New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Kundalini, really? (An open question) Login/Join

posted
First off,

Hello!

I am new to this community, but I have found it to be filled with wonderful and informative discussions on Kundalini.

As a fellow traveler along the mystical path, I would like to broach an open discussion regarding something i have been considering lately.

The question I have is: What is Kundalini, really? We can look at it as as set of symptoms. We can view it mystically, through the lense of ancient traditions. We can even view it through a modern, scientific view, as a modification of the human nervous system. And there are other perspectives to be sure.

But I want to go further... I understand that some people might be content not to... but I would like to ask, what is the ultimate purpose of Kundalini? Are those of us that experience this phenomenon meant for something special? Do we have a particular duty to mankind? Is it that only some of us will achieve full spiritual revelation, just as only a few seeds from a tree out of many thousands become trees themselves?

I am struggling with this question at the moment. As we go through life, questions arise. For me, now is a time to contemplate my destiny.

I have never had a desire to view myself as special, and that is still true today. However, in my heart, and in my head, I feel that i have something special to do as I progress along this path. A job to do. I believe that any life path one chooses is important, and yet we can see that some people perform greater roles in the world than others (though not necessarily, "better"). Is Kundalini just something that happens to a few people, and changes them and them only? Or is there a great purpose, which we do not yet see?

I hope that you, the community here, can help me to understand this question from your own experience and knowledge. I also don't wish this to devolve into new age baloney... ascended masters and such.

However, I feel like I need some input on this interesting question, because on the one hand, I have this feeling from deep within me, to keep pushing, to keep going to find my place and my purpose. To use some cliches, not to settle but to keep taking risks and reaching for the stars. As if at some point, a great transformation will occur, a decisive moment so to speak, where you get to the top of "the mountain".

But on the other hand, what I observe on the internet (admittedly a poor representation of reality) is that Kundalini-people (what do we call it?) are simply living their lives, content to drift in the river, some of them doing good things and thriving, others really struggling with this burden.

I am very interested to hear what you think about this question. Thanks for reading, and please post your thoughts.

Posts: 9 | Location: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Karmachameleon,

Welcome to Shalom Place. It's nice to have you join in on some of the discussions. In this thread, you ask some very interesting questions... I don't believe I have any solid answers, but I wanted to share briefly my point of view on k. and growing in holiness. Sadly, these two don't seem to be linearly related, so I don't adhere to the standard take on k being some kind of spiritual evolution in the sense of becoming perfected/holy. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary as provided by the lives of gurus who seem to have split off their "spiritually enlightened" selves from basic moral conduct. In fact, the temptation to feel superior and special with k energy moving around the body seems quite universal. This sense of specialness with having k experiences, as you know, can be easily infused by magical, neurotic wishes for grandiosity and omnipotence—which we all have to some extent.

At the same time, I know that we're created in the image of God. Hence, there is a healthy striving for achieving a kind of greatness, because God is great and we want to live IN HIM. IMO, however, this kind of impulse for greatness can only by fulfilled by a surrendered and humble lifestyle. Knowing how God wants you to live and doing your best to live that way seems to be the highest call.

“When you remain in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit.
Without Me, you can do nothing.” John 15:5.

Can k. facilitate that kind of living or hinder it?

In my life, I’ve seen k. create a lot of problems and delusions, especially as I got mixed up with the Eastern path and multiple enlightened gurus—a couple who were into worshipping k as a goddess and another who was into manipulating k strictly as an energy. It’s only been since I’ve renounced all those connections, dedicated my life to Christ, and come under spiritual direction that I feel on safe ground.

I know Phil’s posted elsewhere that the quieting of the mind that k brings about can be a kind of soil in which seeds of virtue can grow. That makes sense to me, but I don’t see it doing much more than that in most people.

Many thanks for your generous sharing. God's peace to you.
Smiler

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I was hoping these exchanges would continue, for they are excellent. Thank you three for sharing so richly.

Posts: 3951 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed, very worthwhile reading! Smiler

Posts: 77 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carmel43
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,
I have visited this site often, looking for discussion on symptoms I experience and how to deal with them. But Christine your comments gave me comfort 'cause your experience seems to mirror mine.

Staying calm, and surrender to the Holy Spirit goes a long way doesn't it. Over time, I too, have the understanding that I am called to be an intercessor. Seems that when I deviate from this practice and "go where I think I want to go", things become chaotic. If I keep my life simple, not agonizing about money, family problems, ...stuff, I experience God's peace.

Its very difficult to articulate my experience with K, but Christine's imagery of "river" has come up often along my spiritual path. About surrender, not pushing things myself to make things happen according to me. The river will take us along and what we think may be boulders up ahead, if we don't struggle, the river takes us around those obstacles.

Christine, it was good to read your post, I don't feel so alone in all of this. Donna

Posts: 41 | Location: Petoskey, MI | Registered: 08 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
indeed, very good discussion and i am sorry i have not dropped by in a while to participate.
Wink

interestingly, in the short time since i began this topic, i believe i have found a sort of answer to my own questions, and i am grateful to everyone who has participated!

at the time i wrote the post... finding that i was on the verge of great breakthrough, i wanted nothing more than to sprint to the finish line.

but some weeks later, i have discovered that at the penultimate moment, sprinting is ill-advised. in fact, as others have alluded to here on this topic, surrender, and not sprinting, is the answer.

i admire that so many here have such a mature attitude toward the divine and toward life.

its funny, in the end, how humble the kingdom of god turns out to be. and how peaceful it is.

my ambition and my drive are still here, but i am putting them to use in the name of paced, disciplined practice. i believe now, more than ever, in the power of k. and i see now why this is a secret that has been so closely guarded through the centuries. now more than ever, there is probably the risk of falling on the way. but for those that do, there is victory. and when enough people have found victory over themselves, than the world will change Smiler

Posts: 9 | Location: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carmel43
posted Hide Post
just re-reading everyone's posts, read this last night in Sr. Faustina's Diary, p. 28, "Let God push your boat out into the deep waters, toward the unfathomable depths of the interior life."
Love that!!

Posts: 41 | Location: Petoskey, MI | Registered: 08 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post