Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Charismatic and Contemplative: What Would St. John of the Cross Say?

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charismatic and Contemplative: What Would St. John of the Cross Say? Login/Join 
posted
Here's a paper by Ralph Martin, my first teacher of the Carmelite Saints. I thought some of you might enjoy his teaching on this subject.

http://www.renewalministries.n...ature/Char_Cont..pdf

He addresses what he sees as a "wide-spread impression that the contemplative and the charismatic are contradictory, not complementary..."

Ralph corrects misunderstandings he's gathered from comments like:

"I used to be charismatic but now I've gone on to the contemplative" and

"I much prefer the quiet of contemplative prayer and could never be a charismatic" and

"How could you encourage the expression of charismatic gifts? Don't you realize what John of the Cross says about these kinds of spiritual experiences?"

Thanks, Ralph!

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Yes, good paper by Ralph Martin. If you know him, give him my regards, though I suspect he'd be one who'd think I'd fallen off the deep end with kundalini and has probably written me off because of my book. I hope I'm wrong about that, however.

It's true that JOC did not condemn charismatic gifts; what he discouraged was the seeking after consolations, however, which charismatics are sometimes prone to do (also Marianists and many others).

Posts: 3957 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post