Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    What is the meaning of "washed in the blood of the Lamb"?

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the meaning of "washed in the blood of the Lamb"? Login/Join 
posted
As Easter approaches, here is a link to three articles reflecting on the Eucharist from surgeon Dr. Paul Brand. These aren't descriptions of crucifixion; rather Dr. Brand talks about the cleansing and life-giving properties of blood, and in the third article describes the first time he saw a blood transfusion restore someone to life.

The articles are very easy to read and beautifully written, in my opinion, but they are rather long. The parts about the meaning of the Eucharist probably are not new to Catholics, but as a Protestant I found them illuminating. I've found them worth reading slowly as devotional reading several times over the past year.

http://www.christianitytoday.c...b-only/7-7-41.0.html

The first link goes to Dr. Brand's obituary; the articles are on the second page.

Posts: 578 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is from the first article, "Blood, Part 1: The Miracle of Cleansing":

"It (the Eucharist) is taken personally, into the interior of every member of his body. In other words, the same living blood that bathes each cell with the nutrients of life also carries away the accumulated waste and refuse. By his blood we are forgiven, made clean."

From "Blood, Part 2", at the end of which a theologian links the Last Supper to the miracle at Cana:

"Eucharist is, if you will, a toast, to the Life that conquered even death and that is now offered freely to each of us."

Posts: 578 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post