The Kundalini Process: A Christian Understanding
by Philip St. Romain
Paperback and digital editions; free sample

Kundalini Energy and Christian Spirituality
- by Philip St. Romain
Paperback and digital editions

ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Kundalini Issues and Spiritual Emergencies    Kundalini or third Eye awakening? Some help please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kundalini or third Eye awakening? Some help please. Login/Join

posted
Hi

A few years ago I was treated for burnout. It involved joining a group of IT burnout people for a month retreat. I was under the impression at that time that this was going to a period of reflection and be introduced to coping and recovery strategies. However it turned out to be something else which made a big difference in my life.

The so called treatment was quite something. It consisted of Kundalini Yoga in the morning and late afternoon, afterwards followed by workshops in craftwork whereby you create artworks and clay sculptures. There were also discussion with people and we learned to let go. In the evening just after dinner we then practiced a meditation period under a Sufi master, practicing opening and softening our hearts. This was then followed by reading some books such as that written by Almaas in a small group and afterwards you were then ask to describe how you interpreted this reading based upon you life experience. During that period our food that we were provided was strictly vegetarian and we also shared task such as the cleaning of the house, but we also participated in the kitchen with cooking these dishes with a very accomplished chef.

The result of this retreat for me was a opening of the mind and the heart, but also a learned the value of meditation. All my life I have been seeking a close relation with God and this experience re kindled that a lot. I then followed it up 2 weeks later by joining a Vipassana Meditation retreat for 12 days.

During the Vipassana Retreat it was really hard to quite the mind and I wanted to give up many times, however I persisted. During the 6 Day, very early in the morning, I was outside and I experienced total bliss, a total surreal awareness of my surrounding and a very powerful awareness of God and love.

Since then I have been affected by it in many ways, I had sudden unexplained muscle twinges, seeing stuff. all of this scaring the living daylights of me. I do not know what has happened to me, only years later I learned about Kundalini and the Third Eye awakening, which I suspected has happened to me. I have since that period done my best to oppress whichever way I could, but usually with disastrous results. I did not know how to cope with this, although I kept the meditation practice up for a while.

Recently I burned out again, being very depressed and not knowing what to do,so I did accidently came acoss the book by Philip St. Romain, JJ Semple and Gopi Krishna. A lot of things made suddenly sense to me. I got motivated to start with Pranyama breathing, meditation and Kundalini Yoga again.

However when I approached my minister with this, I was told not read Kundalini material and that I should stop with my meditations and
that I should distance myself from Kundalini. I got told that this was Occult matter and that this is very dangerous.

So I am confused. I have prayed for clarity on this to Jesus Christ, but I am not sure what to do. My mind and hearts is a conflict right now and I really do not want to offend my Lord or commit the serious sin of dabbling with occultism according to my minister.

Do you have any advice or what I am to do? Is it really dangerous?

I would appreciate more clarity on this.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi JoeK,

Welcome!

Please don't allow yourself to fall prey to fears about kundalini. Lots of Christian ministers simply don't understand it and confuse it with occult matter, when in truth, it's simply a natural, spiritual evolutionary process. Which isn't to say it won't be difficult at times, but if you let go and accept the process, let Christ and His Spirit guide it, it can bring about great healing and transformation. Jesus loves us kundalini Christians. The Father cherishes us. Phil's book is very helpful and places the experience in an enlightened Christian context. Follow your heart, follow Jesus and you won't go wrong. And the fact of the matter is, you can't distance yourself from kundalini once it's active, no more than you can distance yourself from childhood or puberty or an other experience of growth.

I had a burnout awakening too, and my background was evangelical, so I can relate a little to your experience and fears. Do a little meditation, prayer, gentle grounding exercise. Walk in nature, and enjoy your environment. You will be fine. Don't listen to the fear mongers.

Stay in touch and all the very best.

Peace.

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, Joe.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Very interesting to hear about your retreat, and how it was structured. I'm sure those who did so thought it was "just-spiritual" with no religious orientation, but when you practice kundalini yoga and enlist the instruction of a Sufi master, that says something. Vipassana is also a practice that will open the higher chakras, which is not a bad thing if some kind of ongoing meditation is practiced and integration is ongoing.

Stephean (aka samson) has given you some good counsel. As it sounds like you've awakened the kundalini process, the important thing is ongoing integration. Moral living, a simple lifestyle, moderate exercise, and good, nutritious food can help. Taking time for prayer and meditation is also essential. Turn it all over to the care of Christ, be gentle with yourself. Resisting the process probably does more harm than good, as it reinforces Egoic willfulness. The Ego has to learn to surrender and cooperate with the Spirit.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi JoeK
yep - you had a kundalini awakening. I have noticed in my work as a kundalini therapist that men particularly are more scared of the phenomena than women - maybe because we women are more used for 'weird stuff' to happen in our minds and bodies.

Please do not do any pranayama as this may seriously aggravate you.

As for kundalini being 'occult' - that is nonsense. Occult means 'secret' and refers for practices around magic. Kundalini makes you more powerful and therefore more able to do occult practices but that does not mean that kundalini is something occult. It is an awakening not dissimilar to puberty and cannot reversed once it has happened, just like you can not reverse or repress puberty.

So, the advice to stay away from kundalini does not make sense as it will be with you until the end of your life.

Many great Catholic saints had awakened kundalini, particular all those who could work miracles as all supernatural powers are due to kundalini. Even though there are no descriptions in Catholicism to that end, this is how it works.

In my work I have seen it many times that people with kundalini try to talk to those without kundalini, only to end up confused and hurt. My advice would be to talk to someone like Phil or if you possible can, a minister who has awakened kundalini. I know that will be hard to find. Sorry, to not be more helpful.

Tara - find more help for kundalini problems on my website taraspringett.com/kundalini/kundalini-syndrome

Posts: 262 | Location: UK | Registered: 03 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bliss in the Heart. I have had a number of clients who awakened their kundalini on Vipassans (-style) retreats.

The kundalini does not care which practice you do - an awakening is due to the intensity of your desire to wake up and change yourself. If this desire is strong enough - boom - the kundalini wakes up because in essence the kundalini IS the desire to grow spiritually.

That is why you find kundalini in a all religious contexts - even though Christianity, for example, has no conceptual context for these phenomena.

Tara - find more help for kundalini problems on my website taraspringett.com/kundalini/kundalini-syndrome

Posts: 262 | Location: UK | Registered: 03 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post