Notify
Tools

Spiritual Suffering for others Login/Join 
posted
n

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BlissInTheHeart,

Posts: 130 | Registered: 08 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience was not exactly like that, but close enough so that I can understand what you are talking about. I would say mine would be better described as being in the realm of spiritual sacrifices. I am not able to speak of the circumstances, but this experience began to open up my understanding to the meaning of sacrifice for the individual believer.

Here I am not speaking of self-willed sacrifice, but of Spirit led sacrfice, in and through Christ. I think one who speaks of these things can be easily misunderstood, and of course the dangers of messianic overtones and complexes are always present. However, I do believe that the call to suffer for another (or a group of people) in the Spirit of Christ is a great honor, perhaps the greatest honor, that God can bestow on a man or woman.

If I may say one more thing, though. In such sacrifices, there is always a cost, or else it is not a sacrifice. It changes you and the person or persons you were allowed by God to love. Things do not remain the same. And also there is no praise of men, no back patting, no one to see, no one to care. The servant is not greater than his Master. Christ died alone. Only a handful cared; others hated him; but I suspect most were just indifferent.

This is the crucified one who we follow. His sacrifice was perfect, once for all; ours is always imperfect and weak through the fall. And yet, by the love of God infused into the heart through Christ, the weak and imperfect are transformed. The base metal becomes pure gold, because we loved. And we loved because God honored us to do so.

God mercifully opens these things slowly due to the ever present dangers of truth carnally received, but I see it as a calling and a good thing.

Posts: 23 | Location: U.S. | Registered: 30 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Somehow I had missed this thread, but I have been on the road much lately and having a hard time keeping up.

Bliss, I think of an old custom called "sin eating," whereby one is given a share of another's struggle to lighten their load. This dynamic could very well be at the heart of Christ's redemptive suffering and death. I think of how Paul states that he "became sin" for us -- through empathic love was inflicted with our disease, thereby effecting a depth of union from which his divine life could become an infusion into humanity.

I don't go around asking for this, and don't especially want it, but there are times when I ask God to use me in this manner, provided I can still do my daily duties effectively. Maybe some are actually called to this kind of ministry?

Stranger, yes, there must be a cost in any sacrifice, and the most effective seem to be borne in hiddenness. I believe we are very close to God during such times, but we usually do not see this except in retrospect.

Posts: 3949 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't go around asking for this, and don't especially want it, but there are times when I ask God to use me in this manner, provided I can still do my daily duties effectively. Maybe some are actually called to this kind of ministry?

Stranger, yes, there must be a cost in any sacrifice, and the most effective seem to be borne in hiddenness. I believe we are very close to God during such times, but we usually do not see this except in retrospect.

beautifully said Phil...

as for called.. i suspect that if the heart is truly turned to God.. it simply happens.( as it is inherent within all of us. i think we were originally designed this way by the hand of God we were built for love. ... our deep inner connection with one another and our life directed toward God, yet distinct individuals however vastly more sensitive toward each other in ways we are not after the fall of man With the widening of the heart , by grace this is restored.. all His grace.

Posts: 281 | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good words, Phil, Faustina. It's a deep subject and perhaps as varied as the types of sacrifices detailed in the old testament. Christ brought them all in Himself, we bring what we have according to the grace given to each of us.

Posts: 23 | Location: U.S. | Registered: 30 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post