart. Is the artist producing a likeness of Christ? What do the lizards and tree represent?

All this must be pretty obvious to Christians!

Here is a rather typical picture of K within the context of Hindu spirituality, post realization stage�

web page

Some Hindu sages assert that the sushuma is actually curved through which, Shiva and K - having married in the crown chakra - descend together to the heart chakra. Their union is consummated there, giving birth to a new individual, with the sense-of-self shifted from the head to the heart. These views are in harmony with Tantric Buddhism in which the Om Mani Padme Hum (jewel in the lotus) mantra symbolises the union of masculine and feminine energies within the heart chakra.

So, here is a simple picture from that tradition�

web page

Posts: 6 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, interesting pictures. Not often we see images of Christ and the K together. I actually prefer more abstract, stylised techniques in art. In primitive art, for example, there are interesting images of the serpent as the universe which very much relate to K as the energetic building block of creation. Australian aboriginal art in particular runs with this mythology.

I find abstract art sensitive to the emotional, psychological shifts of K awakening, without any direct representation of the process. Rothko, for example, very meditative; Pollock, full of energy. And the use of bold colours in modern painting stimulates the energy at a vibrational level.

OK, art history lesson over Wink

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, here's abstract. Wink Also from Wallace Williamson.
http://shalomplace.com/images/k-art/Soluna.jpg

It's not as explicitly Christic in symbolism, but, like so much kundalini-inspired art, there is a kind of mystical luminosity. Wallace comments on this one as follows:

The lizard with the moon in the center sits on a luminous field with the one
light source behind it's center. A lunar eclipse perhaps. However when the
lizard is seen as space and not object the one light becomes many light
geese. It's almost like looking up the sushumna from the base. I've not
attained the unitive state by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems
to be implied here. Also the change from many geese (many consciousnesses)
to the One seems related to Bernadette's (Roberts) remark that we all eventually
become Christ.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all speak to my condition, more so than most images of the crucified Christ.

I've been thinking about the death process. When I've seen animals die, they almost always go into some spontaneous convulsions near the end. My image of Christ dying is of a simple final breath. but I wonder if that is realistic. With such a traumatic death, wouldn't there be some spontaneous convulsions? In most cases?

Posts: 455 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
They're still there, Kristi. I've set permissions so that people can't link directly to images on shalomplace.com from off-site, but you can open it on-site. The discussion thread from the old forum is http://shalomplace.com/ubb/ult...;f=4;t=000078#000000 and you can open the images from there and then come back here to discuss. That's a work-around for now until I can tweak permissions so they'll work from this site as well.

- - -

Related topic: there's an interesting painting of Mary with numerous snakes in her halo (no other symbols); it's at the Magnificat Retreat Center in Wichita. I'll post a picture of it soon and we can discuss.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Here's the picture I mentioned above. No one at the Center knows who painted this, and all presume it is Mary, though she is usually dressed in blue. Also, it's not clear whether it's a close-up of her from a larger painting.

Any ideas what's going on, here?

a larger view

-a close-up

a larger view

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they're snakes? If so, the Christian reference for snakes would be the garden of Eden.

I thought they might be wisps of incense, which would represent prayers.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
They're snakes, with heads and even tongues, on a few. Check out the larger view, if you haven't, and use your browser's zoom option to enlarge even more.

Best I can say is that it's transformed kundalini, and the artist picked up on this archetypal symbolism somehow.

posted Hide Post
Hmmm...an art history mystery. That's an intriguing painting, Phil.

It reminded me of a cross between Jan Van Eyck and Sandro Botticelli. I couldn't find anything quite like it among Van Eyck's Madonnas, though. I did find this from Botticelli: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M..._Loggia_(Botticelli)

The red inner garment under a darker mantle, usually blue as you said, is pretty common, and the silken hair veil is common in later paintings, too. But I've never seen the snakes in the halo. The Botticelli Madonna I linked to does have distinct serpentine figures in the halo, though. The form is similar, without being actual snakes. It makes me wonder if the painter of the snake halo saw Botticelli's Madonna della Loggia and went off that idea, transmuting the crushed serpent in Genesis into a symbol of Mary's victory and glory through Christ....just my two-cent speculation, anyway.

Posts: 82 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting painting Phil,

What I notice about it is that the snakes are coming in, not out. The heads are closest to the maddonna,s head and snakes do not move backward.
But then the question would ocur toi me what would the artist know about these enegies? Did he have a K experience or Holy Spirit come down on him or did someone describe such to him?
Also could be a reference to fiery serpents in the book of Numbers.

Nu 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
Nu 21:7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
Nu 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
Nu 21:9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Bob

Posts: 14 | Location: Illinois River Valley | Registered: 15 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Interesting reflections, Ariel and Bob. I looked up Botticelli madonnas on the net and some do seem to have serpentine imagery in the halos, though nothing quite so explicit as this one. I did not see this particular painting, however.

Bob, let's not forget that Jesus, too, associated himself with that bronze serpent that was lifted up. (Jn. 3: 14) This is also similar to the staff of Asclepius used by the medical profession, where it is a symbol of healing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
Interesting reflections, Ariel and Bob. I looked up Botticelli madonnas on the net and some do seem to have serpentine imagery in the halos, though nothing quite so explicit as this one. I did not see this particular painting, however.

Bob, let's not forget that Jesus, too, associated himself with that bronze serpent that was lifted up. (Jn. 3: 14) This is also similar to the staff of Asclepius used by the medical profession, where it is a symbol of healing.

Hi Phil,
No I would not forget Jesus in this regard.
Joh 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
Joh 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Nu 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
Nu 21:7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
Nu 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
Nu 21:9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

So, not only the fiery serpents seem to relate to some of the K symptoms but Jesus on a pole is the fiery serpent that heals when we behold him. And brings eternal life also by us beolding him.
The sin of speaking against God is wiped away by beholding the Serpent. Wrong words come from the heart/belly of the subconscious mind. Solar plexus. Wrong words come from wrong thinking.
Beholding Jesus on the cross is the awareness of Grace which overcomes the penalty of law. When this (Grace)colors our entire way of thinking I believe the problems with the "side effects" of K are lessened. Jesus brought Grace and Truth. Before we come to realize the full extent of what that means for us we still have the law of sin and death influencing our view of reality at a subconscious level.

The benefit of looking at the serpent on the pole of brass, which is a shadow of Jesus on the cross, is that it will bring us to a full realization that we are no longer under the law but under Grace. The blockages to that energy would have to lessen if not dissappear altogether.

To touch or approach God in the Old Testament was a very dangerous proposition. As evidenced by the man who tried to right the Ark of the Covenant when it was falling over. He died instantly.
But now, because of the Cross the veil to the Holy of Holies is torn and we are urged to come boldly to the throne of Grace.

I think right thinking may be the entire key to right energy flow within us. And sometimes the wrong thinking we have is below the surface enough that we don't realize it is still there.

By the way, I am reading the book you recommended, "What is Self" by Bernadette Roberts. Very good book. Slow going, though. I read a little and think about it a lot before going further.

All the best,
Bob

Posts: 14 | Location: Illinois River Valley | Registered: 15 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Bob, where did I recommend "What is Self?" I don't recall doing that anywhere, though there is some thought-provoking material in it. We've had several long discussions of her work on this board, if you're interested.

Nice reflections on fiery serpents and the Cross. Thanks.

quote:
I think right thinking may be the entire key to right energy flow within us. And sometimes the wrong thinking we have is below the surface enough that we don't realize it is still there.

I completely agree, as it is thought that gives form to "energy." That's why Paul, in Rm. 12:1 calls for a complete renewal of mind, and why I emphasize so much the importance of sound theology and doctrine -- or, at least, of not ascribing to bad theology and heterodox doctrines.