Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University Bookstore - required texts Login/Join 
posted
I was in our local university student union the other day to purchase tickets to Late Nite Catechism -- anyone see that?

While waiting for the ticket office to open, I decided to browse in the book store amongst the philosophy textbooks Roll Eyes

The philosophy dept in recent years has expanded its curriculum to offer a religious studies concentration philosophy degree. I was heartened by some of the books that were required reading for various courses. I decided to memorize 5 of the titles and share them here - a tribute to higher public education:
Man's Search for Meaningby Frankl
Night by Elie Weisel
Science and Religion by Jack Haught
Will and Spirit by Gerald May
Dark Night of the Soul by John of the Cross

Brings back memories, eh Phil? Although not of these particular bookshelves when we were in school. Guess this belongs in the Lounge Razzer

just a thought, a nice one
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jb wrote:
The philosophy dept in recent years has expanded its curriculum to offer a religious studies concentration philosophy degree. I was heartened by some of the books that were required reading for various courses. I decided to memorize 5 of the titles and share them here - a tribute to higher public education:
Man's Search for Meaningby Frankl
Night by Elie Weisel
Science and Religion by Jack Haught
Will and Spirit by Gerald May
Dark Night of the Soul by John of the Cross

jb,

I was recently reading the book, "Beyond the Visible" by artist/author Sandy McCartney Ehlers.
In it she mentions the importance of reading twentieth century thinkers. She recommends a book
entitled, "To Hear the Angels Sing: An Odyssey of
Co-Creation with the Devic Kingdom" by Dorothy Maclean of the Findhorn Community. She mentions that the nuns of a certain college had their students studying this title along with the great classics. (p. 18) How refreshing! To see a title by a woman ranked right up there with all those other titles by men! Wink

Are you familiar with the Findhorn Community?
Have you read this book?

Thanks for your kindness to me.

Tee

Posts: 203 | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, those are all books on my must-read list for spiritual directees, along with a few others. Good to see that they have become more mainstream.

For those who may be wondering about the reason for this thread, John and I read and discussed many of them together during our years at LSU in the mid-70's.

Now how do I get any of my books on that list? Cool

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post