Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Holy Ghost the Holy Spirit Login/Join 
posted
Are the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit one and the same. The exact phrase, the gift of the Holy Ghost is used two times in the Bible. The first time is on the day of Pentecost Acts 2:38, and the second time is at the conversion of Cornelius Acts 10:45. The Acts 10 passage further defines this gift as having received the "Holy Ghost" Acts 10:47. The Holy Ghost is directly connected to the baptism with the Holy Ghost.

Was the Holy Ghost brought to earth as God's special presence here before Christ's resurrection and glorification?. Now we are told that we need the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives. John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water, and 39 But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive.

Jesus further told us: "And I will pray the Father and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever, even the Spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him; but ye know Him, for He dwelleth in you, and shall be in you. John 14 16-17. The Holy Ghost is also called the Spirit of Christ Romans 8:9, the Spirit of the Son Galatians 4:6, the Spirit of Jesus Acts 16-7.

In the promised birth told us by Jesus, we know that we need the Spirit and water, and that Spirit gives birth to Spirit. We know that God's Holy Spirit descends upon us and within us living waters flow in this merger, giving us the sacred seed for our new birth of a renewed and birthed spirit. It is a long labor to bring forth the fruit of the Spirit.

I believe that the Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are One, and I wonder if the Holy Ghost is half of the emanation of the Holy Spirit, said half having been here with us on earth until merging back into the Holy Spirit at Jesus Christ's resurrection and ascension to the Father. What comes to mind are our Lord's sorrowful words as He was slipping into death: "My soul is utmost sorrowful unto death". Having gone through the dark night of the soul and experienced the agonies of same, I could actually feel myself present in our beloved Lord's body at that very moment that he spoke these words. When our Lord lay in the tomb, I believe that the Holy Spirit came upon Him and that His soul was reunited with the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit for the resurrection. Our Lord had truly died before God's miracle of the resurrection.

Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are One. Is it possible for the Holy Spirit to express as the Holy Ghost?. This is something I have been praying and meditating about.

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think these two terms are synonyms, Freebird.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I truly hate synonyms because if a word is what it is so be it, without the addition of another word for same. It can lead one into a maize of confusion.

Just this morning during a study, I read that God breathed into Adam the breath of life and made him a living spirit. The Bible tells us that Adam was made a living soul, and that all souls belong to God who is Spirit.

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The KJV uses the word "Holy Ghost" and other translations use the word "Holy Spirit". Not something of great importance.
As we all know, the Greek word for "Spirit",
"Breath", "Ghost" etc are all same. They are synonymous.

Posts: 33 | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post