Find
Notify
Tools
Bernadette Roberts responds to Jim Arraj Login/Join 
posted
- http://bernadettesfriends.blog...ajs-comments-on.html

The essay by Arraj she is responding to can be found at:
- http://www.innerexplorations.com/ewtext/br.htm

I find many fallacies in Bernadette's reply, none the least of which is the ad hominem tone of her writing. A glaring theological error is to be found in her summary:

quote:
I�m going to end this by giving Mr. Arraj�s orthodox mind something to think about, which is a piece of ancient orthodoxy. The Logos� Incarnation was Its union not with any individual person (Christ you know was not a human person) but rather, the Logos� union was with the basic human nature all humans share in common PRIOR to anything that makes for their differences. Thus Christ�s Hypostatic Union is devoid of any human individuality or self, devoid of personality and all that makes one person different than another. Now if the ultimate Christian goal or end is to be transformed into Christ, this means we too must ultimately go beyond all that makes for differences � beyond all individuality (self), personality and all the rest. We are not transformed into the historical Christ or man Jesus, but into the living, heavenly Christ which IS the Logos� eternal oneness with man. There is no other Way to eternal life, and this is exactly what No-Self is about�it�s right on the Way.
It's difficult to understand how the Logos can be one with "man" without being one with individual human beings, inasmuch as there is no such thing as "man" without individual human beings. For "man" to be one with the Logos, what is entailed is individuals in union, that most perfect union being the incarnation of the Logos as the individual, Jesus of Nazareth. It was through the individual Jesus that the Logos became one with man, and it is through Jesus and his gift of Spirit that we each, individually, come to participate in the divinity he fully embodies. This is the traditional understanding of Theosis.

Furthermore, it is an error to say that Jesus possessed no individual human consciousness, self, etc. To affirm that the Person of the Word is the Personhood of Jesus is not to deny all that made Jesus an individual human being, including his human soul, which was raised up with resurrection. We even find the Ascended Christ identifying himself as Jesus when confronting Paul on the road to Damascus (something B. minimized when I asked her about it years ago -- her response being that what was important was the "I am" in the "I am Jesus." Roll Eyes )

So, dear friends, you can see for yourself how this champion of "Christian nonduality" understands things. There are glaring errors in her reasoning, some of which I will go more into if you'd like. Your own comments and observations are welcomed as well.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno Phil ... our Bernadette had me literally laughing out loud at several points. She is one smart cookie. I have three of her books plus a recording of an interview she did with the New Dimensions radio show some years back. I'll have to dig them out and have another look. Derek.

Posts: 140 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 May 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Right Derek. She's quite a character and does have a good sense of humor. I've never doubted that she's had a profoundly transformative experience, only when you write about it and try to relate it to Christian teaching, critical feedback is "fair game."

Here's the obvious question, though. Who wrote that rebuttal? I can accept a falling away of "self," depending on how one defines that, but I cannot accept the loss of an individual agent of behavior. Call that a soul, a person, etc. Fine with me. Such affirmation is nowhere to be found with her. The Christ life literally lives her and she believes she has undergone the resurrection and ascension, abiding now in something of a eucharistic state -- the "Real Presence" hidden behind the appearance of her flesh and blood. Yet are we really to believe that all those "I" statements in her writings are expressions of the Christ life and that there is no individual human agent at work, here? Sorry, but I don't buy it. Never have for any of these nonduality writers.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I found two of my books and have refreshed my memory of what she says.

I think it's not critical feedback per se that she objects to. What she objects to is people misrepresenting her.

If you look at the other main item on her website, it's a 110-page response to A.H. Almaas' and James Marion's take on her. She characterizes their account as "forcing the fit," or "forcing Christianity and my experiences into some totally foreign paradigm."

Similarly, with Jim's critique, she says: "He thinks what I mean by No-Self is no different than what the Buddhists mean by their an-atman doctrine, which is not even close."

Her other main objection is that Jim assumes that St. John of the Cross wrote down everything he knew. Bernadette suggests that St. John may actually have known more than he wrote, but chose not to write it down out of prudency. Hence, Jim's conception of the Christian contemplative life is artificially limited.

As for your question, "Who wrote that rebuttal?" I don't have an answer! Is it possible that a personality can exist, alongside an inner experience of "No-Self"? You'll have to ask someone other than me!

posted Hide Post
Derek, I agree that B's main beef is usually that she's "misunderstood" or misrepresented. It doesn't help matters, however, that she implies ill-will on the part of those she interprets as doing so, nor that she takes no responsibility for what she said that contributes to the misunderstanding. As Jim Arraj put it in his essay cited above:
quote:
Just what Bernadette Roberts' experience of Christian mysticism was like is not a large part of this book, but it is striking that her no-self experiences began very young and it is possible they colored her practice of the Christian contemplative life. While she recognizes the differences between these two journeys, she regards "the second movement as a continuation and completion of the first." (p. 106) And she sees a possible progress of spiritual development starting "with the Christian experience of self's union with God... But when the self disappears forever into this Great Silence, we come upon the Buddhist discovery of no-self..." (p. 109) "Then finally, we come upon the peak of Hindu discovery, namely: "that" which remains when there is no self is identical with "that" which Is, the one Existent that is all that Is." (p. 109)
These are quotes from B's book, The Experience of No-Self and it sure sounds like she's relating her experience to Buddhism and Hinduism, there. In her response to Arraj, however, she notes:
quote:
While the term �no-self� has been used by many people to articulate their experiences, I have never found anyone who means by �No-Self� what I mean by it. Thus we have to be careful not to assume we are all talking about the same event or experience. Unfortunately Mr. Arraj has made this mistake. He thinks what I mean by No-Self is no different than what the Buddhists mean by their an-atman doctrine, which is not even close.
Well, fine, only let's not say Arraj was putting words in her mouth in her response to her quote from The Experience of No Self. It would help if she actually remembered what she wrote!

Her comments on John of the Cross are also somewhat question-begging.
quote:
Had John of the Cross and others talked about this we�d never have heard of them. Obviously, they knew when to quit. But this is exactly why you will not find No-Self (or what I mean by this) in the works of Christian mystics.
Well, maybe, only their silence on this matter doesn't prove that this is "exactly" why he wrote nothing about it. Proving a negative is tricky business, at best.

----

A few more problems. B notes:
quote:
But before going further, I have to say I find Mr. Arraj� agenda of reserving God�s supernatural grace for Christians only, totally out of line, un-Christian, absolutely false. Who dares to tell us God is not free to give His divine grace and supernatural help to whoever He pleases?
Jim and I have corresponded regularly for over 20 years and I'm positive he doesn't have an "agenda of reserving God's supernatural grace for Christians only." There's nothing in Arraj's essay to justify this criticism; his saying that we might understand enlightenment experiences as natural mysticism doesn't imply that only Christians experience supernatural grace. God save us from straw man tactics!

She then goes on to try to disqualify the whole notion of "natural mysticism," but shows little evidence that she really understands what this term signifies, and how this type of mysticism is an experience of God, but not like that of the love mysticism described by John of the Cross. Then this fallacy: It could only be called �natural� if every human being automatically experienced this Presence, but let�s face it, many Christians have never experienced this Presence whereas many Easterners have. Say what now? Confused

A few more quotes:

quote:
The historical Christ cured and enlightened many a gentile, but never met a Christian.
Well. . . um . . . ahem . . .

quote:
. . .man�s final estate is beyond his earthly Unitive State, but alerts us that in this heavenly estate there is no self-awareness at all�as St. Bernard put it: we cease to be aware of our own existence.
Understood, but it does not follow that we actually do not exist, as some of her statements imply. That's the basic structure of any kind of ecstasy, and one can assume the Beatific Vision will be the ultimate. This is what the Church has always affirmed while also teaching the Communion of Saints -- a dogma that is never mentioned in B's writings. These blessed individuals still exist, moreso than ever.

quote:
I have to add, however, there is no self in the Godhead and thus what �personal� (and �Person�) means in the Trinity has no human resemblance�not what we think of as a person or personal How all this works in the Trinity is totally different. I don�t know if this allays Mr. Arraj�s fears on this score, but it�s the Truth, which is all that matters.
Note the capital T for truth, and with regard to the Trinity's own experience! And, again, the straw man -- like Arraj has implied that the Trinity has a self as we humans do. Sheesh! Roll Eyes

quote:
While Mr. Arraj has other comments that testify to his inability to grasp No-Self, it is important to point out that his understanding of it relies solely on a few carefully selected quotes from an out-of-print copy of my first book�a book never intended to be published in the first place�and quotes one might not find today.
Jim knows her, was present for a week-long workshop she gave in Wichita in 1991, and has read her other books. That she now laments the publication of her first book and some of statements she made then -- which are not incongruent with what she was saying when he wrote the essay -- is not his problem. Once again, she might take a little more responsibility for some of the misunderstandings people have of her writings.

quote:
To base what he knows about No-Self on a few sayings, however, is exactly what the Inquisitors did to Meister Eckhart: pick out a few sentences, declare them heretical and hand him the Papal Bull. While the Inquisition may be defunct, Mr. Arraj is proof that the Inquisitors, at least, live on.
For the record, there were many more problems with Eckhart's writings than "a few sentences." Some of the problems, we now know, came from inaccurate translations of his work. At any rate, he repudiated the errors he was called on, and there's no evidence he was mistreated by the Inquisition. As for the association of Arraj with an Inquisitor, that's a classic ad hominem, and most unbecoming of one who's supposedly as spiritually advanced as B.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil, for this discussion.

I surely bristled at B's rebuttal. Her words just turned my stomach... I felt she was rather hostile towards Jim, unfair towards his remarks, and showed a persecutory defensiveness.

My hunch is that she is feeling attacked precisely because she is standing on sandy soil. If she was so confident of her claims, why the need to be so hostile towards those who question her theology / interpretation of her mystical experiences??

Of course, mystical /supernatural states are difficult to understand, discern from other similar states, and much more difficult to talk about. But I agree with Phil that if you're going to take that step to share and teach something of this magnitude, it is incumbant upon you to take the care and integrity to dialogue with love. Instead, it feels to me that she is spitting nails.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, thanks for this, Phil.

I think it's possible to have this type of no self experience and still have a strong sense of individuality and personhood. Did anyone else ever look in the mirror as a kid and think "I'm me, I'm me", until the "me" actually disappeared into itself, only to re-emerge, stronger and more aware? Or was I just weird? Or was " " just weird? Wink

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Her reply certainly doesn�t leave me with the impression that she has let go of her ego. Big Grin - given, it is authentic, and not by some of her "friends".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] Derek, I agree that B's main beef is usually that she's "misunderstood" or misrepresented. It doesn't help matters, however, that she implies ill-will on the part of those she interprets as doing so, nor that she takes no responsibility for what she said that contributes to the misunderstanding.[/qb]
Hi, Phil,

So many points here I'll need to reply to them one by one!

I don't read B's response as an implication of ill-will on the part of Jim. She's certainly forceful, perhaps even prickly, but I think her underlying point is rational.

According to B, Jim assumes that St. John of the Cross's extant writings provide an exhaustive description of the Christian contemplative life. Given this assumption, Jim is forced to categorize any suggestion of a stage beyond those in the literature as somehow deficient, possibly misguided, and perhaps even not Christian.

It would be interesting if Jim could come in at this point and clarify whether that is indeed his logic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] she takes no responsibility for what she said that contributes to the misunderstanding. [/qb]
I agree that determining the relationship between B's experiences and those of the Buddhists is difficult, in part because of her own writings, but also in part because so few people have any experiential knowledge of these stages.

In an interview B quotes from a Buddhist text she discovered that exactly described her experience:

quote:
Initially, I gave up looking for this experience in the Buddhist literature. Four years later, however, I came across two lines attributed to Buddha describing his enlightenment experience. Referring to self as a house, he said, "All thy rafters are broken now, the ridgepole is destroyed." And there it was - the disappearance of the center, the ridgepole; without it, there can be no house, no self. When I read these lines, it was as if an arrow launched at the beginning of time had suddenly hit a bulls-eye. It was a remarkable find. These lines are not a piece of philosophy, but an experiential account.
Interview at http://www.spiritualteachers.o...oberts_interview.htm

Now, however, she states quite categorically here that her "No-Self" is NOT the same as the Buddhist "an-atman."

(Note, though, that this latter statement is based on a discussion with a single exemplar of the Buddhist tradition. Would other Buddhists say the same thing?)

posted Hide Post
i have read b.r.'s "PATH TO NO SELF", and jim marion's,"PUTTING ON THE MIND OF CHRIST", and also the online discussion of b.r.'s 'state of no self' between phil and jim arraj.i agree with shasha that it is very difficult to put into words, things of the Spirit, and after finishing b.r.'s book, i wondered what her motivation was.she states in her preface that it is to'shed some light on the psychological-spiritual journey that everyone is called to make.' i do appreciate her effort, but have trouble understanding whether or not this is at all possible.i can definitly relate to her frustration and belief that she is misunderstood. my question at this point is why does she keep trying to explain something that must be so unique and personal( yes, i do believe that God created us with unique personalities and with unique relationship to Him)that (especially with the transformation into NO SELF)there may be no true understanding between two people on this earth. in other word, it is most probable to me that it is impossible to compare or to even 'teach' such a thing. if it is from God, then to Him be the Glory, let others recieve this teaching and transformation from God alone. it is merely confusing for most, and why would she even be concerned at this point in her no self state? it all seems so contradictory. i do agree with her that no one will understand it unless they have had it, however as i read her book i very often found myself identifying with much of what she had gone through, but i ( after much prayer and depending on God for discernment) recieved a message to"DON'T WORRY!!! TRUST GOD!!!in this dream, those words came to me carved into huge boulders. deep in my spirit i felt comfort anytime i meditated on that dream.it has brought me unbelievable grace and comfort over the years, through very difficult trials.so though i have not reached the state of NO SELF, i felt very much that b.r. was saying that IT was the goal of all true seekers of TRUTH. i don't believe that is true. i believe that if we try to live in LOVE and TRUTH in our daily walk with CHRIST that He will surely lead us. no worries here! and if He created us to LOVE one another, then how does no self become the goal? again, contradictory.i was very depressed when i finished her book, and i again want to say that i take it as an act of love on her part for attempting to write about these things. but i don't understand the attempt. in HIM, rebecca

Posts: 45 | Location: over the rainbow | Registered: 03 April 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] A few more quotes:

quote:
The historical Christ cured and enlightened many a gentile, but never met a Christian.
Well. . . um . . . ahem . . .[/qb]
This takes us to what, to me, is the most interesting point, the question of Christian identity.

We're told in Acts 11:26 that it was only at Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians. In other words, The Twelve didn't originally think of themselves as Christians, nor did Jesus tell them that they had to "become Christians."

Elsewhere on Jim's site, he raises the question as to what makes Christian meditation "Christian."

It's a good question, but one might equally ask, what makes the Rosary "Christian"? There are plenty of people out there who would argue that it isn't. So is it Christian, or isn't it -- and why?

All of this is to say that the boundaries of Christianity are not as rigid as many might imagine, and that Christianity in its earliest form cannot possibly have been about creating a "Christian" identity for oneself.

posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great discussion! Smiler

Just a couple of points, as I'm strapped for time:

Shasha noted: Of course, mystical /supernatural states are difficult to understand, discern from other similar states, and much more difficult to talk about. But I agree with Phil that if you're going to take that step to share and teach something of this magnitude, it is incumbant upon you to take the care and integrity to dialogue with love.

So it would seem. Point well-taken.

And Rebecca: i can definitly relate to her frustration and belief that she is misunderstood. my question at this point is why does she keep trying to explain something that must be so unique and personal

Indeed. Only one wonders "who" is being misunderstood? If everything that constitutes one as an individual person is "taken up" into the Christ life, then who is left to be upset about anything? Someone obviously is, in this case.

Derek, yes: part of the current misunderstanding re. Arraj's reflections goes back to her own writings wherein she expressed a sense of validation -- even relief! -- in recognizing her experience in the Buddhist tradition. Now she seems to deny such a thing and even seems unaware of what she's written.

Also, you note: All of this is to say that the boundaries of Christianity are not as rigid as many might imagine, and that Christianity in its earliest form cannot possibly have been about creating a "Christian" identity for oneself.

"Christian identity" is not B's beef with Arraj, but it is a good topic. The term, "Christian," is usually understood to be a "follower of Christ," so the disciples of Jesus were indeed "Christians" in this sense before the movement split from Judaism and the name was applied in Antioch. Prayer directed to Christ or expressed out of Christian faith may also be considered Christian; that would certainly include the Rosary. Not to get side-tracked on this point topic, but I thought I'd clarify.

Finally, another quote from B's rebuttal:
quote:
Although No-Self is more orthodox than the orthodox, all people really need know is that they will be transformed into Christ. This knowledge is both sufficient and the Truth. (When they get there they�ll see how wondrously it all works).
I'm sorry, but who is there to see or appreciate anything if individuality is denied?

posted Hide Post
w.c. (who is opting out of direct participation for various reasons) sends the following observations:

quote:
. . .here's what I notice, with varying degrees of experiential awareness. There really isn't much of a doer for most of the bodily and mental processes that occur. I'm speaking for myself here, but I'll just write in a generalizing sort of way to see if this finds any agreement with others. Now, I can intentionally start and stop actions, but not so with thoughts (or not for minutes on end), and certainly not�the thousands of bodily processes that seem quite functional without a sense of self. One could say the larger, or vaster dimension of the kundalini runs this organic show well below the surface of conscious awareness. But when this kundalini becomes increasingly conscious, to a high degree, I can see where �self,� in the way we normally identify it, disappears from within the view of such an extremely dilated awareness. The speaker continues to frame language in a common self-other orientation, but the bodily processes that were without self-identity prior to consciousness are now, still, without it as consciousness. As such, the margin, or threshold, between self as deliberating agent, and the more powerful bodily processes acting on their own without need of �self� direction, collapse; this leaves self feeling rather feeble indeed as heretofore unconscious bodily processes become the primary awareness process. The self is seen for actually doing very little that is vital for survival.

Perhaps this is what Bernadette Roberts, Eckhart Tolle and�Suzanne Segal, are describing, more or less. They obviously are agent-oriented in terms of language, and exhibit distinctive personality characteristics, but the bodily organism's intelligence has taken over the space of awareness to such a degree that what seemed to be under self direction is now known, experientially, to have never been the case.

But what also stands out in this transformation is the limited capacity of the awakened organism. BR isn't capable of creating out of nothing, overcoming death, fully knowing the inner life of another, being omni-present, etc . . . . Her fully (?) awakened organism still is a creature in limited participation with the Infinite power that creates and sustains�her being out of nothing. So as eclipsing as her experience was in terms of realizing an inherently marginal function of self, there is still the �problem� of her existing at all. This isn't a problem for BR, of course, who has her own way of framing the experience theologically. But it seems that what comes through for both BR and SS is, perhaps,�God's manifest powers of creation�to the extent the highly evolved�human organism can�manage to remain conscious as "self" in His presence; whereas in the Unitive Stage the organism isn't primarily being called upon to metaphysically translate the�manifest Divine�powers into human perceptual ability. So the difference in these stages might be more metaphysical than spiritually developmental.
I can go along with that, w.c. An analogy I often use pertains to driving a car, where at first we have to hyper-consciously think of all we do, then, eventually, we "know" how to drive. Henceforth, a "robot" drives and we don't have to think about what we're doing. The robot even knows to direct our attention to certain problems so we can more consciously evaluate what's going on.

BR likens the unitive stages to such a training, whereby the life of virtue, holiness, surrender, detachment, etc. become somewhat automatic and no longer require ongoing, conscious attention and evaluation. This makes it possible for one to surrender more deeply to God without having to monitor external behavior. The traditional teachings on habitual virtue and infused recollection were getting at this and we might understand it as a way in which the Spirit increasingly becomes the animating energy in one's life. Henceforth, the Spirit can direct the faculties this way or that without the resistances wrought by sin.

All very good, and a concomitant phenomena would be the loss of a sense of individual, separate selfhood. I can understand this. Only . . . (you knew this was coming, I'm sure Wink ) it does not follow that metaphysical individuality is lost. In many ways, the spiritual soul is more alive than ever, grateful for its existence, aware of itself as part of the orchestra of creation, a living cell in the Body of Christ, filled with love and compassion for all beings. Neither has the soul lost touch with its spiritual powers -- especially intellectual life and freedom. The latter is habitually given over to goodness and holiness, but choices still must be made, at least as long as we are in this world. Regarding intellectual life, it is blessed with an abundance of infused knowledge, but must also, at times, learn new skills and knowledge, and even use deductive reasoning to achieve certain tasks. This is how it goes on planet earth.

In short, the closer one draws to God, the more one becomes "oneself," or the person God created one to be. Love differentiates and individuates while unifying, so that the soul in full union lives by the life of the Spirit, fully awake to itself, creation and God, with an abundance of joy and peace to reinforce its "direction."

What is noticeably lacking in BR and others is an accounting for this metaphysical level of consideration. I notice in the preface to her response to Jim Marion, she refers to the soul, but she never took much to this in our correspondence, always blowing it off with phrases like "the soul is the body" or "whenever I looked within for a 'principle of life,' all I could see was God." Yet it's obvious that what the Church attributes to the soul is still very much present with her, along with the obvious limitations that come with being a creature, as you also noted. Until she finally addresses this issue, the marvelous journey she has so generously shared with us in her writings will be seriously deficient and subject to create unnecessary confusion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] w.c. (who is opting out of direct participation for various reasons) sends the following observations:

quote:
They obviously are agent-oriented in terms of language, and exhibit distinctive personality characteristics, but the bodily organism's intelligence has taken over the space of awareness to such a degree that what seemed to be under self direction is now known, experientially, to have never been the case.
[/qb]
That's along the right lines, in that it explains how such a pronounced personality can continue after the falling away of the usual self-concept.

quote:
[qb]In short, the closer one draws to God, the more one becomes "oneself," or the person God created one to be.[/qb]
I think that's what mystifies people about B. She is clearly close to God, loves God, and this is the whole focus of her life. But at the same time this peppery personality continues to function. People wonder why, with her advanced interior experience and understanding, she doesn't at the same time permanently exude love and compassion.

Four people who went on her 2006 retreat wrote up their accounts in detail (and thanks to the four of them for doing this):

http://www.tatfoundation.org/forum2006-08.htm#1

http://www.tatfoundation.org/forum2006-10.htm#6

B's mind certainly classifies things into black and white categories. I think this lack of nuance is why she makes these apparently inconsistent statements. One moment, she is 100% orthodox; the next moment, parts of the Creed are 100% wrong. One moment a Buddhist verse is 100% on the mark; the next, Buddhist doctrine is 100% wrong. If she would qualify her assertions, there would be less inconsistency.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for those references, Derek. I could add a few others to the inconsistencies you mention. I don't know how to explain the confrontational style that others described except that this is how her formation has left her. It can come across as uncharitable and even arrogant, only there's no doubt in her mind that her viewpoints are the truth (or Truth, as she would say) and it's therefore in your best interest to drop the nonsense and "get it."

Another angle from the Catholic perspective is that everything that B bases on "revelations" rooted in her experience is to be considered "private revelation." There's been no shortage of people who've emerged through the centuries with some "new message" or "correction" to offer, and some have actually been helpful. Still, the Church has developed a process for dealing with this:
- http://www.catholicplanet.com/...ions/discernment.htm
- http://www.catholic.com/librar...ivate_revelation.asp
- http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0011bt.asp

Note that one of the guidelines is "freedom from theological error," and there's a problem with B in that regard -- e.g., my opening post on her point about the Logos not incarnating in an individual human being. Most telling in this regard was a comment she made on her retreat (from your second link above):
"I never liked the man Jesus or had a special devotion to him. To me the big mystery was Christ."

Horrors! Frowner I've always suspected as much, but there she comes right out and says it. The problem, here, is that in Christianity, "Christ" means "the annointed one," and that would be Jesus. There's no separating the man Jesus from the Christ as Jesus IS the Christ (and what's not to like about Jesus, anyway?). She probably means by "Christ" the divinity Whom Jesus embodies, but that would be the "Word," not "Christ." Maybe! But it also seems that, for her, there's nothing of the human Jesus after the Ascension, and that's a serious error, imo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] ... Most telling in this regard was a comment she made on her retreat (from your second link above):
"I never liked the man Jesus or had a special devotion to him. To me the big mystery was Christ."

Horrors! Frowner I've always suspected as much, but there she comes right out and says it. [/qb]
Yes, HORRIFYING, I agree. That's what I was picking up in her when I said her words "turned my stomach." I felt a little queezy/sick about it for several hours. I think it's the same thing that left REBECCA feeling "depressed" when she read her book.

There's a kind of recklessness and even a serving up of empty food in some of her discussion.

Phil, I like what you shared of w.c.'s comments,(thanks w.c. Smiler ) and your analogy to learning to drive a car. There is a sense, so powerful as to be an *illlusion*, that one has no self in non-duality, energy is moving through you so automatically as to feel like you are not the one doing the driving...I know what that's like...but really, it's just that the band of your vibration has just increased, so to speak, not disappeared!

YEs, free will, it follows us like our shadow in whatever state of consciounsess, tells us we are responsible, we are limited, it's not God, not luck, not fate, but our choices that make shape reality...I was just thinking that myself this morning...here is Bernadette making free will choices about how she treats people and having to face the consequences of her actions.

Her reluctance to deal with a her metaphysical soul does seem like a serious deficit, as you mention, and it makes me wonder, as I often do Smiler , about why the resistance?

The illusion of no-self must be held up by some pretty powerful resistance. At the risk of being "too psychoanalytical," I wonder if some of her arrogance and denial of an inviduality is a defense against the vulnerability that her 'owning' an individual self /soul would stimulate? She might have to say "I'm sorry...I was wrong...that was a hateful thing I said."

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
On my own journey, there are many distinctions that I have found very useful for processing my various experiences. For example, I feel like I can legitimately distinguish between:

1) phenomenal states
2) developmental stages
3) psychic structures
4) epistemological faculties
5) ontological categories
6) metaphysical realities
7) positivist sciences
8) philosophic (normative) sciences
9) practical sciences (including theological)
10) theotic sciences (e.g. formative spirituality)

When it comes to the experience of no self , in particular, I have found Merton's distinctions especially useful:

1) existential vs theological
2) apophatic vs kataphatic
3) natural vs supernatural
4) immanent vs transcendent
5) impersonal vs personal

Further, from Merton, I came to better understand that the false self is a necessary part of our development and is not lost but transcended on the journey of transformation, which is to say that we go beyond it but not without it as we grow in likeness to God. This is not incompatible with the view that I recently shared regarding my own philosophical conception of nonduality here at Shalomplace:
quote:
I do not see anything wrong with viewing creation and creatures as quasi-autonomous realities that exist in God with both the Creator and the created order operating in and through a Divine matrix of interrelated causes and effects.
So, I certainly do not equate any conception of the transcendence of this False Self with an experience of the No Self. Rather, I equate the latter with what Arraj has described as the loss of the affective ego. And we should be aware that this is a very complex psychospiritual dynamic that doesn't lend itself to facile analyses and diagnoses, whether from this depression or that, dark nights, enlightenment, the threshold of contemplation, infused contemplation and so on.

I am grateful to people like Ken Wilber, Tony deMello and Bernadette Roberts for the depth of their personal sharing and the breadth of their imagination and intellection. It provides much food for thought and experiential grist for the formative spirituality mill. My chief criticism is that they have all, in one way or another, committed major category errors vis a vis, for example, the many distinctions I have outlined above. Above all, whatever it is that is going on vis a vis their own phenomenal states, psychic structures and developmental stages, they have drawn sweeping and unwarranted conclusions regarding metaphysical realities, in my view.

Below are some Shalomplace musings from yesteryear that discuss my understanding of the Loss of the Affective Ego vis a vis my processing of my own experiences through Merton's insights. They can be found in context here.

quote:
I cannot report a loss of affect as much as I can discern, rather, a tendency for feelings to follow me into action rather than leading me into action.

St. Thomas described how our love of God increases in proportion to our knowledge of God. And this is true.

St. Bernard described how our knowledge of God increases in proportion to our love of God. This, too, is true.

The knowledge of God that St. Bernard describes, however, surpasses that which St. Thomas was speaking and writing about. St. Thomas was talking about that knowledge of God that comes from both natural and supernatural revelation, a discursive knowing that increases through our study of philosophy, metaphysics, theology and such, such a knowing as could never attain to God's essential nature even as it might infinitely advance toward same.

The love of which both Thomas and Bernard spoke of, however, can indeed communicate with God's essential nature, leading one to a mysterious type of knowledge that certainly informs our normative sciences (of logic, aesthetics and ethics) and descriptive sciences (for instance, natural science) but which also far surpasses them, a knowledge difficult to describe or articulate. Such a love, I believe, is experienced on the threshold of contemplation.

Such is the love which casts out all fear. And here is the link to the loss of the affective ego that I'd like to explore. The perfect love that casts out all fear is a love that has grown in dependency on God, has learned to trust God, that knows that, however bad the situation or dire the circumstances, in the final analysis, all will be well. It is the mystical love of Julian that sings all may, can, will and shall be well and is the realization of the promise that you will know that all manner of things will be well. Here, then, is the distinction we draw between existential fear and neurotic fear, existential guilt and neurotic guilt, existential anger and neurotic anger, the existential always in service of life and love and relationship, the neurotic invariably life-detracting, love-detracting, relationship-destroying. We are not dealing only with neuroses that are overcome in the process of individuation but also those sinful resistances to conversion that are overcome on our journey of transformation, distinct but intertwined realities.

So, I would describe the loss of the affective ego as an energy inversion whereby the emotions and feelings and affective life don't so much energize our behaviors by initiating them but rather energize our behaviors by reinforcing them. It seems that this state could be effected all of a sudden through some precipitating event or could arise through time and a habit of virtue.

I will stop here as my thoughts are fogging up, but there is a dynamic of love and surrender that seems to be involved and either a sudden metanoia or a force of habit where this dynamic is concerned?

Love, eminently reasonable, needs no reason, inasmuch as it is sufficient unto itself. Happiness, finally, cannot be pursued but must ensue. So, too, with good feelings. They aren't needed but will often ensue, which is to say, follow, love.

Merton noted that often, when we are in pain and conflict and contradiction, we incorrectly associate same with old wounds, with old injuries that truly have been resolved and healed already. During such times, Merton encourages us to consider the very real possibility that we are, rather, being invited to open ourselves to a new level of being through such pain and conflict and contradiction. In other words, if we are not properly attentive, then we run the risk of stagnation, desolation and aridity, sometimes for months or years, dwelling on the wrong integrative and transformative issues, missing the invitation to move to another level, a level that could be attained in a day even.

One of the chief obstacles to advancing in the spiritual life, then, is to gain a certain clarity of vision regarding the route to sanctity or to psychological integration (routes that are much intertwined) and then acting as if the vision itself is the attainment when, in fact, it is not the mapping of the journey that marks our growth but the walking of the road, which is to say that, if you are on the illuminative or unitive way, then get on with it, and so on. Further, the mapping never involves the entire journey but entails, rather, our next good step, a step which is the spiritual equivalent of taking the entire journey Thus it is that the entire road is traversed, one step at a time in faith with the trust that that step is truly what is required for now, for today. We can get caught up with seeing the road and then fail to walk it, is our constant peril.

Two lessons here: Sometimes one has to quit beating one's head against the wall just because it feels good when you stop. Sometimes one has to quit circling the same developmental block on the journey just because some of the signs look the same, which is to say that emotional memories can get in the way by misleading us into thinking that our pain is rooted in old unresolved issues when it is moreso about leading us in a new direction entirely (with a genesis in new issues), inviting us to another level entirely. Then, once we see this new direction, it is of the essence to WALK it and not merely content ourselves in the consolation of SEEING it!

Well, this is a very loose rendering of the meaning I gathered from Merton and any misconstructions are my own. I will leave it to the forum to sort through how the integration/transformation of the affective ego fits in, for that may be a better way of describing what I think is going on in what is being called the loss of the affective ego. Point is that old emotional memories can get improperly associated with new spiritual emergence issues and that we can misdiagnose the reason for our present pain, conflict and contradiction.

I believe it was in that very same lecture that Merton noted that the spiritual path and the path of scientific breakthroughs is analogous. Specifically, the steps are: 1) We find an issue, sort through it and set about to solve it. 2) We grapple and grapple with it until we realize that it is virtually irresolute, unsolvable, beyond us, too difficult. 3) We let go and move on. 4) Sometimes, years later, the solution comes to us in an instant, in a flash.

Nothing very profound here. We've all used this apporach in balancing our checkbooks, eh? But the point is that that is how our human natures are constructed and that that is how our unconscious and conscious minds and spirits seem to interface.

Seeing after not before is axiomatic for the spiritual mapping of the journey. Others' journeys, even those of the great mystical doctors, let's say the Carmelites like John of the Cross and Teresa of Jesus, can give us touchpoints for the journey, indications that we are on the road, but they have no predictive value. The same is true with Ignatian and sanjuanian discernment such as re: consolation and desolation, maybe even such as regarding loss of affect, depression, acedia, beginnings of contemplation -- where we are moreso discerning retrospectively and not so much being guided prospectively.

Finally, BINGO re: this wisdom as not being a property of the mind even though it works very much in concert with the mind. The contemplative gaze in love transcends our cognitive and discursive faculties and penetrates through to the Divine Essence, actually communicating and relating to God's essential nature, a nature that is, in principle, incomprehensible.

We must be careful, however, in confusing incomprehensible with unintelligible. If these experiences were unintelligible and God was unintelligible, this forum wouldn't be possible, huh?
Another Mertonesque thought: We are moving toward an existential realization of how critical to our spiritual survival prayer really is. This realization is attained when we feel our need for prayer as acutely as we would feel the need for a breath when underwater.

That is my crude rendering from memory. I think this has something to say to us all whether we are called to discursive mediation, lectio, meditatio, oratio, contemplatio, operatio or what have ya. Whatever our prayer gift as led by the Spirit, it is to be engaged with the sense of critical and acute and urgent need that affirms our radical dependence and perennial state of existential crisis.

Now, don't get Merton wrong. This is all dialectical. One moves into crisis to lose crisis. One loses self to gain self. First, there is a mountain. Then, there is no mountain. Then, there is. One recognzies one's radical dependency to move to place of radical trust. One experiences one's emptiness and abject poverty to realize one's utter fullness. One moves into paradox and pain and contradiction to realize that, whatdaya know, all is well.

This is something re: the loss of self that is affirmed by the Sufi (Islamic)and the Hasidic (Jewish) mystics and that Merton, building on Buber as well as the Sufis, so well understood.

So, too, with human affects and desires. John of the Cross speaks of disordered appetites and Ignatius speaks of inordinate desires. It is not the appetite or desire we seek to eradicate, ultimately, but through proper ascticism and renunciation, we lose our emotional energy that intitiates so many of our behaviors (both virtue and vice) only to regain it to reinforce our virtues. Think of Ignatian discernment re: consolation and desolation, for example, and of how the different spirits console or afflict us, variously, as we either cooperate with Grace or backslide.

This dialectic is working, I believe, with the affective ego. Now, there may be something very deeply analogous going on with spiritual consolations and desolations and psychological affects that is not completely identical. This could account for how psychologically developmentally deformative influences might intefere/interact with spiritually transformative processes. This is no easy nut to crack and might profoundly influence with what facility one moves through an existential crisis to the experience of no-crisis-after-all. IOW, a spiritual emergence issue that gets foisted upon someone may not achieve its dialectical goal of teaching one to breathe underwater but could, for all practical purposes, drown a person.

When He knew for certain only drowning men could see Him, He said all men shall be sailors, then, until the sea shall free them.

continuing with Merton

Merton speaks of a Sufi scholar, who draws many parallels to psychoanalysis, which is to say who sees the therapy process as analogous to the spiritual journey.

If in therapy our primary concern is the resolution of unresolved subconscious conflicts, then Sufism might be thought of in the same way, only on a deeper level.

In therapy and normal individuation, we are resolving certain conflicts, the resolutions of which 1) take us from an infantile level, take us from the merely instinctual animal to a human type of being where our cognitive and affective development is concerned 2) then further take us and adapt us to successful social and cultural beings.

Many struggle at the first level, such as with an Oedipus complex, by way of example, staying Momma's boys their entire life, but most get through it to the second level of struggle, some falling prey to escapes from the difficult realities of social-cultural life. AA is an example of a good way to deal with such evasions, helping primarily by providing motives to change, wise to the fact that one has to want to change in order to change and no one can do it for us. This is pretty much where conventional therapy stops, helping one deal with one's neurotic evasions of social responsibility.

This, however, is insufficient for bringing about the general honesty required to go deeper and to become an authentic human who has faced life's fundamental challenges, life's BIGGER problems, gaining life's existential awareness.

What are these BIG PROBLEMS? 1) continuity vs discontinuity - death 2) creativity - having a life that is meaningful, a presence that makes a difference.

What are the mistakes that even analysts/therapists make here? What mistakes are made by us as individuals at this level? We treat these issues as if they were problems of social adaptation (that second level we talked about). IOW, if you are esteemed by your society or in a particular cultural milieu, then you've conquered these problems, your presence not only has made a difference but lives on, in a manner of speaking. WRONG! This "solution" leads people into a further evasion from a truly meaningful life. This blueprint is wrong and must be torn up and thrown away. [Think here of our affective reward system and not only what vices are reinforced by certain emotions but also by what so-called virtues are being reinforced by our range of emotions. There needs to be a rewiring.]

What is called for, rather, is a BREAKTHROUGH into existential awareness. IOW, we recognize that this social esteem and instinctual control we have gained is MEANINGLESS, not meaningless, to be sure, for our functioning in ordinary life, but certainly in terms of life's ultimate meaning. {Here Merton recommends Viktor Frankl.]

So, from this deeper level, our social success is meaningless. On one hand, though, it is great and necessary, but, otoh, it is TOTALLY NUTS!

How do we get in touch with what is needed on the deeper level? Through the Psalmist is one way, for the deeper level whether praying the mad, glad or sad psalms is always GOD.

The CROSS is the demonstration of this struggle, the realization of this conflict in Jesus, a conflict between the establishment of the religion, such as in society, on one hand, and the realization of authentic religion, such as in one's heart, otoh. It REJECTS the silly notion of "Keep the rules and there you've got all the answers," which Merton calls a wooden nickel. It similarly rejects: "Don't keep the rules," which is a stupid form of the same silly game.

The ultimate solution to our biggest subconscious unresolved conflicts, our existential questions, is experiencing our rootedness in God, God in our very hearts. Death loses its significance as an end because we are already finalities, already ends unto ourselves because of our being-in-God, being-in-love, which is sufficient unto itself with no further reason or justification. Our creativity is found in our issuing forth from the Creator and not in anything we do to gain social approval or cultural amenities. The obligational has become aspirational. One then studies and prays, fastening and binding one's spirit to God, clinging to God, after the manner I wrote about previously, needing prayer as badly as one who is under water needs a breath. Then, in all we see and experience, God is present, and we don't at all take seriously the self we have to be to operate in society, the role playing, the best things in life not being demanded by us but received a pure gift from God FOR ME, who lets God be Himself in me, when my false self has vanished.

The old emotional programming, that was even formative and not deformative, must be re-wired, in order to move on to the deeper level of a human being-in-love-with-God. Hence the dark Nights. Hence, the transformation of the affective ego as we move from a false to a true self.
re: The old emotional programming, that was even formative and not deformative, must be re-wired, in order to move on to the deeper level of a human being-in-love-with-God. Hence the dark Nights. Hence, the transformation of the affective ego as we move from a false to a true self.

continuing -

Hence, what Merton is describing is our social persona, which must die. True enough, our formation from the animal-instinctual to the social-cultural self is required, is necessary for the journey. In fact, we cannot surrender this self to the Cross, which is to say, to the existential crisis, until we have fully come into possession of same.

The existential crisis, then, involves a confrontation of the I with the not I , of the true self with the false self, and, when it is upon us, everything we see and observe and relate to in our existence is then seen through the lens of this crisis, of this Cross.

For society-at-large, then, the Gospel is this lens. The problem is that we have talked about the Cross so much, about the Gospel so much, that we have, in some sense, trivialized it and robbed it of its profound and radical significance for our individual lives and our lives in community. While in this crisis, however, we come to realize that the reason the world has so many huge problems -- socially, culturally, politically, economically -- is because of people, people like me who are living on a phony, superficial level of existence, out of contact with our true source, Who is God, alone.

The ultimate idolatry, then, is our self. So, we take this socially-formed self and crucify it and it is not like going to a movie or coming into an Internet discussion forum but is, rather, much more like walking into a fire.

The reward system, the reinforcement mechanisms, the old emotional programs, which worked so well for those of us who made it through our formative years with more formation, reformation and information than deformation, must be transformed. This mirrors, in fact, how our loving knowledge of God no longer comes through our senses, no longer is accompanied by sensible consolations, but is a direct communication with the Divine Essence that is beyond our discursive faculties. All of this is a massive upheaval of the way things have been for us --- cognitively, affectively, morally even, for it is no longer a mere following of the rules that brings one closer to God, although that part of our formation was absolutely necessary. This is a huge project and undertaking, multilayered and multitextured and quite unique for each individual, although we have discussed the touchpoints and the mapping of this journey.

The soul now approaches the God, Who needn't approach, Who dwells within, and the heart remains restless that has not made God its all. Rooted in God in radical trust and surrender, a new reward and reinforcement system gets set in place, where Love of self for sake of self has been transcended by love of God for sake of self, which has been transcended by love of God for sake of God, 'til, finally, our true self emerges and we love that self for the sake of God. The dialectic takes us back into self-possession, paradoxically, by self-surrender. This has cognitive, affective and moral aspects.

This is why we are here.
What comes to mind with respect to adulterers and murderers like both King Herod and King David, is what, ultimately, makes the difference between our going Herod's route or that of David?

To a certain extent, all that society asks by way of reformation is that we be rehabilitated into a good social persona, that we function well in our interpersonal dealings -- politically, econmomically, socially and culturally. IOW, society asks that we follow the rules, that we obey the law. Adherence to the Law is what was required of these Old Testament persons, in accordance with the Old Covenant. David became a good man and a great king by meeting these standards. He became his true self, the psalmist, when he went deeper in his relationship to God.

So, in its very essence, the Old Covenant very much corresponds to that second level of development, that which pertains to our socialization, and, although there were certain prophecies and foreshadowings, the crosses borne by these peoples were not the same as THE CROSS. Certainly, there must have always been some opportunity for humans on earth to partake of the transformative process effected by Jesus for once and for all through his birth, life, passion, death and resurrection. Indeed, many did undergo such radical transformation, especially, one might suspect, someone like David, the Psalmist, who points the way to Jesus, to the Father, in the Spirit.

At the same time, the explicit announcement of the New Testament, the proclamation of the Good News, the living out of the Gospel, of the Kerygma, through the Cross, marked an existential crisis at a global level for ALL PEOPLES, and played itself out as, not a total renunciation but, as a total surpassing of the old way. This is directly analogous to the death to self that is called for on the journey of each individual but involved a type of death for the People of God as a whole, who were being called to a new level of intimacy.

Again, we invoke, as individuals, because we have been convoked, as an entire People of God. We are called as a People and respond, radically alone (in many respects), as individuals.

Another lesson that is taught about David by Louis Evely (whom Phil will fondly recalled) is That Man Is You , which is to say: what is wrong with the world is ME.

What happens as we make the turn and drop the persona, which, again, was formatively necessary, is that we seek enlightenment out of compassion for the world, which constantly suffers our unenlightened selves. No longer are we in search of consolation or sensible positive affect because Perfect Love is its own reward, is totally unconditional, entirely kenotic.

We lay down our false selves, not for our own benefit, not because we are tired of the pain it causes us, but because of the pain we are transmitting to our loved ones, to the world. Any pain that is not thusly transformed, however neurotic or psychotic or emotional or idiopathic, we transmit to others. We seek to be rid of this pain that we may desist from transmitting it to others. Perfect Love and Perfect Contrition are inextricably bound up. It is suffcient to enter the Kingdom, through the law, through the old gate, of following the rules and being sorry for the consequences to ourselves when we don't. That was the old way and it still works.

BUT, if we take up our cross, go through the existential crisis, and come to that breakthrough where we are moreso sorry for our sin because of the consequences to others and to God, then we crucify the Old Man and rise as a New Creation, seeking the contemplative gaze, as Teresa says, not so much for the consolations but, rather, in order to gain the strength to serve. We become Christs. We allow God to be God-in-us, our truest selves. This isn't a requirement, but it is an invitation. The most important one that any of us will RSVP or not.

Let me insert this here. Losing something like fear does not mean that we have come to any pollyannish conclusion that all of the bad things that could happen to us are not going to happen --- rather, it means that, we know full well they are even likely to happen but are nothing, ultimately, to fear. So, too, with guilt, anger ... We give up the neurotic version in exchange for the existential version, which is quite THE CROSS to arrive at the resurrected version, which is ALL IS WELL.

This, too, is dialectical, like the Kingdom. It is on its way. It has already arrived. Paradise is ours to inherit. It is already in our hearts. All is decidely NOT well, temporally, in this earthly tent wherein we dwell, BUT, in reality, ours is a robe of resplendent glory and, eternally (not at the end of time or for a long time, but outside of time where we have both origin and destiny), ALL is, indeed, well.

Another distinction from Merton.

Merton discusses two of the types of confessio, of confession, but I don't recall the latin terms for both. One was laude or praise. The other was re: the more familiar "It was me. I done it." that we know from the Rite of Reconciliation and from police shakedowns, or parental busts re: hands in cookie jars.

This distinction makes for rich reflection and meditation but I'll try to control my imagination and focus on the transformative process.

The confession of praise is the converse: "It was God. He done it."

The psalms are about 50:50 penitential supplication taking the form of "I done it" and of praise taking the form of adoration of "He done it."

Now, there comes a point where we pass through existential crisis or a series of crises and recognize that there is little meritorious effort on our behalf other than cooperation with grace and that all else is pure unmerited Grace. This is part of recognizing our radical dependence on God, Whom we can trust because, well, look around at What He Done!

My point pertaining to this thread, however, is that, prior to getting to that place of praise and He Done It, we must get both to the place of I Done It re: our abject sinfulness as well as It Isn't/Wasn't Me! re: our manifold blessings and very existence.

Part of the nondual experience, then, is the existential realization of It Isn't Me --- not this creation, not these feelings, not these thoughts, not any rule-following or goodness, iow, It Isn't Me cognitively, affectively or morally, that's responsible for starting all of this, holding it all together and taking it anywhere.

This can be quite liberating.

The famous singer-songwriter, James Taylor, once made a wisecrack about AA, saying that half of the people that are in it are trying to come to the realization that they are not God, while the other half had the job once and are desperately busy trying to tender their resignation.

Well, it isn't enough to stop with It Isn't Me, and that, I believe, is where an existential experience of the no-self can leave us. But this apophatic realization must be dialectically related to HE DID IT! IT'S HER! and this is the positive, kataphatic content that is truly fitting and proper, coming from a tongue that cannot confess same without the initiative of the Spirit's prompting.

So, the loss of the affective ego can occur, in any of the many ways we have conceived it and experienced it, I think, and particularly in a manner that Merton wisely discerned was apophatic, natural, impersonal, existential, but needing completion in the kataphatic, supernatural, personal and theological, these processes nurturing and mutually enriching and entailing one another. This is where Tony deMello went awry to some extent in some of his later work and it is where Bernadette likely errs, too.

Point is, the confession of It's Not Me is necessary but not sufficient.

posted Hide Post
Phil, I didn't realize how LONG that last quote was going to be. Feel free to edit or crop it or move it or whatever. I gotta run.

pax!
jb

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
[qb]The illusion of no-self must be held up by some pretty powerful resistance. At the risk of being "too psychoanalytical," I wonder if some of her arrogance and denial of an inviduality is a defense against the vulnerability that her 'owning' an individual self /soul would stimulate? She might have to say "I'm sorry...I was wrong...that was a hateful thing I said." [/qb]
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Shasha.

On that 2006 retreatant's report, B says: "Your intellect should run the show. You need to learn how to keep the emotions in check." The thought that occurred to me as I read that was: "Defense mechanism."

Similarly, on p. 20 (1991 edition) of The Path to No-Self, she describes a movement of her experiencing from "below the neck" to "above the neck."

I reckon she's completely cut herself off from large parts of what's happening with her on a gut level, and that she is totally, totally unaware of how aggressive her outbursts are. "No self awareness" leads eventually to "No Self"; the defense mechanism is raised to the level of a theological principle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derek:
[qb] ...
I reckon she's completely cut herself off from large parts of what's happening with her on a gut level, and that she is totally, totally unaware of how aggressive her outbursts are. "No self awareness" leads eventually to "No Self"; the defense mechanism is raised to the level of a theological principle. [/qb]
It's hard for us to know, of course, as we're speculating based on a few things here and there, but I do wonder about the folks who are metaphysically advanced in terms of their expanded consciousness...isn't new learning / growing psychologically still possible... even necessary as they carry on the task of "equipping and perfecting" the Body of Christ?

Priase God...that's all I can say for sure these days...

posted Hide Post
As I have observed, mostly from a distance, the discussions of nonduality over the years, my lingering impression, to put it most succinctly, is that confusion tends to reign whenever epistemological observations get extrapolated into ontological conclusions.

By epistemological, I mean all the different categories that people use for describing how it is that we think we know what it is we might know. Some of these are:

1) sensation 2) thinking 3) intuition and 4) feeling;

1) descriptive 2) prescriptive 3) evaluative and 4) interpretive;

1) memory 2) understanding 3) will;

1) cognitive 2) affective 3) instinctual;

1) subjective 2) objective 3) intersubjective 4) interobjective;

1) positivist - science 2) philosophic 3) theistic 4) theotic;

1) empirical 2) rational 3) practical 4) relational;

1) apophatic 2)kataphatic 3) affective 4) speculative;

and so on and so forth, some more psychological, some more philosophical, some categories a blend of such categories.

It is also my belief that, in large measure, our epistemological faculties are geared toward distinctly human value-realizations and therefore correspond, at least roughly, to the values of 1)truth 2) beauty 3) goodness and 4)unity, which, for example, religions express in 1) creed 2) cult 3) code and 4) community.

As we move from one value-realization approach to the next, different of our epistemic faculties will seem to enjoy a primacy, which is to say that they will come to the fore in our experience. For example, during liturgy, in our cultivation of beauty, we may be at certain points, mostly affectively engaged. Or, when doing science, we may be moreso cognitively engaged, empirically focused. The important point, here, is that epistemic primacy doesn't imply epistemic autonomy.

These different categories do represent different faculties which, for the most part, do correspond to different methodologies which are autonomous. For example, faith and reason are autonomous. Positivist sciences and normative sciences are autonomous. Apophatic encounters of reality and kataphatic encounters are distinct, are autonomous. Our social-relational experiences that might inspire assent are autonomous from our empirical-rational engagements that might inspire speculation. Our practical approaches are autonomous from our theoretical speculations.

To recognize that these approaches to reality are autonomous is to recognize that they involve radically different commitments in the form of value-realizations, pursuing truth, beauty, goodness or unity, for example, and that they employ radically different terms and categories, which is to recognize that they are not logically-related. The important point here is that just because our different epistemic faculties are not logically-related does not mean that they are not intellectually-related.

And we know this, for example, from Helminiak's hierarchy of the positivist, philosophic, theistic and theotic foci of human concern, each which appropriates the other. And we know this from the way that faith relates to reason in fides et ratio. And we know this from Jungian psychology and Enneagram paradigms that relate the faculties of sensation, thinking, feeling and intuition to our cognitive, affective and instinctual levels. And we know this as we travel from the IS to the OUGHT, the given to the normative, the descritive to the prescriptive, in our natural law interpretations and moral reasoning. And we know this from our affirmation of such as Occam's Razor, where symmetry and beauty and facility guide us to truth. And we know this whenever it seems that truth comes flying in on the wings of beauty and goodness, uplifted by unity. The important point here is that just because these different epistemic faculties often enjoy a primacy in this or that value-realization, just because they are methodologically autonomous, just because they are intellectually-related even if not logically-related, just because they are integrally-related, just because EACH IS NECESSARY in every human value-realization DOES NOT MEAN THAT ANY IS SUFFICIENT for an given value-realization.

I suppose the practical upshot of what I am saying is that we cannot take these different epistemic faculties, which are indeed integrally-related and claim that they are otherwise somehow holonic.

From evolutionary epistemology, we know that ours is an ecological rationality, which is to recognize that our different epistemic faculties, methodologies and sensibilities interact within various dialectical, trialectical and tetradilectical tensions to help navigate us toward every human value-realization.

Some seem to suggest that any given epistemic approach enjoys primacy, autonomy and sufficiency for all human value-realizations, by suggesting that the other approaches are, on this occasion or that, not necessary due to some holonic dynamism that allows them to somehow inhere each in the other. This is a fantastical claim and not borne out in human experience. It is a falsifiable claim. It leads to radical apophaticisms and gnostic arationalisms.

The different epistemic faculties, methodologies and sensibilities that are integrally-related and holistically (NOT holonically)-engaged in every human value-realization, however otherwise autonomous, are all necessary, are none --- alone ---sufficient, and navigate us toward our realization of human values through a creative tetradilectical tension. One of those value-realizations is metaphysical knowledge, which yields ontological insights about creation and Creator, which further informs our theological speculations, which, in turn, have a weighty practical significance for our approach to theosis, which has profound influence on our life of prayer, our life in community, our unitive strivings, our formative spiritualities and our transformative journeys. And this is why I see such a real danger in the radical apophaticisms and gnostic arationalisms that come from the category errors of those who wrongly extrapolate nondual epistemological experiences to such broad, sweeping ontological conclusions regarding, even, such metaphysical realities as the essential description of the Creator-creature relationship. To engage in a seemingly robust description of a Reality to Whom we can otherwise only vaguely refer (according to all time-honored dogma of every Abrahamic tradition) is heterodox, indeed. One of the reasons that it is difficult to robustly describe the interplay of our different human faculties, that it is difficult to attain explanatory adequacy for exactly how this tertradilectical tension navigates us toward our value-realizations, in my view, is precisely because we are made in the image and likeness of God, which is to recognize and affirm an unfathomable depth dimension to our human experience of God, creation and one another. We are fearfully and wondrously made! It is nothing to trivialize through reductionistic accounts, nothing to romanticize through overly simplistic and pietistic accounts. It is something, instead, to inspire mysterium tremendum et fascinans!

There are time-honored traditions for discerning spirits, for evaluating alternating consolations and desolations, for recognizing the fruits of the Spirit, for the treatment of private revelation, for the recognition of true prophetic voices, for guaging the journey to human authenticity via intellectual conversion, affective conversion, moral conversion, sociopolitical conversion and religious conversion. By their fruits, then, ye shall know them. If there is one fruit that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, then it is impolitic speech and incivil, ad hominem discourse. Let us explore, then, the creative tension between competing ideas and downplay any interpersonal tension, which is, rather, destructive of all that leads to truth, beauty, goodness and unity.

posted Hide Post
Dear John Boy,

No offense, but it is difficult to follow and understand much of your posts. It's clear that you are brilliant and have a broad base of knowledge and much to offer our discussion. For me, it would be easier to respond to your ideas if you narrowed them down to a few points that were more concise and put in more ordinary terms.

For instance, I'm intrigued by your last sentence above about "where Bernadette likey errs," but don't see what your point is exactly.

Also, I want to comment on your observation above concerning a misdiagnosis of an existential problem as a psychological one. I've noticed that the misdiagnosis can go both ways, as you know. We can attribute some of our needs for God's love and intimacy as needs for human love / the need to heal old wounds. Also, we can feel like it's God we need when the "itch" that needs scratching will only be found in the work of loving those human creatures on our path, doing the work of repentance, forgiveness, healing of relationship wounds, etc.

I'm not sure how this fits in with Bernadette's No-Self illusion (as I see it), but I'm sure you have an idea (or a few) ...
Wink

peace to you!

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] For instance, I'm intrigued by your last sentence above about "where Bernadette likey errs," but don't see what your point is exactly.[/qb]
I'm glad you asked. See my next post, or, rather, my immediately preceding one, which fleshes this out in some detail, perhaps with a little more accessibility.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] Also, I want to comment on your observation above concerning a misdiagnosis of an existential problem as a psychological one. I've noticed that the misdiagnosis can go both ways, as you know. We can attribute some of our needs for God's love and intimacy as needs for human love / the need to heal old wounds. Also, we can feel like it's God we need when the "itch" that needs scratching will only be found in the work of loving those human creatures on our path, doing the work of repentance, forgiveness, healing of relationship wounds, etc.

I'm not sure how this fits in with Bernadette's No-Self illusion (as I see it), but I'm sure you have an idea (or a few) ...
Wink

peace to you! [/qb]
In spiritual direction, it can be a thorny task discerning together existential versus psychological issues, or spiritual emergence/emergencies. In psychology, it can be difficult to diagnose depression as organic or reactive. The point is that none of this lends itself to a facile analysis.

But, also, in spiritual direction, suppose, for example, that one goal is to see ourselves as God see us, to employ an Ignatian approach. Or, perhaps our director has us working through our different conceptions of God, our different images of God. In either case, a proper understanding of our self, our false self, our true self, or even our no-self, and a proper understanding of God, and a proper understanding of who we are called to be in relationship to the world, other people, the self, the devil and the Trinity --- will profoundly impact our life of prayer, our worship, our ministry, our fellowship. If we misconceive God as a stern, unforgiving Father-figure, as an eternal policeman, then it will affect all of the above understandings and experiences of self, other, world and God. If we misconceive the creature-Creator relationship when we come out of a nondual experience, or a no-self experience, then it, too, can profoundly influence all of these other understanding and experiences. This is not just a danger for people immersed in apophatic experiences. We have always recognized that wrongful over- and under-emphases on this or that epistemic capacity can lead to error. For example, an overemphasis on the apohatic and affective can lead to quietism; on the affective and speculative can lead to encratism; on the kataphatic and affective to fideism and pietism; on the kataphatic and speculative to rationalism; and so on and so forth. These encounters are integrally-related. Wrenched out of their context in the whole, they get swollen to madness in their isolation (to borrow a metaphor from CS Lewis). Quietism, arationalism, gnosticism and other insidious -isms are the "fruits" of a tree not planted near living water. But so are rationalism, fideism, pietism, scientism and so on. In my previous post, I prescribe, in mostly philosophical/psychological terms, a remedy, which has significant practical import for the life of prayer and our life in community and our growth in authenticity and interiority.

I don't frequent dicussion forums much nowadays because I do not have the time to give them the justice they deserve in terms of accessibility. Every now and then Phil alerts me to an emerging issue, most often a recycled issue, like this one, and I try to take a quick stab at it --- and find that there are no quick stabs to be had, so I pretty much stay away. Or recycle my old thoughts in new wineskins best I can, which too often burst Wink