Find
Notify
Tools

From False Gods to Christ Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dear Ajoy,

-----------------------------------------
Isn't using the name of Jesus as a mantra calling
upon forces, an entity of Jesus to live within oneself?

------------------------------------------

Mantra repetition amounts to explicitly inviting the energies or entities to which those mantras refer to influence you in some way, visit, or control you.

You are right, calling on Jesus or the Holy Spirit does the same thing. Jesus replaced himself with the Holy Spirit. This Spirit sustains the Body of Christ and works on transforming all those who are baptized into greater and greater likenesses of Christ Himself.

However, unlike mantras referring to Eastern gods/goddesses, the Holy Spirit is HOLY and all other energies and deities are not, imo. While other gods/ goddesses do deliver supernatural powers, expanded states of consciousness, and other signs and wonders, they do not bring about a divine transformation. (There is a qualitative, mystical difference, not a simple supernatural vs. physical dichotomy as spiritual experience can feel holy.)

I base this on my involvment with mantras, gods/goddesses of the Eastern path and also on what the other authors I've listed above have reported following their extensive experience.

----------------------------------------------
This seems to be the crux of my confusion about a personal relationship with Jesus. And i see now that this is the reason i came to the list.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but perhaps you've cleared up the question for yourself by now. Sorry about the long delay in responding.

much peace to you,

shasha

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Rachel,

I like Phil's response about understanding the synthesis between zen and Christianity.

In fact, I'm learning that zen meditation is being used to help those diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder to cope with overwhelming affect. It seems to help people who have few internal resources for self-soothing and are prone to acting out.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Shasha and Phil:

Ah, yes, thanks for the feedback. I have not experienced what you experienced within Eastern Religions. However there has been a great deal of confusion having a Christian mentor with and Eastern religious background. I realize this may sound very strange but what you are raising has been helpful for me when it comes to Christian Churches. It sounds like you met someone from another religion that caused harm. Sent you down the wrong path. My experience was within Christianity. And so for me now this seems part of the human condition and occurs in all religions.

I received a little pamphlet today on Centering Prayer. I hadn't read their literature
in some time and it was very interesting to read and may offer
something to this discussion. Father Keating is saying
something rather interesting. Paraphrased: Contemplative Prayer
a pure gift of God "It is the opening of mind, and heart - our whole
being - to God, the Ultimate Mystery, beyond thoughts, words, and
emotions". Paraphrased: It is also a relationship with G*d. "It is a
movement beyond conversation with Christ to communion with Him".

This suggests to me a relationship with YHWH beyond the dualistic/non-dual experience. Because there is still someone experiencing the experience in non-dual and dualism.

Sometimes in prayer i lose time. When awareness returns it is often very loving but can also be non dual. I've felt this is the love of YHWH.

Phil, i know someone who would lose time during Contemplative Prayer and return gasping for air. Is this anything you have an understanding of?
Or have your experienced these types of experiences within your journey?

Thanks
Ajoy

Posts: 135 | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ajoy, I think I know what people are talking about when they refer to non-dual experiences. I have known times of deep unity and un-self-consciousness and am grateful for these glimpses of what is to come. Yet it does seem that we are also destined to live in duality -- metaphysical duality, that is -- and that's not a bad thing, either. Smiler

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil:

I am finally getting a picture of what is considered dual and non-dual. I am inclined to agree with you,
at this point, that we live in both duality and non-duality.

I have also seen this
with Eastern Enlightenment. They have the ability to enter the non-dual state at will, as you do. It is simply too difficult to live life in that state all the time in this modern world.

Ajoy

posted Hide Post
Dear Ajoy,

you wrote:
----------------------------
...that we live in both duality and non-duality.

I have also seen this
with Eastern Enlightenment. They have the ability to enter the non-dual state at will, as you do. It is simply too difficult to live life in that state all the time in this modern world.
-----------------------------

Yes, we have the ability...and with that *free will*. We have the free will choice to operate in various states of consciousness. Some of us must, at times, consider surrender to God's Will instead of our own, not because it's difficult to live in non-duality in a modern world, but for the sake of being obedience in following Christ.

posted Hide Post
Shasha, what is your understanding of the fact that eastern religions have had the spiritual insight and sensitivity to encounter, understand, document and guide people along the path of kundalini awakening? Neither Judaism, Islam or Christianity can say the same. What does this mean for the religious/philosophical systems in which this took place. I agree, that Jesus Christ in God and that there is no other and that Eastern religions can be terrible "traps" that ensnare those who do not know better. But what about the aspects of those religions that seem to be on the button, so to speak, with spiritual, philosophical, metaphysical and psychological insights that are completely congruent with Christianity?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<HeartPrayer>
posted
Might this, perchance, tell us something about the nature of Truth?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jacques,

Shasha, what is your understanding of the fact that eastern religions have had the spiritual insight and sensitivity to encounter, understand, document and guide people along the path of kundalini awakening?

Kundalini ascension alone/ non-dual awareness does not a holy person make. What's worse, it doesn't make all of one's problems go away! In many cases, it appears to greatly compound one's problems (e.g., functioning in the world, temptations for super-powers/ siddhis, the ethics of manipulating other's energy, etc.).

------------------------------
...What does this mean for the religious/philosophical systems in which this took place.
------------------------------------

I don't know. This is a mysterious thing to me too.

---------------------------------------
But what about the aspects of those religions that seem to be on the button, so to speak, with spiritual, philosophical, metaphysical and psychological insights that are completely congruent with Christianity?
------------------------------------------

It's not the congruent aspects underlying most world religions that is under consideration, imo, it's the ones which are *incongruent* with Christ.

posted Hide Post
Hello Phil, Shasha, and group:

Is there an Eastern term, other than Enlightenment when energy comes back down into a union within the heart after reaching the crown. It does not seem to be the same as Kundalini energy. Anyway, this is what i have been referring to as Enlightenment and non-dual.
Sorry for my use of Eastern terms so incorrectly.

I have seen what you are talking about Shasha. Now i can relate to what you are saying. If that
is considered Enlightenment than i agree with what you have been saying. Although there does seem to be another step for at least some in Eastern Religions of living from the heart.

Thanks
Ajoy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shasha:

"Kundalini ascension alone/ non-dual awareness does not a holy person make. What's worse, it doesn't make all of one's problems go away! In many cases, it appears to greatly compound one's problems (e.g., functioning in the world, temptations for super-powers/ siddhis, the ethics of manipulating other's energy, etc.). "

posted Hide Post
Just to remind you, dear group, that we have another whole forum devoted to kundalini issues, wherein we've already done a lot of reflecting on its similarities and differences with the Christian understanding of the Holy Spirit.

For sure, all religions are working with the same human nature and its various energy systems. The reason there are different religions has more to do with different approaches to the divine. This is why they don't all end up being mere cultural variants of the same thing, as many would have it.

----

Ajoy, what you describe in terms of energy is difficult to assess, as you haven't said much about how your experience has influenced your sense of God, how you understand Christ to be present, etc. Christian mystics experience non-dual states similar to what Easterners describe, but never consider it to be revelatory of some innate divinity. Being "lost in God" so that "the soul doesn't know if it is God or God is the soul (St. John of the Cross)" is not uncommon among Christian contemplatives. Maybe a Buddhist would call this and enlightenment experience, but there is a sense of relationalality described by Christians (also Jews and Muslims) that is missing in certain Eastern approaches.

What you describe sounds very good, however. Smiler Do you have a spiritual director to help you understand and integrate the experience?

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Phil,

There are bhaki(love)yogas / traditions that worship the divine in relational ways and have no problem moving between enlightenment, in which they become completely one with the Goddess, for instance, AND recognize her as GOD and experience themselves as one with God through enlightenment.

These folks will argue that their mystical union with God (non-dual awareness) AND their love relationship with the divine co-exist, and will argue that Christ is just another name for kundalini shaki or Krishna or the Feminie Divine.

I don't deny that they are *in relationship* with a supernatural energy...in fact, I experienced this merger myself when I was initiated into a powerful Kali worship tradition. Here they equate kundalini exactly with the Goddess Kali and this is GOD and you too can become one with God/Goddess if you invite her to live inside you. They emphasize that kundalini is the same as the Holy Spirit, Chi, etc. and deny the unique mission of Christ.

This part of the discussion seems appropriate on this thread because my point is that worshiping gods/goddesses, even as the energy of kundalini, is a false god.

Why? because Christ and the Holy Spirit is not kundalini or the dieties associated with kundalini energy. Nor is Christ the goddess Kali; nor is He Shiva or Shakti...His name is not Krishna...it's more than the names of God that are different--it's the source to which the names refer.

Sorry if I'm being redundant here...I know I've said this dozens of times...

Red Face

posted Hide Post
I hear you, Shasha. The "structure" of the experience is the same, but the relational partner different. I wasn't meaning to say that only the "western" religions describe a relational union; only providing general feedback to Ajoy in response to her inquiry. Overall, I'm in complete agreement with the distinctions you're making.

posted Hide Post
So...forgive my confusion, but where does that leave the interfaith dialogue. Is the seemingly rare (by the way you guys seem to be suggesting) case of implicit faith the only time there is any good in non-christian religion...and hence not the religion itself but simply implict faith. I don't really have a major problem with that, but i just thought that perhaps the picture was bigger than that. But now it seems that Christ is never being unknowingly refered to in non-Christian religion, where before i thought maybe they were referring to Christ and not knowing it. Like the Samaritin woman by the well, Jesus doesn't really tell her that she is worshiping a false god (even though she was as far from the doctrinal truth as say a modern day mormon or jehovah's witness. Instead he simply tells her that she worships what she doesn't know. I took that to mean she was worshiping the true God, but was simply mistaken about some things. It just seems to me that following the model of Christ vs. the false gods that she was worshiping a false god if she was not worshiping God in the Jewish fashion. But then why does Jesus not directly confront that fact and tell her not that she worship what she does not know, but that she worships a demon or satan?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points, Jacques. As you know from previous discussions, I'm an "inclusivist" rather than exclusivist or pluralist when it comes to the issue of Christ's presence in other religions. My post above was intended to express agreement with Shasha's distinctions re. kundalini/Holy Spirit, goddess/Christ, etc.

That said, I do believe God is present and acting in other world religions, and doing so in and through the Person of Christ. He is the reality they seek, and no one can really judge the extent to which others actually encounter him, even if they are using the wrong names, rituals, etc. He alone knows the human heart and whether its intent is for what he has to give, or for some other counterfeit. My theology does not see him legalistically writing someone off because they use the wrong name for God.

One way we can tell for sure if others are encountering Christ/Spirit is by looking for the fruits of the Spirit in their lives (Gal. 5: 22-23). Truth be told, we do see "love, joy, peace, patience, etc." manifest in other religions, and very sincerely and authentically so. Therefore, the Spirit must be at work there through the dynamic we've referred to in other discussions as "implicit faith." As we've been over all this several times through the years, I'll encourage anyone who wants to read up more on it to to a search on the forum for "implicit faith"

posted Hide Post
Dear Jacques, A few posts up on this thread, I bring up the scripture referring to the Samaritan woman...

I totally agree with Phil on the point that nobody can "really judge the extent to which others actually encouter him [Christ], even if they are using the wrong names, rituals, etc...my theology does not see him legalistically writing someone off because they use the wrong name for God."

Most of us would simply not RESPECT a God who did not honor the impulse to love one another and worship their Maker--in whatever form. It just wouldn't add up, imo. This is why I adamently resisted the notion of their being just one true God who was expressed equally in all good religions.

However, the issue is more complicated than that as there is also an explicit truth out there. Hence, my reference to the scripture re: the Samaritan woman.

<HeartPrayer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
As you know from previous discussions, I'm an "inclusivist" rather than exclusivist or pluralist when it comes to the issue of Christ's presence in other religions...

...I do believe God is present and acting in other world religions, and doing so in and through the Person of Christ... He alone knows the human heart and whether its intent is for what he has to give...

One way we can tell for sure if others are encountering Christ/Spirit is by looking for the fruits of the Spirit in their lives...
Those are very deep points in a fascinating discussion. I wholeheartedly agree! And in this respect the Church (i.e. Spiritual Body of Christ) comprises more that what is given us to see.

Your point also addresses the whole Relativism school of thought that characterises much of the New Age movement. To my extreme distaste!

Truly, it is by the Yes or No of our hearts that we define membership in this Church -- a Church that supersedes (transcends) all institutional churches as we know them.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, HP. One can affirm the reality of the mystical body of Christ extending beyond explicit manifestations of Church just as one can affirm the reality of a hidden, implicit faith in Christ at work in the other world religions (and non-religious people as well).

That said, there is "explicit truth," as Shasha noted, and it is far better to have explicit faith than implicit faith, for one can then consciously and willingly give oneself over to Christ and the formation of the Spirit. Same goes for the Church; it is far more conducive to one's growth in Christ to be a member of a Christian community than to settle for "implicit Church" membership. That all needs to be affirmed whenever discussion of inclusivism and baptism of desire (implicit faith) is discussed. Otherwise, it makes little sense to acknowledge the visible manifestation of God as incarnate in Jesus; God might as well have done everything in a hidden kind of way.

posted Hide Post
Hello Phil:

quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb]

For sure, all religions are working with the same human nature and its various energy systems. The reason there are different religions has more to do with different approaches to the divine. This is why they don't all end up being mere cultural variants of the same thing, as many would have it.

----
Yes, this is my understanding. Having met people from other religions that are living from the Fruits of the Spirit, to use Christian termonlogy.

++++++

Ajoy, what you describe in terms of energy is difficult to assess, as you haven't said much about how your experience has influenced your sense of God, how you understand Christ to be present, etc. Christian mystics experience non-dual states similar to what Easterners describe, but never consider it to be revelatory of some innate divinity. Being "lost in God" so that "the soul doesn't know if it is God or God is the soul (St. John of the Cross)" is not uncommon among Christian contemplatives. Maybe a Buddhist would call this and enlightenment experience, but there is a sense of relationalality described by Christians (also Jews and Muslims) that is missing in certain Eastern approaches.

What you describe sounds very good, however. Smiler Do you have a spiritual director to help you understand and integrate the experience? [/qb]
++++++
Phil, no i am not working with a spiritual
director presently. I have given some consideration to expressing more about my relationship with YHWH, but it doesn't feel
right to share this depth of intimacy on open forum. However, upon reflection of your question
has brought a deeper understanding for me. Smiler So thank you.

Ajoy

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
[qb] Dear freinds,

As many of you know, I am writing about my conversion from the Eastern path to Christ. I would like to incorporate similar testimony from those who have been on variuos "New Age" paths into some of my discussion. Does anybody know of publications along this line other than the four books I've listed below?
shasha [/qb]
Hi Shasha, I enjoyed reading your insights in this thread, there is a genuine love for Jesus that comes through in your comments that really blessed me.

Another author that has come from the new age to loving Jesus as his God is Doug Addison, in his book "Prophetic Evangelism" he shares his testimony. Doug considers himself an evangelist to the New Age movement, his background is Pentecostal and Charismatic, and he has been given an authentic prophetic gift from Jesus. Here is his website: www.dougaddison.com

Blessings in Jesus Name,

Caneman

Posts: 99 | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Caneman, for pointing me to Addison.

I glanced at his site and noticed he was completely healed of Huntington's Disease by God through Todd Bentley. I just now arrived home from a church prayer gathering where we spent one hour listening to one of Todd's sharings...quite amazing what God is doing in that young man! I enjoy Todd so much, I actually show clips of Todd's testimonies of encountering Jesus to my Counseling grad students.

I am eager to get Addison's book...thanks for the tip!

much peace to you,
Shasha

posted Hide Post
Dear Shasha,

Me too I like your loving posts. It has been a long time, I notice, since someone put a message here. I hav been writing at other threads. Here I want to share that I have been in contact a long time ago with an occultist. he was a medium, working with so-called ascended masters, one of which was a certain 'Jesus' and other ones on this site:
http://www.greatdreams.com/mas...ascended-masters.htm
(St. Germain is very obviously not our Phil!)
For about one year I went through discussions with this guy about this 'Jesus', who according to him, could of course not be the one crucified and resurrected!
Everything that happened was on the other hand very alluring and seducing (chakra's, meditation, rays of light and all the rest) and I guess I came unconsciously under the influence of the work of evil spirits. But I kept on witnessing of the true Jesus Christ!
One time, I went with him to a seance and Isaiah was supposed to speak through this woman medium. At the end of the 'game' (but not an innocent game!) I asked this 'Isaiah' to tell me something about Isaiah 53, a prophecy concerning the suffering Christ. And immediately the game was over! No Isaiah anymore, nothing at all.
I won't forget this...
An acquaintance of mine, a woman from the Netherlands Martie Dieperink (who does a lot for the oecumenical movement)had been an adept of Sri Aurobino before. When she converted to Christ years ago, she wrote a lot about her experiences (f.e. http://www.paranormal-ministry...he%20paranormal.doc). She is a pentecostal and a bit conservative (against yoga, not speaking of modern psychology...)but I remember she wrote me that in the room where Aurobino died, she felt such an overwhelming, heavy peace, but not a living peace but a dead peace! After all these years, she still has serious headaches, which she attributes to evil spirits (although I don't know whether she is right in thinking this...)
So far some thoughts, Shasha a.o.

PAX
Fred

Posts: 175 | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Fred, thanks for your kind words. Smiler

Not surprising to hear of yet another false Jesus. The false Isaiah is a new
one for me, Eeker but there's a lot of wild deception going on in the
supernatural world.

IThat second link that you provide above doesn't work. I am still collecting stories of people who've converted to Christ after heavy involvment in the New Age or occult, so thank you for pointing out Ms. Dieperink.

I do hear a lot of talk about evil spirits causing all kinds of illnesses. On the surface, much of it sounds far-fetched. However, once in a while, I literally watch someone get set free of some ailment immediately in response to healing prayer and it's pretty amazing! Can't really say if this woman is right in attributing her headaches to evil spirits. I'd have to hear more about her experiences and reasoning.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey w.c.,

I see that you deleted a post you had here some days ago. I hope you don't mind that I respond to the piece that I remember of your discussion. Your comments were very interesting, and I had been wanting to take some time to respond to them carefully.

The point about our psychology being largely under-developed is excellent. While in Mass last Sunday, I got the picture/idea that our psychologies are far, far behind our spiritual development, that somehow our souls develop much more quickly than our personalities can sustain.

Given the pretty aweful experiences I had with various gurus, (and I've not shared a fraction of it!) I do see that I may be vulnerable to reacting with some personal, unresolved bias against the New Age movement and charging "them" who are all wrong as against "us" who are all right. However, as there's been much healing since those deadly experiences, and I read over my thread, I tend to agree with myself even today. Smiler

I never blamed others for my choices, so I didn't ever externalize my issues onto the New Age movement as some defense against self-analysis or self-criticism. Not that you were suggesting that, I don't think, but wanting to clarify about the fuel behind my launching this thread.

I appreciate your comments. Don't worry about offending me. I can handle your questions, and I know they're coming from a thoughtful place. Smiler

Just as I'm sure you can handle my giving you a hard time about Mercury in retrograde! C'mon, w.c. You mean you haven't yet burned those silly books! Wink Calling astrology a science...! Sheesh. We gotta talk..I'll meet you over there when I get some time.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 175 | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post