Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Living Spirit Foundation a cult? Login/Join

posted
See http://www.rickross.com/refere...eral/general758.html

I've posted a few references to Solomae Sananda's site in the past, especially in reference to her use of "The Gospel of the Holy Twelve" (search this forum for past discussions). They seem to have more serious critics at this time, with very serious allegations.

I know some of you have been enamored with Solomae's books and other writings. Perhaps this thread could be used to share some of your experiences and concerns. Her writings seem very gnostic/New Agey to me, but that might actually be a draw for some. To my reasoning, however, she's way, way, way out of touch with traditional Apostolic Christianity, picking and choosing from the Scriptures when it suits her needs and overlooking a lot more when it doesn't.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had originally been drawn to Solomae's writings because she was the first person I'd read who had something interesting to say about the difference between kundalini and the Holy Spirit. (Besides you, Phil, I have not heard anybody else who experienced and wrote on this important topic.)

However, I have come to feel that she departs quite radically from some important views on the workings of the Holy Spirit through the church.

This article certainly sounds incriminating and sensational. I really don't believe, however, that Solomae in any way encouraged this woman's death. From my direct interactions with LSF, they are not interested in accumulating converts, followers, or money. Solomae and her husband strike me as sincere Christ-followers (who do espouse views which are at variance with the traditional church), but they in no way seemed exploitative of others as the article suggests.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
It's always a bit concerning when spiritual teachers start accumulating disciples who change their names in deference to the teacher and start giving up money, etc . . . Posing as a sort of guru, as she seems to be doing, just doesn't have a place in Christian community, as she has nobody to answer to but herself.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was alerted to this article by a correspondee, who had been much influenced by Solomae's writings. As I hadn't read around on her site for awhile, I decided to do so and found the material evolving more and more into gnosticism. The emphasis is on "ascension" of consciousness, along with a great deal about dark energies, evil spirits, etc. There's nothing sacramental going on there: no appreciation of the presence of Christ in community, no recognition of Christ in the poor, the suffering, the downcast -- even those who are tormented by evil. It seems to be all about cultivating one's preshee-poo spiritual consciousness and not having that sullied in any way by lesser, more "dense" beings. Then there's the whole issue of their tacit condemnations of orthodox Christianity as they offer an ordination process for her own church.

I've heard from Solomae that my book was helpful to her at one stage of her growth. I completely disavow any connection to what's happened, since.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add . . . it was Solomae who contacted me sometime back about a link exchange. I posted reference to her site on this board and a number of people visited it, commented, and some even became involved with her ministry. When I checked a few weeks later to see if she had posted some kind of link to this site, I found nothing. I contacted them about it and was told that their Board had changed its policy as we prefer to maintain the purity of our teachings without connecting to other sites that we cannot predict or monitor their content. I thought that a rather odd link exchange policy, especially after she was the one who initiated the exchange. I wonder if it had anything to do with my critique of "Gospel of the Holy Twelve?" Roll Eyes

Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I read that article a while back and I agree with Shasha that Solomae did not encourage the woman's death.

Did you read her book, "The Narrow Path"? I do have a problem with her quoting from the Gospel of the Holy Twelve. IS there such a book?

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Did you take a look at the list of books at Rick Ross's website? Amway is a cult?!

http://www.rickross.com/refere...ks/reading_list.html

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the sections of the article that concern me:

quote:
Townsend said Mauer met Sananda through a yoga class and that Sananda encouraged her to join the Living Spirit Foundation.

Mauer's mother later died, and Mauer inherited an undisclosed sum of money. She left California with Stoycoff and Sananda on the day of her mother's funeral, which she did not attend, Townsend said.
Not attending your mother's funeral, but taking her money? Maybe there's something not being said here, but that doesn't seem right.

quote:
In a message posted on the Living Spirit Foundation's Internet discussion board April 7, Stoycoff wrote that Mauer was a critical part of the "ascension process" and that she suffered in this "mission." The discussion board has since been removed from the Web site.

Stoycoff described Mauer as the "gatekeeper" who "held the energy at the 'gates of hell' at bay so Christ could form the new Earth through His body." He also described the isolation of her last weeks of life.

"In the last month, it had become necessary for her to isolate herself from virtually everyone. This was a knowing that she had and, it seems I may have been the one exception. I visited with her about three weeks ago. That was the last time I saw her," he wrote.

"Because of her isolation, when the time came and her mission was complete, she drove to a public place last Friday morning (April 1), laid down and, with the assistance of a bevy of angels, went home to be with her True Love in the peace she so richly deserves. In the midst of my selfish sorrow of my missing her, I am overjoyed at her current circumstance."
Oh man, this is sick stuff! SICK! I cannot imagine any spiritual director telling someone they were holding the gates of hell at bay so Christ could build a new earth. Talk about pressure! And what is this necessity to isolate from everyone? What mission was she completing?

Then there's what Mauer's friend (Sullivan) said:

quote:
Sullivan said Mauer was always very excited when she spoke about Sananda. But Mauer told Sullivan that she believed she had "denser energies" surrounding herself and that it wasn't good for her to be physically near Sananda because of these dark energies, Sullivan said.
Good thing Jesus didn't feel that way about mixing it up with sinners.

quote:
"By the end of November, she was saying regularly, 'I'm in a dark night of the spirits,' " Sullivan said.

Sullivan said Mauer seemed all of sudden to cut everyone who knew her out of her life except the Stoycoffs. She said she last saw Mauer in January.

"She came up to my door to return a book, and I opened the door. She looked terrified and started backing away. I asked her to come in, but she ran backwards up the street like she was terrified of me.
Who knows what really happened to Mauer? We don't know, for example, whether she had some kind of pre-existing conditions that led up to what seems a nervous breakdown, or if this is simply another garden-variety example of the kind of loss of self that happens in cults. Being told by your spiritual leader that you have dense energies . . . stay away . . . and it's your job to keep the gates of hell at bay for Jesus' sake . . . You won't find this kind of stuff in the Christian mystical literature.

Of course, we have only this article to go on, and it would be good to hear LSF's side of the issue, which could be quite different. You won't find mention of it on their site, however, and with their discussion board now removed, it's impossible to evaluate some of the exchanges that went on there.

So, in the meantime, without clarification from them, and because of concerns I have about their theological and spiritual approach, I strongly discourage anyone from making use of their materials and guidance.

posted Hide Post
Phil,

I was a moderator on Solomae's discussion board a few years ago, and I witnessed many positive exchanges as their mission was to bring people out of the New Age spirituality and focus on kundalini and into following Chirst. And, as you know, my paper was posted on their site for a short while.

Owing to some of their recent outlandish positions, however, I had to make a complete break from them and would encourage others to be extremely cautious.

I have great compassion for Solomae and her family and do pray to our Lord that clarity and truth would prevail in their lives and teachings.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
"Stoycoff described Mauer as the "gatekeeper" who "held the energy at the 'gates of hell' at bay so Christ could form the new Earth through His body."

This is the kind of pathology that develops, or manifests, when people equate the soul with the Divine. But there wouldn't be much of an attraction to that kind of delusional grandiosity unless there was something seriously awry, at least psychologically, in the first place.

Come on you guys . . . . isn't it quite beyond the reach of common sense to give this a pass, even if she didn't have a thing in the world to do with that person's death?

posted Hide Post
You are right, w.c. This statement can't possibly 'pass' as acceptable in any way.

I am stunned and ashamed of myself that when I first read that, I was somehow able to see it, not as a literal truth, but as some kind of metaphor or something. In retrospect, it all sounds completely crazy.

<w.c.>
posted
Shasha:

As fallen as we are, it's good to be a creature and let God be God, no? Madness prevails otherwise.