Shalom Place Community
Saved by God: My Experience with Alcoholism/Addiction

This topic can be found at:
https://shalomplace.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/19110765/m/6454027148

04 December 2017, 07:31 AM
Sven
Saved by God: My Experience with Alcoholism/Addiction
Hi all,

I just felt like sharing this information with you.
I´m an alcoholic in recovery, I also attend A.A. meetings. The first step of the twelve steps says that I´m powerless over alcohol and that my live has become unmanageable. The second steps teaches that a higher power can restore me to sanity.

On June 12th 2015 I was at my wits´ end concerning trying to quit both alcoholism and my marijuana addiction. I just couldn´t do it anymore but I could not quit through the apllication of willpower.
I sat on my bed and I prayed to God to take this burden from me. At the moment I ended this prayer I somehow knew that it has happed, God had removed this burden from my shoulder. It was weird, it was obvious and needed no confirmation from an external source. I sat there in disbelief.

I went to bed without any withdrawal symptoms or cravings and slept very well. I´ve been sober for 2.5 years now and not once did I have any cravings again. Of course I cannot or want to test myself wether I can moderate my drinking which would be foolish. I also go to A.A. meetings on a regular basis and work the twelve steps.

I never called myself a Christian or theist, I had no religious upbringing or some sort of history in that respect.
Although A.A. is not a religious organization this experience set me on a path to explore Christianity. I´m a curious beginner.

Regards
S

(edited for spelling)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sven,
04 December 2017, 02:26 PM
Phil
Hi Sven, and thanks for sharing your experience, which reminds me somewhat of Bill W's, founder of AA.

What you describe is a miraculous healing, given the nature of addiction and the struggle with cravings and relapse. Praise God!

God is good and seems willing to respond to a humble and open prayer, such as you expressed. I'm glad to hear that you're continuing with AA and working the Steps. I've written a couple of books on the Twelve Steps and Christianity that you might find helpful. See the link below.
- http://shalomplace.com/psrbks.html

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Peace, Phil
07 December 2017, 03:53 AM
Sven
Hi Phil,

thank you for your reply!
I already read your book on kundalini. I liked it alot, so thanks for that little gem of a book ;-)
I also just bought your book on the twelve steps, God and I and Discerning God s will. They are really affordable as the amazon kindle edition.

Should you know other books that are recommendable please don t hesitate to mention them.

Shalom
Sven
07 December 2017, 08:42 PM
Phil
Thanks much, Sven. I hope you enjoy the books.

Seems like you've got a good enough stockpile for now. The God and I book, in particular, links to lots of other good ones, so see what calls to you.