Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On dying Login/Join

posted
Hello again, everyone,

I've just caught up with some of the more recent topics and thought this might serve as a follow up to the discussion on the K and Holy Spirit thread re. dying, especially following some of w.c.'s observations from his hospice work.

I've just watched my father pass away. The family was with him for 5-6 weeks while he deteriorated from a brain tumour. I was with him at his passing and have to say it was one of the most beautiful and profound experiences of my life. Not in any way distressing, despite the heavy sadness.

What I witnessed was a beautiful surrendering of the breath to God; God taking the spirit of a man into His loving hands, catching it away, softly.

There was a minute or two where the family stood around the body, almost disbelieving, coming to terms with what they had just witnessed, and then a deep sense that what lay before us was just an empty shell. My dad was a pastor and spiritual teacher in a small church in Scotland and he frequently brought death and dying into his ministry. He always said that the spirit stayed around the body for a while after death, so strong were our attachments to this life, and sure enough my sister and I had an incredibly strong sense of my father's presence in the room after death. Then he was gone, into Abraham's bosom. I couldn't kiss my father's face as we left, he wasn't there. Instead, I was filled with a deep joy and satisfaction that God was now craddling him in His arms. The funeral gave a similar impression.

I wrote a small poem during his illness. Please indulge me and forgive my presumption, but here it is:

Christ in the stars,
The face of my father
Laughing at
Christ in the stars.

Christ on the moon,
The feet of my father
Leaping with
Christ on the moon.

I have this strong sense of heavenly joy and action, as well as deep rest and fulfillment, not in anyway a merging of the soul with God, nor, however, any sense of separation of God from man.

As a follow up, you might be interested in the video art of Bill Viola, in particular the Nantes tritych, where the artist has three screens, one depicting the birth of a child; the second the death of his mother; the third a man submerged in water. Or, if you can get a hold of "The Passing", a video film which incorporates scenes of a dying man. All very powerful stuff placing birth and death in their spiritual context. You might find the scenes of death and dying distressing, but in that spiritual context, one can't help being caught up in a greater, deeper, bolder panorama.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Stephen:

I was wondering about you the past few weeks. Sorry for your loss, but glad to hear what you've described. Sometimes family members have a difficult time letting themselves feel the peace and radiance as the person dies, and briefly afterwards as you describe. So good to know you and your family were able to be open to this with your father.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve!
Good to see you again. Sorry for the loss of your father. Everything happened in our life has a purpose. The awakened soul understands what that purpose is and appreciates God. Your sensitiveness to feel the delicate spirit of God makes you humble in front of your loving father's dying body. Usually lots of emotions are involved in such occasion. It seems you are able to divert that energy to the good of your soul. I admire your serenity. I'm sure you have learned a lot from this incidence. I also like your beautiful poem. I will attend funeral of a good friend next Friday, so I will have your poem in my mind. Thank you for sharing this experience.

Posts: 340 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dear Stephen, expressing my heartful sympathy in the loss of the physical body of your father. As a Pastor, he knew the words: O death where is your sting, O grave where is your victory.

Love your poem. SmilerNow your father is one of your guides watching over you and your family. Although absent in his body, his love and blessings remain with you all.

Stephen, it is so good to have you back with us. I did wonder what had happened to you. Do share more of your experiences during your absence.

Light, love and blessings,
Freebird

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen,

I too feel sorry for your loss. Your sensitivity to your father's passing touches me deeply. The poem is such a lovely sharing of your heart. Thank you for posting it.

I work in hospice care and the video you mention, "The Passing" sounds interesting. I'm going to look for it.

With Love & Gratitude,
Tate

Posts: 77 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your condolances.

It's such a personal experience, but I feel safe enough sharing it with the shalomplace regulars. It also sounds quite subjective, but it was something the whole family experienced together and this in itself was a great comfort and source of strength. Hope we can all find strength from God at these times,

Stephen.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
[qb] I was with him at his passing and have to say it was one of the most beautiful and profound experiences of my life. Not in any way distressing, despite the heavy sadness. [/qb]
Stephen, Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 455 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adding my condolences for your loss and gratitude for your sharing, Stephen. One of these days we shall all have to breathe our last breath, and so it's edifying to hear that this passing can be a sweet letting go into God.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen,
Thank you for your deep witness, Stephen, especially the poem. May healing grace continue to surround you and your family.
Do you have a reference for the video resources you mentioned?

Posts: 82 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been reading a good deal of Stephen Levine and enjoying his writings, which are still used widely
for the spiritual training along these lines.

Although a long-time associate of vipassana teachers
Goldstein and Kornfield, Richard Alpert (Ram Dass) and Kubler-Ross, he is less well known to most. Our local vipassana teacher says that Who Dies is perhaps the best exposition of Buddhism in a single volume available. High praise indeed! Smiler

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.../0385262191?v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.../0385262213?v=glance

Levine is very approachable and human. Not self-styled guru, he sat with many of the dying, and became one with them. He has firsthand experience with his own addictions and compulsions , and knows Nouwen's path of the wounded healer.

Five stars for both of these books and many thanks for Levine's pioneering work! Smiler caritas, mm <*)))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been reading a good deal of Stephen Levine and enjoying his writings, which are still used widely
for the spiritual training along these lines.

Although a long-time associate of vipassana teachers
Goldstein and Kornfield, Richard Alpert (Ram Dass) and Kubler-Ross, he is less well known to most. Our local vipassana teacher says that Who Dies is perhaps the best exposition of Buddhism in a single volume available. High praise indeed! Smiler

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.../0385262191?v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.../0385262213?v=glance

Levine is very approachable and human. Not self-styled guru, he sat with many of the dying, and became one with them. He has firsthand experience with his own addictions and compulsions , and knows Nouwen's path of the wounded healer.

Five stars for both of these books and many thanks for Levine's pioneering work! Smiler caritas, mm <*)))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
revkah,

I got the video from an art distributor in the UK, but I've lost the contact number. Perhaps if you google - Bill Viola - The Passing - you might find it.

Death rites and rituals are interesting in the various traditions. In Catholicism I suppose the last rites is a means of grace. My dad was very informal about his religion, but still his passing was grace filled, no doubt, despite the lack of rite. The family was certainly a means of grace, but, more, there was a palpable imparting of grace to his spirit towards the end.