New
Find
Notify
Tools
Bernadette Roberts responds to Jim Arraj Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] That's all way over the head of most who read this forum, but I'm grateful for these technical distinctions, as it demonstrates the complexity of the situation. [/qb]
That's right, Phil. My thrust was to make obscure what too many others have seen way too clearly. My message: Caveat Emptor: Buyer Beware!

quote:
[qb]BTW, this thread is now 162 pages long -- single-spaced! Not bad for a few days' work. Smiler [/qb]
My contributions, somewhat redacted, have been been archived here.

I am also lurking on the Nonduality Salon Listserv, where they are discussing:
quote:
Bernadette Roberts: nondual or not?
June 15, 2008
A discussion on the nonduality (or non-nonduality) of Christian contemplative Bernadette Roberts is being held at Nonduality Salon, hosted by YahooGroups. Join the list. New members are moderated. It�s easy to unsub.

To learn about Bernadette Roberts, go to this web page. To get a balanced view, be sure to click on the links to other Bernadette Roberts sites.

Joseph Conti, an adjunct instructor in Comparative Religions at California State University, Fullerton, and who recently delivered a paper on Bernadette Roberts� paradigm at the American Academy of Religions, is on hand for only a few days to answer questions and receive your comments. Conti maintains that Roberts� work has nothing to do with nondualism. Some people are taking issue with that. Join the discussion at Nonduality Salon, which is one of the oldest, if not the oldest of all the Yahoo groups.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnboy:
[qb]
quote:
[qb] That's all way over the head of most who read this forum, but I'm grateful for these technical distinctions, as it demonstrates the complexity of the situation. [/qb]
That's right, Phil. My thrust was to make obscure what too many others have seen way too clearly. My message: Caveat Emptor: Buyer Beware![/qb]
LOL. Well, let's hope people also see in some of this an attempt to "distinguish in order to clarify."

quote:
I am also lurking on the Nonduality Salon Listserv, where they are discussing: [QUOTE] Bernadette Roberts: nondual or not?
They? On a nonduality list? You do realize that's an oxymoron, don't you. Razzer :

Seriously, though, I agree with Conti in that she's not, on the whole, advocating the kind of nonduality that the advaitans are -- not now, at least. Only, without affirming the ongoing existence of individual humans in some manner, she can certainly give the impression of saying that, beneath the surface of things, a pantheistic order prevails. And when she comes right out in the first edition of The Experience of No-Self and places the Buddhist experience as going beyond the unitive stage, then the Hindu mystical union as beyond even that, what are readers to think? Now, however, she writes in the response to Arraj:
quote:
. . .it is important to point out that his understanding of it relies solely on a few carefully selected quotes from an out-of-print copy of my first book-�a book never intended to be published in the first place�and quotes one might not find today.
Well, hell's bells, wouldn't you know that it isn't really her fault for perpetuating any misunderstanding! Somehow, publishing that book was forced upon her? (Kind of sounds like Eden, doesn't it -- "someone else made me do it; it's not my fault"!) And those were someone else's words -- not hers -- that are at the heart of the problem?

I don't think we've spent enough time on this issue, for it turns out that these "few carefully selected quotes" turn out to be a kind of summary of the spiritual journey in the light of her experience. Here they are again (109-110, TEONS):
quote:
Nevertheless, I now see a possible line of travel that may be of use before crossing the stream. It would be to start with the Christian experience of self's union with God, whereby we lose the fear of ever becoming lost -- since we can only get lost in God. This is done with the help of Christ, the ever-present guru or master who, unlike other mediums, is always around when you need Him, in the stillness within or in the silence of the Eucharist without.

But when the self disappears forever into this Great Silence, we come upon the Buddhist experience of no-self, and learn how to live without anything we could possibly call a self, and without a frame of reference, as we come upon the essential oneness of all that is.

Then, finally, we come upon the peak of Hindu discovery, namely: "That" which remains when there is no self, is identical with "that" which Is, the one Existent that is all that Is.

I am not a scholar of religion East or West, and though I know each religion feels it can ford the stream alone, I think it far superior to ford it together, because it is a difficult stream to cross no matter how well the life preservers are constructed. Theoretically, such an eclectic approach may be impossible, but after taking the journey, I am convinced that on an experiential level this is the way it goes -- this is the way the stream flows. (bold mine[/i]
Can anyone see now why people like Wilber thought her writings were an endorsement for Advaita and consolation for his view that Christian mystical experience is somewhat immature because it is still caught up in "duality"? And is Jim Arraj to be blamed for objecting to this way of looking at things, which clearly places the Buddhist and Hindu experiences higher than the Christian?

Now we are told that all this shouldn't have been published, and to pick out quotes like this are inquisitorial tactics! Roll Eyes Of course, what would it mean if she were to say, "well, that's the way I understood things then, but I have a different understanding now?" Nothing wrong with revising/updating one's understanding and writings. That's very human!

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Thanks for that nondual mind reference!

And, again, and mostly, welcome to catholicism. Smiler

Thank you, jb.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] Seriously, though, I agree with Conti in that she's not, on the whole, advocating the kind of nonduality that the advaitans are -- not now, at least. [/qb]
Phil, could you elaborate on the distinctions between BR and the advaitans in a quick compare and contrast? Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb]
quote:
[qb] Seriously, though, I agree with Conti in that she's not, on the whole, advocating the kind of nonduality that the advaitans are -- not now, at least. [/qb]
Phil, could you elaborate on the distinctions between BR and the advaitans in a quick compare and contrast? Thanks. [/qb]
Oh, and also the Mahayana Buddhists?

posted Hide Post
JB et al, a big difference is that BR makes a distinction between self and God, while this is often conflated in the advaitic literature. Helminiak confronts Wilber about this, for example:
- http://www.visionsofdaniel.net/R&HSch4.htm

quote:
Discussing the hierarchy of being, Wilber suggests that the absolute is differently related to the different levels of the hierarchy: "It is, as I said, paradoxical. All of the absolute is equally at every point, and some points are closer to the absolute than others" (163). Note that this statement is phrased in terms of imaginable closeness, non-separations [rather than in terms of intelligible distinctions]. No wonder supposed paradoxes result.

But another major confusion also influences that statement. The "absolute" in question can refer to human consciousness or to God. Granted, for Wilber they are one and the same. My insistence is that they are not and that their identification is a further source of the supposed paradox, the confusion. Or phrasing the matter more conservatively, I propose another interpretation that seems to account for all the relevant data and that also avoids paradox or self-contradiction�.

Mixing Religious Traditions

For Wilber the "absolute" is Mind, God, or Brahman, and all three are identified. On my understanding these three are far from equivalent�.
BR's critique of Marion's work on the Friends of Bernadette site also makes it clear that she thinks that Advaita is about self, and as she's already explained that self passes away, leaving only Christ, then that's a distinction (although, as I noted in my post above, the first edition of The Experience of No-Self sounded like an endorsement of Avaita, and she's probably edited out the implicating passages.)

In What is Self?, a later work, she examines Hinduism more closely and finds the descriptions of Atman to be similar to what Christians mean by the divine union -- God/self union. That they consider Atman to be Brahman or God is, to her, a mistake, as the whole point of her writing is to say that this kind of union eventually passes away, leading to what she calls the death of the unitive self, leaving no-self, an experience of void.

Here, she finds resonance with Buddhism's teaching on non-atman and appreciates the radical nature of what the Buddha was describing. That Buddha says nothing about God in his enlightenment is understandable, as there's nothing to say about this void/form insight without revelation of its true nature as Father/Creator - Logos/Word (a debatable interpretation, of course, but a personal revelation to her).

Of course, where BR ends up is a state that she says is devoid of human individuality, so while she's not conflating God and consciousness, she does end up affirming a situation similar to the advaitans -- there there is only one Being out there. This might be orthodox, as in "God is my being, but my being is not God," only that statement needs much more explanation and qualification. E.g., the term "is" could be taken in the sense of mathemmatic's commutative law: that if A = B, then B = A. Only "is" doesn't mean = and so the statement can be made, though with qualifications concerning the reality of created being, contingency, etc. BR does none of this, as we've noted many times, and so it's easy to conclude from her testimony and ongoing explanations that individual human beings somehow cease to exist with "no-self" and only Christ exists beyond. This could be paradoxical in some manner, or it could be explanation requiring more clarification. Or it could be nonsense.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that clarification, Phil.

I think one of the problems in interpretation is that, cross-culturally and between traditions, we don't share enough of the categories, hence vocabulary.

From what Joe Conti said at Nonduality Salon, I would label BR's paradigm as panentheist, experiencing God within and that unlike the Advaita Vedanta affirmation that "the experience of the divine within, indicates that �True Self� IS the divine, and the True Self as (Atman/Brahman) IS ultimate Reality. ... In contrast, B�s paradigm says that the experience of the divine within --though an experience of a true revelation of the divine -- is OUR experience, not the divine�s experience."

Conti suspects that, what most people mean by nonduality is either "a)the Hindu Advaitic type (Thou art That! --the True Self = God, of the Upanishads a la Shankara's interpretation) or (b) the Buddhist type: all is empty of self, all is truly Buddha-nature."

Joe wrote:
quote:
When I read Bernadette's Experience of No-Self I translated it in the nondualist terms I was accustomed to. I thought she was using Christian vocabulary to describe her nondualist experience because of her Catholic conditioning. It took me years to realize I had it exactly backwards: it was my habitual nondualist perspective which was interferring with my understanding of what she was saying.
Interestingly, Joe asked:
quote:

But is it possible that the the exact opposite is true?

Is it possible that nondualists are dominated by an �Advaitic� Archetype, that precludes their seeing of the Truth of the Trinity, as revealed by Christ?

I don�t have no reason to believe that it is true; nor do I believe that Christian mystics are not nondualists because they are dominated by a hypothetical �Christian archetype.� But to put it this way is to show that one can use the idea of archetypes simply to reject views that one disagrees with. That is what is being done with Bernadette�s paradigm, when people assert that Bernadette is bespelled by some �Christian archetype.�

I see this as a kind of �Advaitic imperialism�: if you don�t believe nonduality, there is something wrong with you. You are stuck in your ego, or taken over by �Christian archetypes.� As a Christian, I do not accuse Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or Buddhists of being stuck in archetypes or egotists because they are not Christians. Certainly not all advaitists make such accusations. But more than a few do, in my experience.
Conti did a good job, too, of explicating the doctrine of purgatory vis a vis notions of karma and reincarnation.

There was also some dicussion of what lies beyond the Resurrection, and beyond no-self vis a vis what BR calls the "Ascension." And to the extent this experience of the "Father" as the Eternal Unmanifest is transpersonal, I read into that my own interpretation of that being our experience of the primary object of our beatific vision, our essential beatitude of the Divine Essence as experienced by direct intuition. I do not see that as mutually exclusive, however, with our experiences of the secondary objects and accidental beatitudes of the Eternal Manifest in unity with the Eternal Manifesting and our Community of Saints and so on.

With regard to the Eternal Unmanifest, I can hold what BR says below as consonant with my distinctions between primary and secondary objects of beatific vision and essential and accidental beatitudes:
quote:

"Consciousness was not made to bear the final Vision which is incompatible with earthly existence. Those who believe they can openly see God and have this world too are very much mistaken." ("What is Self?" p. 160)
And with what Conti says here:
quote:
So while Bernadette is not the first to undergo no-self, Resurrection, and Ascention --it will happen to everyone, it is the only way to our final estate in the Trinity and in God's Knowing-- she is the first (at least in my reading of the literature of the world's religions) to describe these dimensions beyond no-self.
That there might have been good reason for many of us to be confused, Jerry Katz said it very well:
quote:
What her books need is an index and glossary. And some summary statement of what her teaching is about. When you have a teaching as intricate as hers, and there is no way to research a term or a concept or theme, it's a failure of scholarship.

Even though Roberts teaching is neither duality nor nonduality, I have identified elements of non-separateness and for that reason she falls into my very broad purview of nonduality. Why would people even bother getting involved in this discussion if there were absolutely no sign of nonduality in her teaching?

posted Hide Post
A few responses to your post above, JB.

Why would people even bother getting involved in this discussion if there were absolutely no sign of nonduality in her teaching?

Well, that's right! And, again, she has only herself to blame for the way she phrased the summary of her journey in The Experience of No Self.

As for Christian and Advaitan archetypes, I just don't know . . . Preconceptions, maybe, but I don't think Jung would agree that there are such archetypes.

In contrast, B�s paradigm says that the experience of the divine within --though an experience of a true revelation of the divine -- is OUR experience, not the divine�s experience."

I've read that distinction from her again and again and heard her try to explain it, using the analogy that if we get pricked by a needle, we know how it affected us, but we do not know the needle's experience of it's pricking us. This always seemed rather odd, and almost seems to be saying that since our experience of the divine is mediated by self, what we know in such experiences doesn't really tell us anything about the divine . . . Well, I thought the whole point of the Incarnation was human-mediated-divinity!

So, yes, she is really saying that with the loss of self, what she experiences now is the divine's experience of itself. That's quite a claim, to say the least, but, with you, I'm willing to grant that it's possible. Still, I'm wondering about the human soul of Bernadette Roberts, and who's doing all that writing and even revising her understanding, etc. Without such an accounting, what she gives testimony to does, in fact, collapse into another kind of non-duality.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb]
I've read that distinction from her again and again and heard her try to explain it, using the analogy that if we get pricked by a needle, we know how it affected us, but we do not know the needle's experience of it's pricking us. This always seemed rather odd, and almost seems to be saying that since our experience of the divine is mediated by self, what we know in such experiences doesn't really tell us anything about the divine . . . Well, I thought the whole point of the Incarnation was human-mediated-divinity! [/qb]
What if that was amended to say: what we know in such experiences doesn't really tell us EVERYthing about the divine . . . ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] As for Christian and Advaitan archetypes, I just don't know . . . Preconceptions, maybe, but I don't think Jung would agree that there are such archetypes. [/qb]
Right. I'm sure this is moreso a discussion re: formative development.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] Still, I'm wondering about the human soul of Bernadette Roberts, and who's doing all that writing and even revising her understanding, etc. Without such an accounting, what she gives testimony to does, in fact, collapse into another kind of non-duality. [/qb]
I haven't had the time to read through it all, but I think there may be something here that might help one come to grips with how she would describe what's going on:
quote:
"Before this event...I had never noticed how automatically and unconsciously the mind was aware of itself, or how continually conscious I had been of my own awareness in all mental processes, or in all my thoughts, words, and deeds. But when this...came to an end, I suddenly realised the profound roots of self-consciousness, roots that unknowingly had infiltrated every aspect of my existence. To have this entire system uprooted, made for so many amazing discoveries as I moved through the ordinary affairs of life that I could never hope to recount them all....

"By the time the journey is over, the only possible way of living is in the now-moment, wherein the mind moves neither backward nor forward but remains fixed and fully concentrated in the present. Because of this, the mind is so open and clear than no preconceived notions can get a foothold; no idea can be carried over from one moment to another; much less, could any notion demand conformity from others. There are no more head-trips -- no clinging to a frame of reference, even if it is only the reference of tomorrow's expectations. In a word, what is to be done or thought is always underfoot, with no need to step aside in order to find out what is to be thought, believed, or enacted...."

"As I hope I have shown, empirical reality is not itself an obstacle to seeing; rather, it is what we think about this reality that creates an obstacle to a transition that otherwise might not have been necessary in the first place. As it stands now, I still have a number of problems due to the continual need to compromise. I am surrounded by people with whom I need to relate; I live amid values, ideas, and opinions on which I must express myself; and because of this environment, I am continually impressed with the difficulty of sharing a journey with others who do not see as I now see. Yet this very inability, this abiding difficulty, only brings home to me the more how incomplete life is and ever will be until everyone can see."
This sounds like --- not only a loss of the affective ego, but --- a loss of reflexive self-awareness.

I wonder how close this is --- analogously --- to how a good musician merges with their instrument, playing effortlessly and even un-self-aware, merging also with the music. I recall how much effort and mindfulness was required of me as a novice on both trumpet and guitar but how that experience was transformed through years of practice and "playing." The persons watching me play, as an advanced novice or as a proficient, may not have been able to tell the difference in the quality of the music, phenomenologically, but my own experience of producing the music had drastically changed, phenomenally. I could NOT imagine going through the motions of everyday life with the same phenomenal state that I experience when playing a musical instrument, especially at the height of any ecstatic enjoyment of same, or boredom, as was sometimes the case. Maybe, at a deeper level, this is experienced by us as artists when we are writing music, lyrics, poetry, aphorisms or anything that comes with a creative flourish that seems almost channeled, not that we lay claim to same but we can phenomenally experience something akin thereto in the fluidity and facility of composition, even with no strong affect or sense of self-awareness: just taking dictation.

I know this may be a very weak analogy, but I am trying to weakly articulate what I think I hear her saying in more concrete experiential terms rather than in some of the more abstract illustrations she has employed with balloons and construction paper. BR, then, is testifying, perhaps, to her phenomenal experience, which, for her, is radically different with both a loss of affective ego and reflexive self-consciousness, which, for us, phenomenologically, is difficult to discern. This could account for her confrontational tone and tenor and interactions, which could be unwitting.

This is not supposed to be something we can easily wrap our hearts and minds around, by definition. It is expected that there would be misunderstandings, as BR observes:

quote:
"As matters stand now, however, it seems that the very idea that the unitive state eventually falls away strikes the mind as incomprehensible, unbelievable - impossible in fact. For this reason the no-self event has been variously misinterpreted as: (1) the 'no-ego' event, (2) a mistaken interpretation of the experience, (3) a misunderstanding of the traditional path, (4) a semantic error or improper use and definition of terms, (5) a kind of mulish pride and prejudice on the part of the author. This list of mis-interpretations goes on. At bottom, however, the whole problem is that, by its very nature, self or consciousness is incapable of conceiving its own non-existence. It cannot possibly imagine any kind of life without itself because that which could imagine such a life IS self. So the true difficulty of understanding the no-self event is not one of semantics; rather, it is consciousness' (psyche or self's) own inability to go beyond itself; it is impossible.....We cannot believe experiences we have not had, or unable to conceive or imagine; much less can we believe any experience we cannot find verified and described in our traditional literature....

posted Hide Post
Yes, JB, we touched earlier on how "training" can become "automatic" and life can go on without one thinking about it. Also, I've read all those quotes many times and have tried to discuss some of them with her.

I can grant the loss of "reflexive self consciousness" and I understand clarity of mind, loss of preconceived notions, present-moment living, etc. Wonderful! But there is obviously still an intellect and will in play, here, and a soul expressing itself. That's always been my major quibble, really. She could easily say that her soul is being directly moved by God, who makes use of the "training" she had during the journey through self. Also, present-moment living doesn't preclude ongoing learning, loving, etc. This is all happening to an individual human person, who even still has her individual body, and who feels so amazed by it all that she had to write three books, give numerous workshops, and correspond with lots of people about it. I'm not asking her to say she has a "self" as she understands the term, only to affirm the fact of her ongoing existence. Until/unless she does so, she cannot really escape the accusation that she is teaching another form of nonduality. See what I mean?

posted Hide Post
From that write-up you provide above, JB, I'm struck by the paradoxical position of BR on her experience of the void.

Her description sounds exactly like my brief experience of the void that I described earlier, and I've never heard anyone refer to it in this same way. It is surely a 'place' that is terrifying in a way you cannot know fear except when seeing non-existence. Somehow, you 'see' emptiness, an infinite sea of nothingness where there is no me, no world, and no God. At the same time, paradoxically, there was a 'me' who was capable of this reaction and a me to report back to you!

In BR's report below, who is experiencing the fear, dread, insanity, etc. if her "self has fallen away"? Who is doing the name-calling and "coping with the loss of self"? It just doesn't add up...is it Christ in her who is terrified at staring into the void?? Why would Christ be terrified?

=======================================

It was a time of utter terror for her as the self fell away: "Now I cannot convey what it is like to stare at some invisible horror when you don't know what it is. Just knowing what it is may be all the defense you need; but when you've gone through your list of name-calling and it does no good, you just have to resign yourself to not knowing and face it anyway. This thing I had to stare down was simply a composite of every connotation we have of 'terror,' 'dread,' 'fear,' 'insanity,' and things of this order." ... The Passageway, then, was a time after this encounter during which she just coped with the loss of self.

===================================

Furthermore, as I think you or w.c. mentioned, it doesn't feel to me as though she is describing a normative event through which we must all pass on the contemplative Christian path, as BR suggests. She said that her state is not one she would wish upon others, is "totally unrewarding," and it is not meant to experience while living in the world...

so I wonder, as others have too on this thread, how can it be a gift from God? how can it be a spiritually evolved reality given by the God of our Lord Jesus if she wouldn't wish it on anyone? It just doesn't add up.

Confused

I don't at all doubt her profound experiences and that she is radically transformed, but I wonder if "God is not done with her yet," as they say. The God of the Bible gives us gifts for the "equipping and perfecting" of his Church and surely her surrendered life and teachings will amount to such.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] I'm not asking her to say she has a "self" as she understands the term, only to affirm the fact of her ongoing existence. Until/unless she does so, she cannot really escape the accusation that she is teaching another form of nonduality. See what I mean? [/qb]
Oh, I do see what you mean. And, at the same time, I am wondering if she has the conceptual apparatus and categories to even make some of our questions meaningful to her. In other words, what might appear to us as evasions or coyness might very well be the radical inability to dialogue outside of her newly ordered perceptual filters, a tautological structure of sorts.

For example, people who inhabit a thomistic framework and who take existence to be a predicate of being can make sense of Heidegger's question: Why is there not rather nothing? But, some reject this as a meaningless tautology, which is to say that they think that the affirmation that Being exists is a redundancy. These people would read and write in a language called E-prime, which does not employ the verb "to be" or its forms and tenses. For them, the word nothing is a meaningless reification; there ain't no such thing and never was. It's an empty concept that does not refer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
[qb] Somehow, you 'see' emptiness, an infinite sea of nothingness where there is no me, no world, and no God. At the same time, paradoxically, there was a 'me' who was capable of this reaction and a me to report back to you!

In BR's report below, who is experiencing the fear, dread, insanity, etc. if her "self has fallen away"? Who is doing the name-calling and "coping with the loss of self"? [/qb]
See my response to Phil. She may perceive our questions as major category errors per her de novo perceptual framework. This is likely a weak analogy but imagine her going through an experience that existentially confirmed for her the "realities" of solipsism and atheism at the same time. Keep in mind, for example, that solipsism is not a belief that can be defeated by empirical observation or rational demonstration. It is something most of us a priori reject as a foundational presupposition, believing, for all practical purposes, in the existence of other minds.

To transist from a unitive state into an atheistic solipsism, which would be the philosophical equivalent of her phenomenal experience, best I can interpret same, would be a horror indeed. The existential angst would be suffocating unless and until, to use Richard Rohr's expression, one eventually learned how to breathe underwater. In BR's case, she came to the realization that she was a cell in the Mystical Body of Christ, which had to be a blessed relief, a most blessed deliverance in manifold ways. This is her existential-theotic gateway, then, to her experience of the Eternal Unmanifest, the Father. Apparently, her phenomenal experience as a cell in the Body is radically different from her more conventional experience of self, but, as a cell, communicates with other cells and so on.

The best analog I can think of in order to relate to this is the corporate org chart and our unique place and function in the corporation, with which we surely identify, but, in a manner that is quite different from the way we identify with, let's say, the neighbors up and down our street, or our extended family.

I am just using my imaginative faculties to try to relate, best I can, with the experiences she describes, charitably interpreting those descriptions as sincere and authentic. And I am trying to explain the obvious disconnects between her reports and our perspectives in the same way, giving her the utmost benefit of the doubt, which is to say that I do not want to think that she is purposefully trying to stretch our credulity; rather, she's gone down a path that has blown her mind as much as any of ours and is desperately trying to process same best she can.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
[qb] I don't at all doubt her profound experiences and that she is radically transformed ...[/qb]
Right, Shasha. And to be clear, I haven't gathered that she has at all suggested that a life of heroic virtue or unparalleled merit is what occasioned it all, or that she is suggesting any peculiar set of preparations for those who are destined to trod the same path, other than the life of worship and service the Church already forms us in? in our relationships to God, others, nature and self?

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] So, yes, she is really saying that with the loss of self, what she experiences now is the divine's experience of itself. That's quite a claim, to say the least, but, with you, I'm willing to grant that it's possible. [/qb]
Even then, another thing I have been wondering, what is all of this supposed to mean for the rest of us, for all practical purposes? Knowing this all, stipulating to this all, what do we do differently, now?

posted Hide Post
From Shasha: In BR's report below, who is experiencing the fear, dread, insanity, etc. if her "self has fallen away"? Who is doing the name-calling and "coping with the loss of self"? It just doesn't add up...is it Christ in her who is terrified at staring into the void?? Why would Christ be terrified?

LOL! Smiler Exactly! Who "sees" all this? There is still observation and even evaluation. That's what I mean when I say the faculties of the spiritual soul are alive and well throughout her journey. I'm not doubting that God communicated some kind of consolation and meaning to her, only affirming that it was give to her.

From JB: I am wondering if she has the conceptual apparatus and categories to even make some of our questions meaningful to her. In other words, what might appear to us as evasions or coyness might very well be the radical inability to dialogue outside of her newly ordered perceptual filters, a tautological structure of sorts.

I don't know, JB. She's sharp as a tack in some of her analyses, and seems to be firing on all intellectual cylinders. Granted her lack of inclination to the kind of philosophical discussion you enjoy, still, to affirm that one is a living soul whose memory, intellect and will have continuity through what she experienced isn't such a stretch.

In BR's case, she came to the realization that she was a cell in the Mystical Body of Christ, which had to be a blessed relief, a most blessed deliverance in manifold ways.

That's a very generous interpretation, JB. She never says anything quite like this, to my knowledge. The relief she describes came with what she calls "the smile of recognition," which is the beginning of her resurrection experience. Here she realizes that Christ lives on and is everything that exists, pure form, etc. Nothing whatsoever about how she now lives in him as a cell in the body, etc.

I've laid this all this out for her before and it went nowhere, as it seemed she heard anything moving in the direction of affirming her individual existence as wanting to stick her with "self" again (and in the same defensive tone as the response to Arraj). So we just have to do that work for her, I guess, as the alternative is another kind of non-duality that negates individual existence just as surely as Wilber's conflation of consciousness and God.

- - -

I'm repeating myself again and again, here, I know. Wink

<w.c.>
posted
Similar to Shasha's remarks, here are some participant journal excerpts from one of B's previous retreats taken from the links Derek provided early on in this tread:

"I'll state right away that I do believe she "made the trip" to no-self. This is based on my own gut reaction, not on anything specific that she said or did. In fact, I was very surprised at how much "ego" she appeared to have -- my impression was that she was verbally aggressive toward those in the audience that raised challenging questions or that did not agree with her point of view. I personally did not think her style was appropriate for the audience since we were guests, not long-term students. I thought enlightened folks would be more tolerant and kind, somehow? Perhaps this was the biggest lesson for me; maybe enlightened folks are still human after all."

"Some of Bernadette's beliefs seemed to be 180 degrees in the opposite direction of some I have come to value. Examples include:

"The ego has the ability to choose good over evil. We are born with free will to make choices. We are human beings with a free will. (By the way - she was ADAMANT about this! She said, "We have no choice that we came here, and no choice but to return to the Father." I asked her how it is then possible that we have true free will in-between, in our life span. She would not answer my question, and would not give me the opportunity to speak about it again.)"

Loss of self, at least in the way B describes, would make much or all of the above almost impossible, or unlikely to characterize her interactions with others.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] From JB: I am wondering if she has the conceptual apparatus and categories to even make some of our questions meaningful to her. In other words, what might appear to us as evasions or coyness might very well be the radical inability to dialogue outside of her newly ordered perceptual filters, a tautological structure of sorts.

I don't know, JB. She's sharp as a tack in some of her analyses, and seems to be firing on all intellectual cylinders. Granted her lack of inclination to the kind of philosophical discussion you enjoy, still, to affirm that one is a living soul whose memory, intellect and will have continuity through what she experienced isn't such a stretch.

In BR's case, she came to the realization that she was a cell in the Mystical Body of Christ, which had to be a blessed relief, a most blessed deliverance in manifold ways.

That's a very generous interpretation, JB. She never says anything quite like this, to my knowledge. The relief she describes came with what she calls "the smile of recognition," which is the beginning of her resurrection experience. Here she realizes that Christ lives on and is everything that exists, pure form, etc. Nothing whatsoever about how she now lives in him as a cell in the body, etc. [/qb]
I got that imagery from a a wikipedia article. But it is disputed and I do not know who all contributed to same.

quote:
The ego, matured through life experience and spiritual practice, falls away to reveal the unitive state, the oneness or wholeness of the self in unity with God, a state characterized by the feelings of love and subtle ecstasy. This was the end of the Christian journey � or so Roberts initially believed � and from this point we can see where Roberts travels beyond the limits of doctrinal Christianity. The Self, the mature human in a state of union with God, also falls away. This is the import of Roberts' work. So what does this mean and what is left when there is no-self? Fundamentally the unitive state is still a form of dualism � Self and God � it means that an idea or archetype of God is still captured by the psyche. Fundamentally this unitive state is nondualistic - in which the self and God are One, not two - "I and my Father are One," one without a second, without even the concept of one. Roberts experiences the falling away of the idea of God simultaneously with the experience of the falling away of self � when there is no self, there is no God. For someone wholly devoted to the spiritual life and to God, to discover that there is no God, not one iota of subtle conception of God left to grasp at or attach to, was a particularly horrendous and terrible experience and is described in detail in "the experience of no-self". The experience is of a raw, pure and unadulterated reality without the imposition of concepts and ideas. Gradually this state, this initial loss, cleared to become a profound understanding of reality itself. In place of "unity" with God comes identity with God � a state she calls seeing with God's own eyes. But neither the ego-based sense nor the spiritualized self is "God". Instead, God is Reality itself, of which the human person is a single cell.

"Beyond self, the revelation is not of an immaterial soul or spirit but, rather, the revelation of the true nature of the body as part and parcel of Christ's eternal Mystical Body. This Mystical Body dwells in the glory of the Father and its enlightenment is the Holy Spirit" (from the preface of The Path to No-Self).
Keep in mind, too, that the lack of a certain perceptual apparatus is not the same thing as the lack of intellect. It can take a great deal of Zen koan-like medidation and/or philosophical contemplation to JOTS --- jump outside the system --- in order to see the world through different interpretive lenses. I know. I know. What is uncanny, here, is that you are only asking her to jump back inside a system she once inhabited and that, it seems, shouldn't be such a stretch. For her to RE-cognize might be more difficult than we can even imagine. I do not want to push this type of analysis further than the bounds of charity might permit, so I think I am really at the point where I must simply accept her stipulations without fully understanding their implications.

posted Hide Post
everyone, it has taken me some time to absorb all of these 'opinions', but i want to put some thoughts of mine out here. i have come to a sort of conclusion in my own opinion that we need to define the word'enlightenment' again, if we are to define in any way, shape or form,BR's experience. what strikes me is her lack of accountability to those that have taken her workshops. she does not seem very 'enlightened' when it comes to compassion for those who have travelled to see her and understand her way. the more i hear from those people, the more i change my opinion of whether or not she is truly enlightened. i know 'enlightenment' does not make one 'perfect', but i do believe that if you are ONE with THE ONE, then you would be more loving and sensitive to your fellow man. perhaps we have aknowleged her 'enlightenment', because of ken wilburs endorsement that this is so. wilbur may or may not know all that we have shared on this site, but he is not the END ALL for me( although i have great respect for him.)has anyone thought of the possibility that BR was CONTINUING to have totally metaphysical and psychic experiences and had NOT truly put a stop to them as she thought she had? she may have interpreted her experience through her christianity, but perhaps she was actually tapping into the afterlife and some of the experiences that happen in the next life, such as a meeting with her negative self that led her to the VOID within herself that had NOT reached eternal life yet. different religions have different names for this stage. perhaps she became so terrified of it,that she gave it 'the name' of 'no self'?! does anyone understand what i am trying to say? or agree with me? rebecca

Posts: 45 | Location: over the rainbow | Registered: 03 April 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] And to be clear, I haven't gathered that she has at all suggested that a life of heroic virtue or unparalleled merit is what occasioned it all ... [/qb]
Still, when Merton and Maritain draw distinctions between different types of experiences, they are not at all suggesting that one attains to God and the other does not, they are not drawing distinctions between the natural and supernatural on the order of substance but only regarding modes, they are not, then, disvaluing one journey and elevating another in terms of comparatives and superlatives vis a vis varying degrees of sanctity and virtue, they are, rather, placing value-neutral philosophical labels on this approach to God versus that, distinguishing in order to properly unite, precisely with a practical goal in mind --- that of properly integrating these different spiritual technologies and enjoying the riches they have found. As I quoted before:
quote:
We cultivate the intuition of being by pursuing our deepest inner aspirations that transcend metaphysics itself. The more we situate Zen in this ascent, the better able we will be to let it inspire both metaphysics and Christian mysticism, and be inspired by them in turn. Each is enamored by existence in its own way. The metaphysics of St. Thomas wants to understand it, and to do so, it uses concepts and pushes them to their ultimate limits where they display their innermost nature as reflections of existence. Zen wants to actively embrace existence so it resolutely puts aside all concepts, and in this emptiness finds the way to existence. Christian mysticism wants to be embraced by existence and see revealed in its depths its most intimate face, which is love. There is no reason except our own weakness that prevents all three from sharing with each other the riches they have found in the service of this one Existence, or Nothingness.
Chapter 8: Zen Catholicism? in _God, Zen and the Intuition of Being_ by Jim Arraj
Now, with all due respect, that anyone would receive and interpret Merton and Maritain's distinctions as an exercise in not just comparative spirituality but as in anyway a disvaluing or denigrating of one journey vs another vis a vis levels or degrees of virtue, sanctity or supernatural substance in terms of superlatives, does not really say anything at all about Merton and Maritain but might, instead, reveal more about where their critics are coming from?

posted Hide Post
Folks, I'm pretty much done, here. Any other discussion topics related to BR are likely to be sidebars that we've either already taken up on other threads, or should maybe have it's own.

I'll keep checking in, of course.

posted Hide Post
consummatum est!

See: this , a consolation.

<bdb>
posted
I got acquainted with shalom place, when I was googling Bernadette Roberts. I was completely confused by her latest book on Not Self, and dismayed by the lack of inclusion of family, and how her "not Self" states may have affected them. I couldn't finish the book, and returned it as soon as I could. I wish I could say that I found the discussion on shalomplace helpful, but you are all so intellectual about something which seems so beyond the intellect. I like you all.I am just confused.
I am also confused by all the negativity on this site about Centering Prayer.
All I have it seems is my experience of the Risen Christ, and my seeking of Him. I am not anti-intellectual, and have quite an intellectual job. I love reading,especially in the last 6 years or so that iI have been practising Centering Prayer, books by Teresa of Avila, P.Marie-Eugenie,O.C.D., Ruth Burrows, Thomas Keating, Cynthia Bourgealt, deCaussade, but I find they, in the end, lead me to deeper prayer, not in any intellectual understanding. Centering Prayer is a prayer of surrender to me. Of course, I can't will contemplation, that is a gift that God gives in the prayer and outside of the prayer. My intention is to let go, to surrender, i have never felt like a zombie, or with some sort of a blank mind. I kind of enjoy watching my thoughts and sort of incorporate them into my prayer without actaully thinking them, if you get my drift. For example, if I have the thought, I need to get the oil changed on the car, I leave it at that, I don't start calculating how long it has been since the oil has been changed, etc., I just watch with bemusement this thought come and go. Somehow my concern for the car becomes part of my prayer without me having to articulate it. Insights and illuminations are just more thoughts. God likes my littleness, He enjoys revealing Himself to me in lots of ways.,including a sense of humor about my thoughts. This surrender action of CP increases my love of God, so it must be good. And I ffel I don't take myself so seriously either, and that is good. By the way, sometimes I pray a lot longer than 20 minutes, and sometimes I miss it altogether, and that seems ok. I like being married, with children and grandchildren, and living in community , and working, and volunteering with hospice. I am not sure i would be able to function as well as I do if it wasn't for prayer.
Barbara

Report This Post