Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No intuition, no metaphysician. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks, w.c. , that's flat-out amazing, especially the nonlocal effects! (not to mention the physiological undergirding of gender differences in intuition).

The past couple of days I have been meditating on metaphilosophical issues re: epistemic virtue and moral virtue, mostly how and when it is they overlap. My preliminary conclusion has been that, although we draw many distinctions in the many ways we have of using/acquiring, to use Kant's terms, pure reason/knowledge and practical reason/knowledge, the threshold where these capacities overlap is not at all tidy, not physiologically, not phenomenologically, not nothing. I cannot think of an easy way to voice my intuition here but Love can build a bridge between the heart and mind captures it fairly well.

Merci beau coups,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
My goodness, Johnboy. Such intellectualism. I didn't read all the posts, much less try to understand them, but here is my two cents worth.
concerning knowledge and intuition.

There are two kinds of knowledge.. the knowledge that comes from learning, observation, experience, etc. Then there is knowledge with a capital K, the Knowledge that comes from God..the Holy Spirit, or what we call Wisdom. I think that intellectualism, reasoning, "figuring" all comes from our "natural" selves...It's all "mind stuff". But true Knowledge and Wisdom comes from on high. So, we have to be quiet sometimes and tell our minds to hush up and listen to God.

And I think that God uses our intuitive faculties to get thru to us.

As I said, my two cents worth.

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I said, my two cents worth.

I think you undercharged, Katy. Smiler That was pretty good.

There are two kinds of knowledge.. the knowledge that comes from learning, observation, experience, etc. Then there is knowledge with a capital K, the Knowledge that comes from God..the Holy Spirit, or what we call Wisdom.

There seems to be a knowledge that we garner, synthesize or produce when we consciously massage the numerous facts that enter our minds. But whether we call it intuition, creativity or God, there does indeed seem to be a knowledge that we can not always claim credit for. Perhaps some of this knowledge streams from the unconscious but I'm not sure all of it does.

My goodness, Johnboy. Such intellectualism.

Aha! I just knew he was guilty of some "ism" or another.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making me smile today, Brad.

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making me smile today, Brad.

You�re quite welcome, Katy. Granted, JB gives me a lot of material with which to work, so I wouldn�t call it much of a challenge, but it�s always nice to receive some appreciation. And therefore a big �thank you� also to JB for him just being him. No, no�that wasn�t a joke. It was sincere. Okay, okay. I admit it.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post