Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know Ann Ree Colton Login/Join

posted
Hi all,
I recently found a kundalini book by a Christian mystic Ann Ree Colton called Kundalini West. Does anybody know her or the book?

Tara - find more help for kundalini problems on my website taraspringett.com/kundalini/kundalini-syndrome

Posts: 262 | Location: UK | Registered: 03 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Looks very interesting. I will be picking up a copy of this one. Thanks, Tara.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I downloaded it to my Kindle last night, looking forward to reading it later.

She looks interesting, quite esoteric, but I rather like what I've found on the internet so far. Devoted to Jesus, his sacrifice. Her wee sermon on YouTube was pretty good.

Ann Ree Colton

Reading the book...it seems very esoteric, perhaps unnecessarily so. Lots of detail, which maybe precise, but lots of speculative, quasi-theology and a good deal of Theosophist type esoterica. I'll keep reading, but I prefer a more down to earth approach. It may take a more western tack as it progresses. That seems to be her aim at least.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samson,

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colton started a religion called Niscience. After her death the religion was headed by her husband. He later committed suicide over accusations of fraud and cult-like activity: http://articles.latimes.com/19...008_1_church-members

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He later committed suicide over accusations of fraud and cult-like activity: http://articles.latimes.com/19...008_1_church-members

eeeyuu - that does not sound too good. I bought myself the biography of Ann Ree Colton written by her husband - probably very biased (I bought it second hand and it stinks - eeyu again Frowner - have hung over the book shelf to air). But I am a sucker for biographies. I will let you know if I think it is any good.

Tara - find more help for kundalini problems on my website taraspringett.com/kundalini/kundalini-syndrome

Posts: 262 | Location: UK | Registered: 03 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacques:
Colton started a religion called Niscience. After her death the religion was headed by her husband. He later committed suicide over accusations of fraud and cult-like activity: http://articles.latimes.com/19...008_1_church-members

1. Niscience is a system of practices and instruction, but it is essentially Christian - even if acknowledging the truths in other religions. I wouldn't say she "started a religion."

2. Her husband Jonathan's latent problems did grow without her moderating and correcting influence. But that is no reflection per se on Ann Ree Colton. The challenges for someone who dedicates to serve are greater than for lay persons. Every corner of their souls are searched for cleansing. Jonathan started out fine, but gradually built momemtum to the lower elements to his Scorpio nature.

A great many pioneering souls had followers who went off track. There are horror stories about Yogananda's successors, as well as those of Saint Francis, Jung, and many others. Hey, about 200 years some of the followers of Jesus went off track.

I did know Ann Ree Colton and have only the highest praise for her. In fact, her stature has grown in my estimation with each passing year.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Alcofribas. Thank you for posting your comments about Ann Ree Colton. Your point to the effect that a leader's work cannot be properly evaluated in terms of the behavior of his/her followers is valid, especially if their actions are clearly incongruent with the teacher's as has often been the case in Christianity.

I do not know this woman's work well enough to comment, but from the little I've read, she seems to have been intuitively and psychically gifted, with great compassion for others. The general flavor I get for her teaching is that it is a blending of sorts between theosophy and Christianity, which is bound to be a challenge to articulate. I've come to respect the work done at kheper.net and wonder what you'd think of the reflection on the page link below:
- http://www.kheper.net/topics/Niscience/ARC.html

You say that you knew Ann Ree Colton. What kind of interactions did you have with her?

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
I've come to respect the work done at kheper.net and wonder what you'd think of the reflection on the page link below:
- http://www.kheper.net/topics/Niscience/ARC.html

You say that you knew Ann Ree Colton. What kind of interactions did you have with her?

Hi Phil,

The author of the kheper site has read lots of various writings. I don't know how much he has internalized or realized. Reading and realizing are two different things. Not a criticism. It is expected on the spiritual path that each student will come with prejudices and have a mixture of digested and undigested knowledge. I did. Overcoming these comes by degrees over many years and its rate depends on honesty, application, and teachability.

The kheper author (forget his name now) expressed appreciation for ARC and a few minor criticisms: unstructured writing and a moralizing element.

That ARC's writings are "completely unstructured" is somewhat valid. The reason is that she produced a torrent of writings by hand, which were mostly gathered into books in an attempt to put related material together. I personally like her style of writing, and having read all her works, the disorganization of her later ones didn't bother me.

As far as moralizing, well, she did speak for morality. I don't think that's bad. Perhaps the site's author found them strict or outdated. Times have become more lax today. I personally found her values to be very good.

For interaction, I was her student for many years. In her younger years I had some one-on-one time and personal counsel, though my one-on-one times were infrequent toward the end as her health declined. When she felt well enough to stay after her classes or services, students would form a long line to talk to her, some of them taking a long time when they got to her. I thought that was inconsiderate, hence my reluctance to take much of her time or energy.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response, Alcofribas. It sounds like ARC has been a positive influence in your life. I appreciate your dropping in to share your experience as a former student of hers.

posted Hide Post
Just a quick note to say that I have now started to read the biography of Ann Ree Colton and I very very much enjoy it. Ah, I just love spiritual biographies and this is a fine specimen.

If someone has any good suggestions for more spiritual biographies (any religion), please tell me as I have already read so many that I am afraid I soon will have read them all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KundaliniTherapist:
If someone has any good suggestions for more spiritual biographies (any religion), please tell me as I have already read so many that I am afraid I soon will have read them all.

Yeah, I like those spiritual autobiographies too. Your question made me ask myself which ones I've enjoyed most over the years. I've read Peter Caddy's In Perfect Timing several times, though I see it's now sadly out of print. Eileen Caddy and Dorothy Maclean also wrote autobiographies.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend Denise Linn's autobiography, How My Death Saved My Life. She's a new age healer, but her story, including a difficult childhood and an NDE, is fascinating. Plus she's a very nice writer.

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks guys for the tips! Just bought Denise Linn's biography.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a quick note to say that I have now started to read the biography of Ann Ree Colton and I very very much enjoy it. Ah, I just love spiritual biographies and this is a fine specimen.

quote:

"Autobiography of a Yogi" is another spiritual classic. Paramahansa Yogananda, the author, was very interested in blending Hinduism with Christianity. He had a great insight into the Bible - better than a great many Christians. I have reread it about 50 times so far.