Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Transformative Experiences    Saved by God: My Experience with Alcoholism/Addiction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saved by God: My Experience with Alcoholism/Addiction Login/Join

A.A. fellow
posted
Hi all,

I just felt like sharing this information with you.
I´m an alcoholic in recovery, I also attend A.A. meetings. The first step of the twelve steps says that I´m powerless over alcohol and that my live has become unmanageable. The second steps teaches that a higher power can restore me to sanity.

On June 12th 2015 I was at my wits´ end concerning trying to quit both alcoholism and my marijuana addiction. I just couldn´t do it anymore but I could not quit through the apllication of willpower.
I sat on my bed and I prayed to God to take this burden from me. At the moment I ended this prayer I somehow knew that it has happed, God had removed this burden from my shoulder. It was weird, it was obvious and needed no confirmation from an external source. I sat there in disbelief.

I went to bed without any withdrawal symptoms or cravings and slept very well. I´ve been sober for 2.5 years now and not once did I have any cravings again. Of course I cannot or want to test myself wether I can moderate my drinking which would be foolish. I also go to A.A. meetings on a regular basis and work the twelve steps.

I never called myself a Christian or theist, I had no religious upbringing or some sort of history in that respect.
Although A.A. is not a religious organization this experience set me on a path to explore Christianity. I´m a curious beginner.

Regards
S

(edited for spelling)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sven,

Posts: 3 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 April 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hi Sven, and thanks for sharing your experience, which reminds me somewhat of Bill W's, founder of AA.

What you describe is a miraculous healing, given the nature of addiction and the struggle with cravings and relapse. Praise God!

God is good and seems willing to respond to a humble and open prayer, such as you expressed. I'm glad to hear that you're continuing with AA and working the Steps. I've written a couple of books on the Twelve Steps and Christianity that you might find helpful. See the link below.
- http://shalomplace.com/psrbks.html

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Peace, Phil

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A.A. fellow
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil,

thank you for your reply!
I already read your book on kundalini. I liked it alot, so thanks for that little gem of a book ;-)
I also just bought your book on the twelve steps, God and I and Discerning God s will. They are really affordable as the amazon kindle edition.

Should you know other books that are recommendable please don t hesitate to mention them.

Shalom
Sven

Posts: 3 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 April 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thanks much, Sven. I hope you enjoy the books.

Seems like you've got a good enough stockpile for now. The God and I book, in particular, links to lots of other good ones, so see what calls to you.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post